The Student Room Group

English, History and Econ for A Level

I'm an aspiring law student and I'm wondering how stressful it would be to do English, History, Economics (and possibly politics as a 4th if I do that over an EPQ) as my A-Level options. Also, politics or econ if I have to choose between the 2?
Reply 1
Do economics over politics. Depending on what you do in history (probs in college prospectus/website), you will likely cover a LOT of politics. Also, in economics, you study political theory, e.g. probably the most obvious one, which is Marxism and also different political approaches. This is to a fairly basic level tbf but doing both of these subjects will probably scratch the politics itch and economics is just a much more versatile subject and gives you a bit of refreshing variety when revising.

On the stressfullness of taking them together I take both history and economics alongside Geography and would probably say that English lit is most likely to be your most stressful subject from what I've heard from friends who do it. I can't really say much for lang except I think history would probably be more stressful? I don't really think history is suicide-inducing stressful like its painted out to be as long as you consistently revise it as the content jump is BIG (like covering 1/2 the content in a GCSE course in 3 months big but you get used to it). Economics is the biggest jump if you have never done it before but don't let it deter you from picking it! It helps quite a lot for understanding societal context in other subjects!
Reply 2
It doesnt matter which A level subjects you do for Law - you just need high grades.
So, pick the subjects you will enjoy the most, and where you feel confident of A grades.

An EPQ will give you independent study skills, and an obvious topic to discuss in your UCAS Personal Statement - and it only takes a year. This is much better than trying to take a whole extra A level subject which you dont need - and all that extra work/stress could risk all your other grades.
Original post by antique-prescrip
I'm an aspiring law student and I'm wondering how stressful it would be to do English, History, Economics (and possibly politics as a 4th if I do that over an EPQ) as my A-Level options. Also, politics or econ if I have to choose between the 2?

Hi @antique-prescrip

Fortunately, a law degree rarely requires certain A Levels (to do law at ULaw you just need ABB in any subject). Also, there is never really a requirement to have 4 A levels. Sometimes having 4 A levels can get you a reduced offer in the sense that you may not need to score as highly in your A levels but that is because you are doing an entire 4th subject so doesn't really aid in reducing workload as the lower requirement will be as hard to get as the higher requirement with just 3 A levels. If you want to show an alternative skill then an EPQ may be a better shout than a 4th A level. By doing the independent research and extended piece of writing you show a skill and ability which isn't commonly reflected in A levels. Furthermore, you can tailor your topic to law and show a real independent interest in the field which will help in your PS to show dedication to law as a subject. At the end of the day, I would choose the 3 that you think you will enjoy the most as this will give you the best chance of securing top grades that reflect your best ability.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest