The Student Room Group

How hard is music production?

Hey guys. I don’t really have any experience besides some guitar lessons a few years ago which I found difficult because my fingers just wouldn’t do what they’re supposed to for some odd reason
However I really wanna get into music and specifically music production so I can play indie /edm music

I’m good at writing lyrics however I have no clue how to produce. Do you have any ideas?
What software or program do I need? How can I learn it? How easy is it to learn? Does it take months? How long before I’m able to make a decent song?
Any tips how to find it easier? I thought of doing remixes of songs as it might help or should I go straight into producing my own songs?
What kit do I need?
Also, is a career in music production worth it financially?

Sorry for the many questions and thank you
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I think you need to be careful of the terminology, because if you talk about getting into 'music production' it is very different to producing your own songs!

A record producer or music producer oversees and manages the sound recording and production of a band or performer's music, which may range from recording one song to recording a lengthy concept album. A producer has many, varying roles during the recording process. They may gather musical ideas for the project, collaborate with the artists to select cover tunes or original songs by the artist/group, work with artists and help them to improve their songs, lyrics or arrangements.
Reply 2
I wouldn’t mind writing music for a band or artist. I am good in writing lyrics so I believe I can easily do it and would be happy too.
What I meant when saying music production was that I’d like to learn how to also make the melody and composition of a song instead of just the lyrics - so far I can write the lyrics and I have the melody in my head so I want to learn how to produce and construct that melody down if that makes sense!
I was also referring to it in terms of doing this for myself- writing music and lyrics for myself, producing for myself. Technically I could be a one person band and produce my own music right.
But like I mentioned I wouldn’t mind producing for other artists
But I mainly want to learn and wanted advice on how to learn and where to start

And since you mentioned doing it for other artists or band, how hard would that be? In terms of how do I make a band trust me to be their producer? How do I collaborate with them? How do I put myself out there?

Thank you so much 😊
Reply 3
Well... it's competitive. We can all walk but not all can dance well.
Reply 4
Original post by Surnia
I think you need to be careful of the terminology, because if you talk about getting into 'music production' it is very different to producing your own songs!

A record producer or music producer oversees and manages the sound recording and production of a band or performer's music, which may range from recording one song to recording a lengthy concept album. A producer has many, varying roles during the recording process. They may gather musical ideas for the project, collaborate with the artists to select cover tunes or original songs by the artist/group, work with artists and help them to improve their songs, lyrics or arrangements.

I’ve read the definitions again and I guess maybe I mean music composer?

Composer is about writing vocal melodies and lyrics and then producers are in charge of how the composition sounds. So I guess it’s a bit of both?
Reply 5
Original post by linctavia
I’ve read the definitions again and I guess maybe I mean music composer?

Composer is about writing vocal melodies and lyrics and then producers are in charge of how the composition sounds. So I guess it’s a bit of both?

Being a music producer (working with bands) you'd need a higher qualification in a subject such as music production or music technology, and get work experience or an internship to build up on the practical side.

You want to produce your own music, if you write it you are a composer. People do this self-taught, but there are probably online tutorials for this. Or have you looked to see if there are any local short courses you could do at a college or community centre? Are there any music groups in the area you could contact to see if there is anyone who could advise you?

Don't run before you can walk, though. If you want to play music, on what instrument and do you need lessons? Do you need to learn music notation to write down original melodies, particularly if you ultimately want to have other people play them? Start with those before thinking about editing and software.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest