The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stereotypeasian
the DM questions in the book don't always have a diagram alongside the question and when I was doing the questions in the book I had to draw a lot of the diagrams by myself
also the QR questions can vary a lot from a few steps in the working to like a whole page (when I was doing it or I was terrible at simple maths haha)

I added the brackets above as Pearson vue first took away the whiteboards + pens which does benefit you in the actual exam and now its "something like until further notice" which isn't helpful and is just adding more uncertainty on whether or not you ARE getting paper/whiteboards to take notes in the exam like every test taker in the years before or if they are doing the new weird scratchpad function so it might be recommend to see how much you are able to do without taking notes

don't think there is a right or wrong way to use the book - its pretty subjective, some people don't do the questions in it and only use it to look at the different questions and familiarize with the layout , other people do every question in it, some people look at it once and forget it exists and might donate it or give to other people, some people choose to use it to focus on the sections they are underperforming it and only do those questions whilst ignoring the other section questions in the book, they might just do the final mock exam at the end of the book and ignore the 30+ pages dedicated for each section

I hope this makes sense....a bit more
did not realise the essay here lol - Good luck :smile:

it makes much more sense now haha, thank you so much for this explanation!! :smile:
Original post by leelokpan
@Razza2000 I read above you have used med entry and would appreciate so much if you could answer these couple questions about it before I purchase...
for the sub tests do u get a ucat score ie 300-900?
did u find it useful?
was it similar difficulty to the real ucat?

ps I think he was using medify

for me, they had this thing that told u the percentile u fell under according to the ppl that use their website. it was saying I was scoring v highly so it gave me a confidence boost really.they do give u a ucat score for all the sections plus Rae marks n breakdowns.etc. it was also quite close to the UCAT difficulty from what I remember. sometimes it referenced Australian stuff in the sjt but not that much. yeah, it's good. I just used it as if it was more medify stuff.
Yeah cheers man really appreciate the response. So from what I’m hearing u seem to recommend it highly? @Razza2000
Where the percentiles similar to what percentile u got in the real exam? @Razza2000 So sorry for all these questions I’ll shut up now hahah
I'm sorry but it is just so fully beyond me how it is even humanely possible to do well in the Quantitative reasoning section of the UCAT. I am bewildered at those who can read, comprehend, calculate and answer a question in as little as 30 SECONDS!!!
Anyway, that wasn't the point of this post, I do have an actual question about quantitative reasoning. I just did a test and I can't understand why I got this question wrong:
"In a population, 8% can taste
neither PTC nor sodium benzoate,
74% can taste PTC and 60% can
taste sodium benzoate. What
percentage can taste exactly one
of these two chemicals?"
My answer (which mind you required MORE than just 30 seconds to even understand the question) was 42% but the answer is 50%! like how??!!
The solution says to do this calculation required: 74 x + 60 x + 8 + x
= 100, x = 42, 32 + 1
their solution clearly states that x=42 but I have no idea what that (32+1) part is for, like hello UCAT mind being a little more clearer with your solutions?!! DAMN! is it 50% or 42% can someone please help me understand why I am wrong and why the solution says (x=42, 32 + 1) ???

Thank you so much!
and also, would really appreciate it if anyone can tell me how they are coping with the QR section, is it just me or does anyone else hate this section. I'm starting to think it's just me and everyone else doing this test is just somehow super fast mathematicians.
Original post by renaee37
I'm sorry but it is just so fully beyond me how it is even humanely possible to do well in the Quantitative reasoning section of the UCAT. I am bewildered at those who can read, comprehend, calculate and answer a question in as little as 30 SECONDS!!!
Anyway, that wasn't the point of this post, I do have an actual question about quantitative reasoning. I just did a test and I can't understand why I got this question wrong:
of these two chemicals?"
My answer (which mind you required MORE than just 30 seconds to even understand the question) was 42% but the answer is 50%! like how??!!
= 100, x = 42, 32 + 1
their solution clearly states that x=42 but I have no idea what that (32+1) part is for, like hello UCAT mind being a little more clearer with your solutions?!! DAMN! is it 50% or 42% can someone please help me understand why I am wrong and why the solution says (x=42, 32 + 1) ???

Thank you so much!
and also, would really appreciate it if anyone can tell me how they are coping with the QR section, is it just me or does anyone else hate this section. I'm starting to think it's just me and everyone else doing this test is just somehow super fast mathematicians.

They missed out part of the answer! It's meant to say X = 42, 32+18=50
X is 42 yes, but x signifies the intersection (eg: people who can taste BOTH chemicals). The question is asking which percentage of people can taste only one of the chemicals, so you need to subtract 42 from 74 (to get 32), and also from 60 (to get 18), add them together and you get 50.

I did my UCAT last year and the best things for me were a) drawing diagrams, b) learning different common fractions in their decimal form (eg: 0.8=0.125), c) getting really good at estimating and d) knowing when to stop and move on. I always did it where if it got to the 30 second mark and I wasn't about to get the answer then I'd flag it, guess and move on - you can always go back to them but it's better to have a semi educated guess on some and definite on the rest than definite on some and not answer the rest :smile:
Original post by leelokpan
Where the percentiles similar to what percentile u got in the real exam? @Razza2000 So sorry for all these questions I’ll shut up now hahah

yeah, they were acc. but i don't know if that is the same for everyone.
Reply 1387
Is it worth attending a zoom UCAT course or is it better to just use medify?
Hi,
should i purchase the 2 month medify package or the 3 month one?
Original post by Dmm03
Is it worth attending a zoom UCAT course or is it better to just use medify?

I did a zoom course yesterday and would really really recommend it. It was very reasonably priced (I have a discount code if you want it just DM me) and super helpful as a starting point. I do also have medify because I think the more questions you have seen the better prepared you are.
end of august most probably
Guys pls reply, are you all using the scratchpad whilst practising for the ucat or mental/ pen/paper????
Reply 1392
Original post by Nealandmichael
Guys pls reply, are you all using the scratchpad whilst practising for the ucat or mental/ pen/paper????

well now that they've added the scratchpad to medify, i've been using the scratchpad
Original post by renaee37
of these two chemicals?"
= 100, x = 42, 32 + 1

Thank you so much!

Triaging was a game changer for me. Remember easy questions in QR are in the majority and have the same value as the difficult ones.
Whenever you see something that might be quite complicated in QR, flag and move on. There are tons of easier questions waiting to be completed!
Hey guys, I imagine you have already discussed this but; I really want to have a rant regarding the new scratch pad bs. the exam is already a time pressured nightmare and they want to make it worse?
For example: I imagine you have seen the decision making questions like this one:

Spoiler

The best way to approach this question is to build a table and work out who bought what. EXCEPT its an online scratch pad so that is impossible. Not to mention questions where a ven diagram is needed to be drawn. I'm pretty pissed at the moment ngl.

Is there anything we could do to try and prevent this change? I have heard rumours they tried to do this to the GAMSAT but gave up because of backclash - anyone know about this???
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1395
for VR, how are we supposed to know whether something needs to be inferred from the passage or if it would be an assumption? idk if that makes sense so here's an example:

the passage said "many cancers can be prevented by not drinking too much alcohol and eating plenty of fruits and vegetables" then the question was "having a healthy lifestyle can prevent many cancers. true/false/can't tell"

the correct answer was true but i put can't tell because it doesn't directly say anything about having a healthy lifestyle. i know that eating fruits and vegetables is an obvious example of a healthy lifestyle but i thought that we should not use our own outside knowledge? bc no where in the passage did it say that eating fruits and vegetables is part of a healthy lifestyle.. if it's as obvious as this example, would we be expected to just infer it ?
(edited 3 years ago)
i just started the QR section today (terrible at maths btw) and just started crying lmao in front of my dad im embarrased aha
i get the questions right mostly but i spend so long its draining. ive been practicing on medify for an hour and have only gone through 7 stems. help :frown:
Original post by User2127891510
i just started the QR section today (terrible at maths btw) and just started crying lmao in front of my dad im embarrased aha
i get the questions right mostly but i spend so long its draining. ive been practicing on medify for an hour and have only gone through 7 stems. help :frown:

was in your situation two weeks ago. keep practising and you *will* get better. I'm at the stage where I can do timed practise and get a decent percent correct - whereas previously I would spend 10 minutes on a stem and struggle to get the correct answer.

https://www.maths4everyone.com/resources/gcse-questions-by-topic.html

The above is a good website to practise common maths topics that come up regularly (percentage change, ratios, etc).
Ffs just getting worse and worse at abstract reasoning can’t stop crying and having a breakdown feel so low about myself
Reply 1399
Original post by User2127891510

ugh same for me, QR is my weakest section and i spend SO long on each question :frown: i low key try to avoid doing QR questions bc i feel stupid when i get most of them wrong but i know that i'm gonna have to practice loads in order to get better ~_~

Latest

Trending

Trending