The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C.elegans
Thank you for offering to answer questions! I have a few but please feel free to pick and choose

1. What was your strategy for AR? I am trying to use SCANS but I can't seem to find the rule fast enough using this method.

2. What scores were you getting at the start of your practice? and how did you structure your practice?

3. Did you try to get through as many questions as possible sacrificing accuracy, or did you slow it down slightly to be more accurate at the expense of potentially guessing some of the final questions? (sorry this question doesn't make much sense)

4. This isn't a question, but congratulations on getting such a great score in your UCAT and getting all 4 offers!

Of course I would be more than happy to answer!

1. I started using the SCANS technique at the beginning and then the more questions I did the easier it became to identify them. I wrote down which patterns I got wrong in my part if questions and tests and looked over the list everyday. Usually it ended up being the same types of patterns I was getting wrong and also what types of patterns could potentially come up. I think this is definitely one of the sections where the more practice you get, the easier it’ll become to identify patterns quickly. Also it’s best to start with the two simplest boxes from set A and B and try and look for a difference between the two.

2. I started off doing very badly at the start and also closer to the exam too. So I started my prep a month before my exam. I was doing 2 hours and then increased it to 3 hours two weeks before the test and then the week of the test was doing about 5/6 hours. Two weeks before the test I started doing practice tests every other day and then the week of the test did it every day. My highest score I think I got in a mock was 730. But my average score on my mocks was 620. I think the day before my exam on one of the practice tests i did, I got something like 605. Also with SJT I was consistently getting band 2/3. The actual test was the first time I got band 1

3. So with practicing I tried to get as many questions done just so that I would prepared for the many different types of questions that could come up. In the actually exam I made sure I spent a certain amount of time on each question and flagged any I wasn’t sure of. I never left any question blank. I think no matter what and even if you’re running out of time to guess the answers because there is no negative marking and you could potentially get an extra mark just for guessing

4. Thank you so much! And when you come to applying feel free to message me if you need any help or advice!
Original post by Abz231
don't Anglia Ruskin have a low cut-off? around 610 average

Yes sorry and so do St George’s as well. I typed the answer quickly and didn’t realise what I had written but thank you for the correction
Original post by student0299
Yes sorry and so do St George’s as well. I typed the answer quickly and didn’t realise what I had written but thank you for the correction

aha no worries lol was just getting the clarification because I'll be applying there so wanted to make sure
Guys i did the ucat last summer and i went to courses by Blue peanut, honestly theyre soooo good and useful like i learnt things i hadnt actually read on websites or seen on videos. I'd honestly recommend booking a few of their UCAT courses
Original post by vk0109
Hey! I just took a timed test for VR...got 570 (not very happy about it tho)...i'll keep trying:redface:

Omg i was terrible at VR too, ngl i went to a few courses which seemed to be the only thing that helped me, if you want to look into any I'd eefo recommend Blue Peanut, theyre really amazing and i i think theyre doing video versions for this corona year but i acc learnt tips and knowledge from them which i didnt find anywhere else
For ucat..
Passmedicine, kaplan or medify
Reply 786
Original post by User2127891510
For ucat..
Passmedicine, kaplan or medify

I used Medify and pass medicine out of the two. Medify was no doubt my favorite but pass medicine served well as an additional questionbank.
I would advice you to start using Medify first, as their strategy videos are quite useful. Once you get the hang of it, try passmedicine as well.
Original post by Ruksaanali22
Omg i was terrible at VR too, ngl i went to a few courses which seemed to be the only thing that helped me, if you want to look into any I'd eefo recommend Blue Peanut, theyre really amazing and i i think theyre doing video versions for this corona year but i acc learnt tips and knowledge from them which i didnt find anywhere else

Hey! Thank you for the suggestion! I'll have a look! :smile:
Reply 788
Hello people!
Does anyone know any free Ucat resources that you can share with me?
Thank you for your time.☺
Original post by Zedi
Hello people!

I think some resources have been suggested somewhere in this thread already...

Post originally created by ecolier.
Pass medicine, ucat mocks, medic mind videos etc. Youtube ucat vids are brilliant
Original post by Zedi
Hello people!

Passmedicine is free for 6 months and UCAT ninja is free too I think.
How are the bands calculated for the SJT section?
do we start revising now?
Original post by xsowmix

I think there is a certain amount of points for each answer option. Depending on what your points add up to, it decides which band you fall under. I'm not completely sure how true this is as this is something I was told.
I was just wondering if it was worth the money to go on the medical portal UCAT course. Will it really help me that much?
Original post by xsowmix

i found this website on estimations on ucat scores so hope people find this helpful:
https://www.blackstonetutors.co.uk/how-are-ucat-scores-scaled8203.html
Original post by xsowmix

Fully correct questions= 2 marks, partially incorrect questions=1 mark, incorrect questions=0 marks. Total your marks and 70% or above of the total possible marks is a band 1.
Original post by student0299
Of course I would be more than happy to answer!

1. I started using the SCANS technique at the beginning and then the more questions I did the easier it became to identify them. I wrote down which patterns I got wrong in my part if questions and tests and looked over the list everyday. Usually it ended up being the same types of patterns I was getting wrong and also what types of patterns could potentially come up. I think this is definitely one of the sections where the more practice you get, the easier it’ll become to identify patterns quickly. Also it’s best to start with the two simplest boxes from set A and B and try and look for a difference between the two.

2. I started off doing very badly at the start and also closer to the exam too. So I started my prep a month before my exam. I was doing 2 hours and then increased it to 3 hours two weeks before the test and then the week of the test was doing about 5/6 hours. Two weeks before the test I started doing practice tests every other day and then the week of the test did it every day. My highest score I think I got in a mock was 730. But my average score on my mocks was 620. I think the day before my exam on one of the practice tests i did, I got something like 605. Also with SJT I was consistently getting band 2/3. The actual test was the first time I got band 1

3. So with practicing I tried to get as many questions done just so that I would prepared for the many different types of questions that could come up. In the actually exam I made sure I spent a certain amount of time on each question and flagged any I wasn’t sure of. I never left any question blank. I think no matter what and even if you’re running out of time to guess the answers because there is no negative marking and you could potentially get an extra mark just for guessing

4. Thank you so much! And when you come to applying feel free to message me if you need any help or advice!

You are amazing, thank you!
Reply 799
Original post by united4
Pass medicine, ucat mocks, medic mind videos etc. Youtube ucat vids are brilliant

Thank you

Latest

Trending

Trending