The Student Room Group

(Birmingham) Civil Engineering but D in both maths and physics

(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by destrome1100
I've been wondering if universities in Birmingham will generally accept someone who wants to apply for Civil Engineering with a grade D in both A level Maths and A level Physics. I do have a grade A in a language based A level giving me 96 UCAS points but I feel like my grades are still too low considering most unis require minimum C and above. I have seen that BCU requires 88 ucas points for a civil engineering with a foundation year and I'm not too sure what the requirements are for the Aston Uni foundation year so maybe that is an option aswell. Am I more likely to be accept into foundation year?

Hi @destrome1100

Firstly, well done on getting those grades. They are extremely difficult A Levels so to get those many UCAS points is very good.

A Foundation Year (FY) is not all that bad. Sometimes people would rather do a FY to help them get familiar with the course, especially if it is something very different from what they have previously studied. Having that knowledge from a FY can really put you ahead of your peers when you join the degree course as a first-year.

Based on your UCAS points it looks like you would be accepted onto a FY. Possibly even a degree. Sometimes applicants apply during the clearing cycle, when a lot of courses lower their entry requirements. Yes, it is quite stressful to apply through clearing but if you’re determined to get onto the degree without a FY this could be an option for you.

But don’t be discouraged. I work on the clearing hotlines and I have put people with the same UCAS points as you on many different degree courses. Of course, a degree in engineering might be a bit more difficult to get onto, but that doesn’t mean you can’t do it, with or without a FY don’t give up!

Hope this helps:smile:

Anastasia
BCU Student Rep
Original post by destrome1100
I've been wondering if universities in Birmingham will generally accept someone who wants to apply for Civil Engineering with a grade D in both A level Maths and A level Physics. I do have a grade A in a language based A level giving me 96 UCAS points but I feel like my grades are still too low considering most unis require minimum C and above. I have seen that BCU requires 88 ucas points for a civil engineering with a foundation year and I'm not too sure what the requirements are for the Aston Uni foundation year so maybe that is an option aswell. Am I more likely to be accept into foundation year?

I can’t comment on if you would get accepted.

But you should be aware a degree in engineering will involve using complex data and analytical methods as a part of almost every task.

You will need to be competent in areas such calculus, linear algebra & at university will start to push your mathematical toolkit beyond A-levels.

Doing an engineering will inevitably be a challenge for people who are not strong at mathematics. And id spend time reflecting on your desires to do complex mathematical problems on a daily basis for several years (and potentially beyond).

Quick Reply

Latest