The Student Room Group

How many BTEC’s do I have to take?

I want to only do one BTEC which is music production. It says it’s a foundation diploma which is worth 1.5 A Levels. Will I just be able to do this or do I have to pick another subject. If so how many more BTECs do I have to pick?
Original post by Luke_asher_3000
I want to only do one BTEC which is music production. It says it’s a foundation diploma which is worth 1.5 A Levels. Will I just be able to do this or do I have to pick another subject. If so how many more BTECs do I have to pick?

This is a question for your school or college, as they may an internal policy which says you must do the equivalent of 3 A levels.

Do you know what you want to do after the BTEC(s)? University? Music school? Apprenticeship? Do you know what qualifications those need, in terms of entry requirements?

If not, then check and let that be your guide. (For university, they'll expect the equivalent of 3 A levels.)

A lot of colleges register you for the FD in Year 1 and you then go onto the Ext Dip in Year 2. As @DataVenia has said, check with the college and see if that is how they are delivering it.
@bamtutor make a good point. It may be that you're actually enrolled in the BTEC Extended Diploma (worth 3 A levels), but that they're teaching it such that you gain the Foundation Diploma (worth 1.5 A levels) after one year, and gain the full Extended Diploma after two. If that's the case, than this one BTEC will be all you'd need to do.
Original post by DataVenia

This is a question for your school or college, as they may an internal policy which says you must do the equivalent of 3 A levels.

Do you know what you want to do after the BTEC(s)? University? Music school? Apprenticeship? Do you know what qualifications those need, in terms of entry requirements?

If not, then check and let that be your guide. (For university, they'll expect the equivalent of 3 A levels.)

After college I want to go and work to save money. I don’t plan on going to university or any music schools. For work I just want a simple job and do that for about 2-3 years while producing on the side. After that hopefully get signed to a label in America
After college I want to go and work to save money. I don’t plan on going to university or any music schools. For work I just want a simple job and do that for about 2-3 years while producing on the side. After that hopefully get signed to a label in America

OK. So look one step ahead - i.e. beyond your BTEC. Look at some ads for jobs you might like to do. Do they accept a BTEC in Music Production? If so, would they be happy with the Foundation Diploma or are they looking for people with an Extended Diploma?

It would a real shame to finish you studies, enter the world of work, and only then find out that your qualifications are not suitable.

(I should point out that I know absolutely nothing about music or music production, so I've no idea what sort of qualifications they'd look for, if any. Nor do I know whether that's the sort of job you'd be looking for anyway when you "go and work to save money".)
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending