The Student Room Group

How do you improve vocab?

Hi, any tips of how to speak better academically? I enjoy reading novels but maybe I should get more into newspapers and non fiction. I just want to go from simple words to using high vocab and being able to explain things better . Thank you. Dictionary doesn’t help because I’d use it in my work and not remember it. I want to use it naturally when speaking.
If you’re going to be using more complicated vocabulary when speaking, chances are people won’t understand what you’re saying, it’s best to keep it short and simple.

I guess you could practise writing reports to help improve your vocab 🤷*♀️
Reply 2
Reading and use of dictionaries/thesauri is really the only sure way.
Reply 3
Original post by gjd800
Reading and use of dictionaries/thesauri is really the only sure way.

Thanks
Imo read more, nothing wrong with novels, they're just not all written equal

2 fiction authors I read a lot were Terry Pratchett and Tom Clancy who mostly wrote fantasy and war/politics respectively, but Pratchett used to be a journalist and a press officer, and Clancy used to write for/with the US military publishers and the respective sophistry and descriptive language shines through in their work.

Good sci fi writers tend to have to describe their ideas in quite advanced language also, Ian M Banks, Alastair Reynolds etc. All just personal taste, but those 4 authors have had a huge impact on my vocabulary over the years.
Reply 5
Original post by StriderHort
Imo read more, nothing wrong with novels, they're just not all written equal

2 fiction authors I read a lot were Terry Pratchett and Tom Clancy who mostly wrote fantasy and war/politics respectively, but Pratchett used to be a journalist and a press officer, and Clancy used to write for/with the US military publishers and the respective sophistry and descriptive language shines through in their work.

Good sci fi writers tend to have to describe their ideas in quite advanced language also, Ian M Banks, Alastair Reynolds etc. All just personal taste, but those 4 authors have had a huge impact on my vocabulary over the years.

Thanks, very helpful, I’ll definitely check them out then
Read newspapers too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending