The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford MSc Clinical and Therapeutic Neuroscience Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by decapisland
Agreed... I wouldn't be surprised if I just didn't make the cut and they haven't sent rejection letters yet. I'm sure at least some others in this thread would be successful though!

Fingers crossed that it's number 2 we're at right now! :P

It is a bit of a frustrating situation seeing as our odds would have been completely different if Covid didn't happen but I feel that we have a large competition base this year (especially if Msc Neuro was with 2.5x more application). Maybe we are competing with last years applicants this years as well? Even if we didn't get in, we shouldn't feel bad or give up on what we want to do. There are a lot more universities and courses available.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Also, I think we are just putting more stress on ourselves because of what we thing the deadline is (they specifically say its not guaranteed, last years applicants even got their replies late). Maybe we should just relax and wait it out

Oh God this is so frustrating. I don't know what to think lol.
Original post by Neeraj99
It is a bit of a frustrating situation seeing as our odds would have been completely different if Covid didn't happen but I feel that we have a large competition base this year (especially if Msc Neuro was with 2.5x more application). Maybe we are competing with last years applicants this years as well? Even if we didn't get in, we shouldn't feel bad or give up on what we want to do. There are a lot more universities and courses available.

Very true! Was frustrating for us to finish uni and stuff with COVID too... But oh well, nothing can be done about it. :s-smilie: I keep trying to remind myself that there are others with way bigger problems! Lol
Hmm, we should at this point take turns emailing the office (just not too many times each... we don't want them to think we are desperate lol).
There is 6 of us replying on this thread = 6/12 emails :smile:.

You know what the worst damn thing is. Every time I get an email now my heart races. Never thought I'd spend so much time on my email app... ahaaha
(edited 3 years ago)
Do you guys think the number of offers will increase this year due to Covid and Brexit? I know last year they gave out around 34 offers, from which 20 accepted (the number they want).
Original post by Hermes999
Do you guys think the number of offers will increase this year due to Covid and Brexit? I know last year they gave out around 34 offers, from which 20 accepted (the number they want).

I've got no idea tbh, I feel like it could go either way! I do suspect a lot of unis are expecting people to defer/decline though of course that's dependent on the state of the UK during COVID closer to the start of the course along with a hundred other factors.

I didn't know they gave out so many more offers than places... what happens if like 30 people accept the offer? (I know it's unlikely but just curious) Do they then just have 30 people on the course?
(edited 3 years ago)
Anybody brave enough to email in and ask if the shortlist invites have been sent out yet?

Am personally expecting a rejection any-ways, but having some confirmation/closure would be nice! :biggrin: Would definitely help in allowing me to focus better on my other applications lol
(edited 3 years ago)
Guys let’s all take a day in next week and start emailing. I’ll try and email on Monday evening. So a reply by TUESDAY. Anyone any other day?
I'm down to send an email, could someone drop the email address here for the department we would need to email
Hey guys, alumnus here. Although I was part of the 2019-2020 cohort, just to give you context, I got my offer email on February 6 2019 - almost one month after the submission deadline. (No one was interviewed during my year, but I don't know whether that changed for the following cohort.) So perhaps you could wait one more week before emailing again? I know the wait, plus all this uncertainty, can feel painful though, hang in there!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by nickyr212
Hey guys, alumnus here. Although I was part of the 2019-2020 cohort, just to give you context, I got my offer email on February 6 2019 - almost one month after the submission deadline. (No one was interviewed during my year, but I don't know whether that changed for the following cohort.) So perhaps you could wait one more week before emailing again? I know the wait, plus all this uncertainty, can feel painful though, hang in there!

Thankyou so much! I am sure we all really needed someone to pull us out of our own minds.

Thank you for telling us! I think we're just all on edge as the straight Neuro people had a ridiculous level of competition this year, and were told that if they didn't get shortlisted for an interview means they were unsuccessful.

I know CT neuro and straight Neuro aren't managed by the same people but it's hard not to compare the two :P
Original post by decapisland
Thank you for telling us! I think we're just all on edge as the straight Neuro people had a ridiculous level of competition this year, and were told that if they didn't get shortlisted for an interview means they were unsuccessful.

I know CT neuro and straight Neuro aren't managed by the same people but it's hard not to compare the two :P

I totally get it! I also applied to the MSc Neuroscience course that year and I didn't make it to interview. In fact, I got that rejection email two days before my offer email, so I was (almost) convinced that I didn't make it into C&T Neuro either :tongue: Back then, there were approx 410 applications, so not surprised to see a further increase!
(edited 3 years ago)
I totally get it! I also applied to the MSc Neuroscience course that year and I didn't make it to interview. In fact, I got that rejection email two days before my offer email, so I was (almost) convinced that I didn't make it into C&T Neuro either :tongue: Back then, there were approx 410 applications, so not surprised to see a further increase!

