The Student Room Group

Veteran newsreader Alastair Stewart loses job.

Not much being said about the 'errors of judgement', but apparently it's down to him quoting a Shakespeare passage to a black man that included the word "ape". This is despite the fact that he had previously directed the same tweet to a white person.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51300799
Original post by Occitanie
Not much being said about the 'errors of judgement', but apparently it's down to him quoting a Shakespeare passage to a black man that included the word "ape". This is despite the fact that he had previously directed the same tweet to a white person.

I genuinly wonder what the 'victim' thinks now? Does he actually think that what he has caused is justified by how offended/upset he was? Was he even upset or offended at all? Or was he happy after the tweet because he knew he could weaponise it to his advantage?

40 years' of service washed away because of that?? Jesus f*cking wept. Hope those offended people step on a lego the bullies :mad:
Original post by fallen_acorns
I genuinly wonder what the 'victim' thinks now? Does he actually think that what he has caused is justified by how offended/upset he was? Was he even upset or offended at all? Or was he happy after the tweet because he knew he could weaponise it to his advantage?

I don't actually know if this was the reason for him being fired tho
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
This would probably be one of those times where releasing the "victims" details wouldnt be a particularly bad move.
Reply 5
Original post by fallen_acorns

See, I don’t think it’s just one person. I believe it’s a rather large group who were offended. It’s possible it wasn’t even this one black person...

Stewart was clearly under a lot of pressure to step down.

Then again, based on Johnny Tightlips’ attachment, maybe it was just him...

There is obviously some context missing from the tweets, but it seems we’ve lost an experience newsreader.
(edited 4 years ago)
See, I don’t think it’s just one person. I believe it’s a rather large group who were offended. It’s possible it wasn’t even this one black person...

Stewart was clearly under a lot of pressure to step down.

from the remnants of the twitter clash it looks like (yet again) it was a vocal minority. The large majority of people were against it.
I do wonder if it's some editorial clause though, like presenters can't show bias outside of work etc. Idk
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Johnny Tightlips
from the remnants of the twitter clash it looks like (yet again) it was a vocal minority. The large majority of people were against it.
I do wonder if it's some editorial clause though, like presenters can't show bias outside of work etc. Idk

There’s a chance that is indeed the case, but I fail to see how Stewart is showing biased.

He just quoted a passage from Shakespeare, which happened to use the term ‘ape’ and then this guy who got offended picks it out, calls it racist (when it isn’t) and complains.

Does anyone really believe that Stewart is racist or that he intended to target the guy because of his race?? It’s absurd.

You know, amongst thousands, I called this sort of behaviour years and years ago. We’re all going to end up constantly walking on eggshells. Free speech is most definitely and undeniably under attack.

All one can hope is that some day these kind of people will take a long hard look at themselves and ask whether they’re the fascists.
(edited 4 years ago)
It sounds very suspicious that his career ended over a single tweet that didn't even get much publicity.

Speculation should not be taken as fact.
More women have come forward from 40 years ago accusing Stewart of racially abusing them.
Seems the reporting was not quite accurate, what a surprise.

https://twitter.com/MShapland/status/1222851578132148224
Reply 11
Original post by Nalk1573
More women have come forward from 40 years ago accusing Stewart of racially abusing them.

I’m just going to go ahead and assume this is in jest...
Pretty weird behaviour from Stewart there, guess he's just really devoted to the royal family. :dontknow:
People gain a certain delight from joining a mob and watching somebody destroyed in real time.
Check out Jon Ronson's Ted talk on the destruction of Justine Secco.

https://youtu.be/Y9G6L4ZNuWk
There’s a chance that is indeed the case, but I fail to see how Stewart is showing biased.

He just quoted a passage from Shakespeare, which happened to use the term ‘ape’ and then this guy who got offended picks it out, calls it racist (when it isn’t) and complains.

Does anyone really believe that Stewart is racist or that he intended to target the guy because of his race?? It’s absurd.

You know, amongst thousands, I called this sort of behaviour years and years ago. We’re all going to end up constantly walking on eggshells. Free speech is most definitely and undeniably under attack.

All one can hope is that some day these kind of people will take a long hard look at themselves and ask whether they’re the fascists.

But it's a small minority of people who feel this way, that's what I don't get. Why in the last 5+ years have they dominated public discourse? Why do companies/councils etc give in to their demands?
Imo it's a combination of social media allowing faux-outrage to be stoked, lazy journalists just wanting clickbait, and universities for having stupid professors. But that's just a guess, I really don't know
presumably if he had quoted Ms Angelou or Ms Duffy he would of been fine.
He was fired for being old and this was just the excuse they needed.

BBC have been getting rid of 'old' presenters for a while now, for example.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending