The Student Room Group

Buying my mum an early christmas present

I have been thinking of getting my parents a freeview box for christmas however with the christmas TV starting earlier I am thinking of giving it them as soon as I buy it. What do you think? I have another contract next week so I am feeling seriously rich at the moment so I can afford to splash out £40 on one of these.

Is it wrong to give a christmas present in November? Last year I gave them my old HIFI amplifer (they still cost £170 inthe shops now) I gave them that in early December.
Reply 1
Get them the present now. Tell them it's their christmas present. Then when christmas comes around, if you still have money get them another present since they won't be expecting it.
Reply 2
Yeah give it to them - as long as you don't expect to be watching any telly over Christmas! (They'll guilt you into it because you bought it for them of course :wink:). How would your sister feel about this - I think she might be a bit of a pain about it!
Reply 3
blissy
Yeah give it to them - as long as you don't expect to be watching any telly over Christmas! (They'll guilt you into it because you bought it for them of course :wink:). How would your sister feel about this - I think she might be a bit of a pain about it!

We have no less than four TVs in our house, it used to be five but one broke. I don't watch that much TV anyway but when I do its in my room, my mums likes that history channel which is why I am thinking of buying it. Plus analogue TV will be switched off within the next 6 years so its good future proofing.

My sister will hate it with a passion but all she has to do is stay in instead of going out every other night and then she could buy her own :smile: It is a good point though about my sister, if it means my sister will be hogging the TV downstairs watching her crappy music channals I doubt my parents will thank for me that.
ah bless....give it to them early that would be cool....and you can get them from bout £25 i think!!! thats the cheapest one ive seen
Reply 5
amazingtrade
We have no less than four TVs in our house, it used to be five but one broke. I don't watch that much TV anyway but when I do its in my room, my mums likes that history channel which is why I am thinking of buying it. Plus analogue TV will be switched off within the next 6 years so its good future proofing.

If you are getting them freeview I don't think you get all the channels - only a select few. You can't really get them a box and expect them to continue to pay the fee each month (if it's sky, not a freeview one-off payment thing, you want).
Reply 6
blissy
If you are getting them freeview I don't think you get all the channels - only a select few. You can't really get them a box and expect them to continue to pay the fee each month (if it's sky, not a freeview one-off payment thing, you want).

It is freeview, you don't get all the channels but my I let my mum borrow mine when I was in spain and she said she liked the history channel. I think she will find ITV2/BBC3 handy as well as they always repeat the soaps later on the day so it means she is not always glued down to the box at 7:30 for corrie.

The cheapest one I have seen is £40 at either Boots or Richer Sounds. I want one with the digital text thing and two scart leads so I can wire it up to the VCR.

Latest

Trending

Trending