The Student Room Group

Choosing to Study/Change Career

I work full time, am ok with my job but wonder if I could do/be something more. I want to become a veterinary nurse, however I will need to take two A-Levels (passing AAA for each) and then hope to get into a Uni. I am 24 and live with my parents. Is it worth taking the risk and quitting my current job to study for these A-Levels?
I would look into this a bit more as I know a lot of Vet Nurses don't go the degree route and do an apprenticeship.
Reply 2
Ah ok thank you for your help! I'll definitely look into that
Original post by TastyFish
I work full time, am ok with my job but wonder if I could do/be something more. I want to become a veterinary nurse, however I will need to take two A-Levels (passing AAA for each) and then hope to get into a Uni. I am 24 and live with my parents. Is it worth taking the risk and quitting my current job to study for these A-Levels?

You know we’re always told to pursue our dreams amidst any obstacle.
If being a Veteran Nurse is your dream, then go with the flow. You are still young to restrict yourself from opportunities. Go for the required classes, get that grade and follow your dreams. Looking at it from the other side, nothing comes easy. You need to sacrifice to get what you want.
You don’t have to quit your job for the school. You should create a balance between work and school and use the opportunities you get effectively. You could speak with your boss for permission on certain days in order to attend classes and still read. Just create a working timetable for yourself and follow it.

Also, I think there are options other than passing through the university. You can acquire the skill through apprenticeship but I would advise you to go to a proper school for this to be more qualified and get the required training (theoretical/practical).

On the other hand, you should put into consideration the pay you will earn from the potential job(vet nurse) and that which you are already earning from your present job. Weigh the two and know if dropping this and going for the other will be worth it.

Chuks
University of Bradford Alumni Rep
Reply 4
Original post by TastyFish

Hi, I'm 35 and I've had a career for the last 14yrs and I'm starting my Vet Med degree in September. I wish I had done this 10yrs ago and part of the reason for doing it now is I don't want to look back in 10yrs and wish I had done. If I fail I fail but at least I'll know if it were possible. Judge not those that try and fail, only those that fail to try.

Basically, if it's what you want to do, the sooner the better, it'll be much harder with another 10yrs of your career under your belt. There are ways of doing A-levels part-time or via distance learning so you might not need to give up your job entirely.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending