The Student Room Group

I really don't like my university, how do I transfer?

You’ve settled into your university, but things feel off. It’s not how you initially imagined it to be, and you want to transfer. The process of transferring is quite straightforward, however, it's not an easy option. There are many checks involved and there are no guarantees.

Faculty Guidance

Before deciding on transferring to a different university, it is imperative to exhaust all your options at where you are currently studying. I highly recommend speaking to your Faculty Advisor or Personal Tutor. They should always be your first point of contact for academic support and guidance. They will advise you on how to succeed in your course, or if you are adamant about transferring, they can inform you about the process of how to go about doing so.

Initial Steps

Before committing to withdrawing from your current university, you will need to make sure that your chosen university accepts transfers. You will need to contact the university's Admissions Office. I advise emailing them first and formatting your inquiry as followed:

Subject Title: [Course] Transfer for [Year] Intake
[1] Personal Statement
[2] Reasons for Transfer
[3] Academic History Degree Transcripts, Level 3 Qualifications (A-Levels, BTEC, etc.), GCSEs

The UCAS Application

After being formally accepted based on the information that you have provided, you will need to create and pay for a new UCAS application for the new academic cycle. The process is exactly the same as when you initially applied through UCAS, the only difference is selecting your year of entry (if applicable to you).

Student Finance

After completing your application and applying to UCAS, you will need to contact Student Finance England about the change of circumstances. It's important to note you may need to create a new application and send in your documents again. The SFE team will advise you accordingly. Another thing to consider is, if the transfer involves repeating or restarting an academic year, you will use up your "gift" year of funding.

These are the main things to consider when requesting a transfer. If you need more time, you can consider applying for a deferral to reflect and decide if you want to continue studying at university.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, do reach out and I will be more than happy to help. :u:
- Jesse

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending