Do UCAS points really reflect the difference between AH and A-Level? Watch

corsica
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So according to the UCAS points calculator, an A* at A-Level is worth the same points as an A at Advanced Higher, and an A at A-Level is equivelant to a B in AH.

I have AAB at Advanced Higher, is that really as good as A*A*A at A-Level? According to UCAS, they are the same points but it looks a lot worse on paper.

Am I overthinking it or is this a case where UCAS points don't actually reflect the reality of how grades are viewed by English universities?
rmason28
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you are given a conditional offer, waiting on AH results then they will accommodate it in comparison to A Level. English universities know that AH's are higher in points so they tend to give lower grades out for them if you are a Scottish applicant, applying with only highers i.e. my friend applied for an english university and was given a conditional offer for a D at AH when they were looking for a C at A Level as she applied with only highers. Don't worry too much about it as you are correct. AAB at AH equals A*A*A at A Level. Based on your excellent grades, they will take into account the point difference/difficulty (depending on the uni as Oxbridge are a bit awkward about it) and you would probably receive an unconditional if you have applied.
corsica
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
That's useful info, thanks for the reply.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by corsica)
So according to the UCAS points calculator, an A* at A-Level is worth the same points as an A at Advanced Higher, and an A at A-Level is equivelant to a B in AH.

I have AAB at Advanced Higher, is that really as good as A*A*A at A-Level? According to UCAS, they are the same points but it looks a lot worse on paper.

Am I overthinking it or is this a case where UCAS points don't actually reflect the reality of how grades are viewed by English universities?
Don't worry too much about the UCAS points- they're more a method of comparing qualifications...There's quite a lot of differences between the English & Scottish systems (e.g. you've got a set of Highers already too!), so don't worry that AAB at AH looks 'worse' because there's not an A* grade. They're all used to having Scottish applicants, so you'll be judged as to whether you meet their SQA entry requirements- don't panic!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (78)
14.03%
1 (72)
12.95%
2 (69)
12.41%
19.6%
21.94%
19.06%

Watched Threads