Hello (if anyone got answers to my questions about the C&T Neuro msc course, please reach out)

I am a prospective medical student and I just had an enquiry about the clinical and therapeutic neuroscience (Msc) course application process;
- Do you accept external medical students (who have not yet graduated) to apply to the course and if so what year should the medical students be in to apply? E.g. Can medical students apply in their 3rd year of medical school to do the msc course for the upcoming year and return to medical school to complete their 4th year after finishing the msc course?
- What are the core modules (taught elements) in the clinical and therapeutic neuroscience course + What are the research projects available for this course if one is successful onto the course? (Is a pdf document about this available?)
- Does the college I have chosen to do this course have any bearing/ weighting on whether I get accepted onto the course or is it entirely up to the department; If the department accepts my application but my preferred chosen college does not, will I be rejected or placed in another college? + Why would someone not get their preferred college when applying for this course?
- Are you thinking about adding or removing any colleges for this course in the upcoming 1-2 years, if so what colleges are they?
- On the website under entry requirements, it is stated that interview is not mandatory; in what circumstances are interviews not mandatory? + Can you get an offer without doing an interview?
- What are the admission statistics (applications, offers, places) for this msc course since the year this course was introduced?

Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions,
Original post by wyann LT
Hello (if anyone got answers to my questions about the C&T Neuro msc course, please reach out)

I am a prospective medical student and I just had an enquiry about the clinical and therapeutic neuroscience (Msc) course application process;
- Do you accept external medical students (who have not yet graduated) to apply to the course and if so what year should the medical students be in to apply? E.g. Can medical students apply in their 3rd year of medical school to do the msc course for the upcoming year and return to medical school to complete their 4th year after finishing the msc course?
- What are the core modules (taught elements) in the clinical and therapeutic neuroscience course + What are the research projects available for this course if one is successful onto the course? (Is a pdf document about this available?)
- Does the college I have chosen to do this course have any bearing/ weighting on whether I get accepted onto the course or is it entirely up to the department; If the department accepts my application but my preferred chosen college does not, will I be rejected or placed in another college? + Why would someone not get their preferred college when applying for this course?
- Are you thinking about adding or removing any colleges for this course in the upcoming 1-2 years, if so what colleges are they?
- On the website under entry requirements, it is stated that interview is not mandatory; in what circumstances are interviews not mandatory? + Can you get an offer without doing an interview?
- What are the admission statistics (applications, offers, places) for this msc course since the year this course was introduced?

https://www.psych.ox.ac.uk/files/study/msc-clinical-and-therapeutic-neuroscience-handbook-20-21/@@download

Hi!

Yes, it’s possible for 3rd year medical students to do this course and return to complete their studies afterwards - we had one medic that did this!

You’ll find the core modules (and more info) in the course handbook https://www.psych.ox.ac.uk/files/study/msc-clinical-and-therapeutic-neuroscience-handbook-20-21

The list of research projects will be made available if you make it into the course. From what I remember, there were about 50 projects with a wide range of topics and skills you can learn and research.

Whether you are accepted or not is entirely up to the department, so the college you choose will not affect your chances.

Yes, it’s possible that a college may not have enough space and may prioritise undergraduates, so you may be placed in another college - but you will definitely be a member of a college!

I’m not a staff member, so I have no idea when new colleges will be added!

Haha, well, about interviews… information has been so vague! I’ve mentioned this before, but no one in my year was interviewed - applicants were either given a direct offer or rejected. But I have no idea whether last year’s cohort was interviewed, and I have no idea whether you guys will! You’ll just have to wait and see.

It says on the course page that there was an average of 82 applications over the two years that this course has existed, and there are around 20 places. In the first year that the course was introduced (aka. my year), I think there were only 54 applications, and 23 of us got offers. So according to my calculations, there must have been 110 applications last year. There may be more this year!
(edited 3 years ago)
Has anyone here received an interview bc on the website its states 'Applicants selected for interview will be notified within 3 weeks of the deadline for applications, usually by the end of January'; if not does this mean they are not doing interviews and the decision would be either offer or rejection. Or is there a delay in decisions due to to COVID
Reply 177
Has anyone here received an interview bc on the website its states 'Applicants selected for interview will be notified within 3 weeks of the deadline for applications, usually by the end of January'; if not does this mean they are not doing interviews and the decision would be either offer or rejection. Or is there a delay in decisions due to to COVID

Still waiting :frown: Hopefully it's just a delay due to Covid but the wait is agonising!
Got this in the mail today.

Applicants for the MSc Clinical and Therapeutic Neuroscience will be notified tomorrow of the outcome of their application and whether they have been selected for interview.

With kind regards,

Tracy

Hope it helps
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Saptarshi56
Got this in the mail today.

Applicants for the MSc Clinical and Therapeutic Neuroscience will be notified tomorrow of the outcome of their application and whether they have been selected for interview.

With kind regards,

Tracy

Hope it helps

Wow thank you so much for letting us know!!
It's so much easier now having an actual day to dread/look forward to :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending