The Student Room Group

5 essays a week. Is this unreasonable?

So for one of my subjects I get 5 essays a week. Each is about 6 pages A4. They’re to be done nightly and to be handed in every day before 9am.
Is this unreasonable. We were told by the teacher it’s reasonable but I’m struggling to keep up. We’re left to our own devices for a lot of them and by that I mean we’re just told the question and then we have to write the essay we haven’t even brushed upon the topic (to be honest all we do in class is get yelled at for how disgraceful our essays are despite her giving us 100% and also we copy down the same exam techniques).

I have 9 other subjects to manage as well. And before you ask no this isn’t a core subject.

What’s annoying me the most is most of the Essays aren’t relevant to the course at GCSE or A level. They don’t make much sense to me and a lot of them are impossible to answer to her standard (the questions will be like “how does the use of fossil fuels affect life in a country” and turns out you had to talk about McDonald’s. When I say that I don’t mean you had to talk about a fast food chain I meant it had to be McDonald’s idk why it’s not even brushed upon in the question.)
I can’t keep up with it and neither can most of the class but we can’t complain because if she finds out she’s gonna set even more (she said we should be getting 2 a night!!!)
Anyone have any advice I’ve got my essay done for tonight because my other teachers haven’t set much work but other nights I’m working til 10pm all because of her essays
Surely this isn't true...
Original post by Studentboy783
So for one of my subjects I get 5 essays a week. Each is about 6 pages A4. They’re to be done nightly and to be handed in every day before 9am.
Is this unreasonable. We were told by the teacher it’s reasonable but I’m struggling to keep up. We’re left to our own devices for a lot of them and by that I mean we’re just told the question and then we have to write the essay we haven’t even brushed upon the topic (to be honest all we do in class is get yelled at for how disgraceful our essays are despite her giving us 100% and also we copy down the same exam techniques).

I have 9 other subjects to manage as well. And before you ask no this isn’t a core subject.

What’s annoying me the most is most of the Essays aren’t relevant to the course at GCSE or A level. They don’t make much sense to me and a lot of them are impossible to answer to her standard (the questions will be like “how does the use of fossil fuels affect life in a country” and turns out you had to talk about McDonald’s. When I say that I don’t mean you had to talk about a fast food chain I meant it had to be McDonald’s idk why it’s not even brushed upon in the question.)
I can’t keep up with it and neither can most of the class but we can’t complain because if she finds out she’s gonna set even more (she said we should be getting 2 a night!!!)
Anyone have any advice I’ve got my essay done for tonight because my other teachers haven’t set much work but other nights I’m working til 10pm all because of her essays

What??? That is way too much to do as well as all other subjects too. I think perhaps you should speak to her alone and tell her how hard it is to do her work as well as other subjects, because it is vital that you should revise but you also need a break to have time to do what you want and also to give your brain a rest, because if you do non-stop work then none of it will actually settle into your head.
Hope that helped - Best Wishes
It is. Well she doesn’t call them essays and so that makes it acceptable to her but they’re structured like essays would be and take up as much if not more time than the essays I get set for other subjects
Group complaint from whole class and parents is your best bet.
I would be completely mad, tell your parents see if you can lodge a complainthrough school
Is this teacher as quickly marking and giving you feedback on these essays?

Sounds like they’re creating their own impeding workload induced breakdown
Original post by CTLeafez

PRSOM - this is exactly what I was thinking when I read this.

Put it this way she can get through a essay in 30 seconds literally. She may read one line and if it’s bad it could weigh down your entire mark

Entertainingly my maths teacher did this and handed us the last of our work shortly before walking into the exam. I'm not even joking here.

Quick Reply

Latest