The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

I feel like I’ve completely messed up my future

Hey I’m from Coventry and I’m in such a mess right now I really don’t know what to do. When I was at school I really didn’t have a clue what I wanted to do or be, I feel like I’m a completely different person now. I decided not to go to post 16 which I regret so badly, instead I went to college to study for a level 3 diploma in photography (which I passed). However I did not get my maths GCSE, and I never passed it at college. I’m 19 now and after a long think I really want to go to Coventry uni to study international relations and try and do something with my life. Photography is more of a hobby and I don’t even want to study it, I only picked it since it was something I was interested in. But I’ve got no a levels and not gcse maths, so I feel like I’ve screwed myself up and I need some advice or any kind of help. What do I do now?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Nathan27a
Hey I’m from Coventry and I’m in such a mess right now I really don’t know what to do. When I was at school I really didn’t have a clue what I wanted to do or be, I feel like I’m a completely different person now. I decided not to go to post 16 which I regret so badly, instead I went to college to study for a level 3 diploma in photography (which I passed). However I did not get my maths GCSE, and I never passed it at college. I’m 19 now and after a long think I really want to go to Coventry uni to study international relations and try and do something with my life. Photography is more of a hobby and I don’t even want to study it, I only picked it since it was something I was interested in. But I’ve got no a levels and not gcse maths, so I feel like I’ve screwed myself up and I need some advice or any kind of help. What do I do now?

Hi Nathan,

I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. It might be worth a try to contact Coventry University to enquire about the possibility for entry to a foundation year and then proceeding to the international relations course later on. From what you wrote, you currently have a level 3 diploma for photography and you might be qualified for an entry to a foundation programme as the website stated that 'You can apply for a foundation year course if you have: studied for level 3 qualifications, such as A levels or a BTEC National Diploma and Certificate qualifications, but may not have achieved the grades necessary to enter the university course of your choice OR studied for a level 3 qualification but have decided to change subject area.' Alternatively, you might have to do your A levels again as a private candidate? Ring up your previous school and ask if they can help you facilitate this. (Back home it was possible so I assume it is possible in the UK as well) A word of disclaimer, I'm an international student (non-eu) and I'm not too familiar with the education system here so... if a Coventry University rep could reply you, it would be better.

I can empathise with you as I have experienced a similar situation... I really do wish you all the best and let me know if I can help, albeit, I probably won't be much help as I'm not really familiar with how the education system work in the UK.
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest