The Student Room Group

anxious after exam has happenes

any tips for how to stop worrying after an exam? I always feel confident straight afterwards and then read people getting different answers and remember questions i messed up on and feel like i did worse and worse.
Reply 1
when you're worried about something your brain will blow it out of proportion, so it's easy to feel like it's the end of the world. just remind yourself consistently that no matter what happened, it's just an exam. your mind is your biggest enemy, no matter how you did you'll subconsciously think of everything that might've gone wrong making you think you did far worse than you actually did. just keep reminding yourself that your thoughts are not reality. you don't know if you got it wrong. you don't know if their answers are right. you don't know if you failed or passed, so there's not point in stressing yourself out about it now. it's over, that paper is out of your control now. keep reminding yourself of the facts, not your feelings. the facts are that you have no idea how you did, you might've done really well, you won't know until results day. focus on the future, distract yourself, take a break and work on your upcoming exams. but remember, it's completely normal to be worried as well! almost everyone feels this way after an exam, it's just part of the natural stress that comes with it. good luck
Reply 2
never talk about the exam after the exam, never look for answers you werent certain you got right. just forget the exam happened and focus on the next thing you have left, like the next exam, what you want to do after the exam like going out with friends or playing games, its entirely psychological maybe this wont work but to this effect.
Reply 3
Original post by nmegan1
when you're worried about something your brain will blow it out of proportion, so it's easy to feel like it's the end of the world. just remind yourself consistently that no matter what happened, it's just an exam. your mind is your biggest enemy, no matter how you did you'll subconsciously think of everything that might've gone wrong making you think you did far worse than you actually did. just keep reminding yourself that your thoughts are not reality. you don't know if you got it wrong. you don't know if their answers are right. you don't know if you failed or passed, so there's not point in stressing yourself out about it now. it's over, that paper is out of your control now. keep reminding yourself of the facts, not your feelings. the facts are that you have no idea how you did, you might've done really well, you won't know until results day. focus on the future, distract yourself, take a break and work on your upcoming exams. but remember, it's completely normal to be worried as well! almost everyone feels this way after an exam, it's just part of the natural stress that comes with it. good luck

thankyou so much. i'm very prone to overthinking and this really helped :biggrin:
Reply 4
Any tips for exam stress before or during the actual exam?
Reply 5
Original post by Youngreebs
Any tips for exam stress before or during the actual exam?

I'd say, do everything you can to take care of yourself before and during. Eat your favorite meal the night before and get a good nights sleep. Another thing is to know when your exams are, what day they are, what paper, what time, revising for the wrong exam the night before is probably the most stressful thing other than being late. Speaking of, be early to the exam and have everything packed ready for the next day (triple check everything)

Right before exam. You could try cram but it never worked for me, I would just sit somewhere quiet, breathe and just calm down as much as I can. When you sit down make sure you are comfy, bring a water bottle without the label on. Tell the invigilator if your table is wobbly etc. The best thing that calms my nerves is when they say "your exam begins now", I always take a deep breath in, and out through my nose. It really is quite a nice way to begin the exam cos you get the oxygen in.

You got this! I believe you'll do amazing.
Reply 6
Original post by CPJay
I'd say, do everything you can to take care of yourself before and during. Eat your favorite meal the night before and get a good nights sleep. Another thing is to know when your exams are, what day they are, what paper, what time, revising for the wrong exam the night before is probably the most stressful thing other than being late. Speaking of, be early to the exam and have everything packed ready for the next day (triple check everything)

Right before exam. You could try cram but it never worked for me, I would just sit somewhere quiet, breathe and just calm down as much as I can. When you sit down make sure you are comfy, bring a water bottle without the label on. Tell the invigilator if your table is wobbly etc. The best thing that calms my nerves is when they say "your exam begins now", I always take a deep breath in, and out through my nose. It really is quite a nice way to begin the exam cos you get the oxygen in.

You got this! I believe you'll do amazing.

Thank you so much, my exams are next month but this is really helpful!!!

Quick Reply

Latest