The Student Room Group

Do UCAS points really reflect the difference between AH and A-Level?

So according to the UCAS points calculator, an A* at A-Level is worth the same points as an A at Advanced Higher, and an A at A-Level is equivelant to a B in AH.

I have AAB at Advanced Higher, is that really as good as A*A*A at A-Level? According to UCAS, they are the same points but it looks a lot worse on paper.

Am I overthinking it or is this a case where UCAS points don't actually reflect the reality of how grades are viewed by English universities?
If you are given a conditional offer, waiting on AH results then they will accommodate it in comparison to A Level. English universities know that AH's are higher in points so they tend to give lower grades out for them if you are a Scottish applicant, applying with only highers i.e. my friend applied for an english university and was given a conditional offer for a D at AH when they were looking for a C at A Level as she applied with only highers. Don't worry too much about it as you are correct. AAB at AH equals A*A*A at A Level. Based on your excellent grades, they will take into account the point difference/difficulty (depending on the uni as Oxbridge are a bit awkward about it) and you would probably receive an unconditional if you have applied.
Reply 2
That's useful info, thanks for the reply.
Original post by corsica
So according to the UCAS points calculator, an A* at A-Level is worth the same points as an A at Advanced Higher, and an A at A-Level is equivelant to a B in AH.

I have AAB at Advanced Higher, is that really as good as A*A*A at A-Level? According to UCAS, they are the same points but it looks a lot worse on paper.

Am I overthinking it or is this a case where UCAS points don't actually reflect the reality of how grades are viewed by English universities?

Don't worry too much about the UCAS points- they're more a method of comparing qualifications...There's quite a lot of differences between the English & Scottish systems (e.g. you've got a set of Highers already too!), so don't worry that AAB at AH looks 'worse' because there's not an A* grade. They're all used to having Scottish applicants, so you'll be judged as to whether you meet their SQA entry requirements- don't panic! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending