The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
To be fair, it is a reasonable argument in the context of New Testament Christianity, which only uses the NT. A bit like Quranist Muslims who do not accept the sunnah as a part of Islam. It is not for us to define their faith for them.

So, are they called New Testament Christians?
Original post by QE2
So you don't support gun control, because the means by which violent people enable their violence is irrelevant.
Or to coin a phrase "guns don't kill people, people kill people"

I support gun control. Guns are physical, religion is based on ideology.
Original post by QE2
But that can be a legitimate and recognised contributory factor. :confused:

That is fair.

Original post by QE2
Ha! I predicted this. lol

It is true though.

Original post by QE2
Ooh, I hope that was deliberate!

It was
Reply 183
Original post by Wired_1800
That is a fair point. I dont doubt the existence of some violent sections of theological texts. My point was that those people are just violent and are trying to justify their violence.

Or they are regular people whose natural adversity to violence is overcome by divine command? "Doing god's work" is a powerful motivator.
Also, when people do nice things and claim religion as a motivation, we don't hear people going "Nah, they are just nice people using religion as an excuse".

It is about belief

Exactly. And if a religious person believes they are doing gods work by following the contents of holy Scripture, who are we to say otherwise?
Original post by QE2
Or they are regular people whose natural adversity to violence is overcome by divine command? "Doing god's work" is a powerful motivator.
Also, when people do nice things and claim religion as a motivation, we don't hear people going "Nah, they are just nice people using religion as an excuse".

Exactly. And if a religious person believes they are doing gods work by following the contents of holy Scripture, who are we to say otherwise?

People can be sick though. They are not operating in a sane manner.

For example, I heard of a Christian US man that kept his daughter as prisoner in his basement and fathered some children with her. After many years, she fortunately escaped. The reaction was that he was sick.
Reply 185
People can be sick though. They are not operating in a sane manner.

For example, I heard of a Christian US man that kept his daughter as prisoner in his basement and fathered some children with her. After many years, she fortunately escaped. The reaction was that he was sick.

You are missing the central point here.
Where in the Bible does it tell fathers to imprison their daughters and have children by them? Exactly. It doesn't. His actions have nothing to do with Christianity. His religion is irrelevant.
However, if he had taken her to the town gates and stoned her for rebellion while quoting Deuteronomy, his religion would be relevant. Get it?
The concept of Christianity is difficult to understand. Then you have the hundreds or thousands of years of evolution to modern-day doctrine. You introduce the Christian denominations like Catholics, Protestants, Church of Latter Day Saints, Anglicans and so on, then you have a complicated set of parts that are different but whole at the same time.

It has a lot of confusion in it, like most religions. It was founded by a person of a different faith who never advocated anything remotely like 'Christianity' as it exists today.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It has a lot of confusion in it, like most religions. It was founded by a person of a different faith who never advocated anything remotely like 'Christianity' as it exists today.

Yes, it is interesting.
Original post by QE2
You are missing the central point here.
Where in the Bible does it tell fathers to imprison their daughters and have children by them? Exactly. It doesn't. His actions have nothing to do with Christianity. His religion is irrelevant.
However, if he had taken her to the town gates and stoned her for rebellion while quoting Deuteronomy, his religion would be relevant. Get it?

I am saying that sick people can use religion to justify their sick actions.
I am saying that sick people can use sick religion to justify their sick actions.

FIFY :h:
So sad, thinking of those injured and the families. Disgusting.
Original post by QE2
I won't swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen. What would you have done with me?

MP's, soldiers and naturalised citizens swear oaths of allegiance. What do you have against it?
Original post by Lyndsey.95
So sad, thinking of those injured and the families. Disgusting.

Relieved to see that they are all apparently recovering well.

We should also think about the emergency service workers and the incredibly brave and skilled police officers who dealt with this incident and who I would imagine have to live with the after effects for some time.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Relieved to see that they are all apparently recovering well.

We should also think about the emergency service workers and the incredibly brave and skilled police officers who dealt with this incident and who I would imagine have to live with the after effects for some time.

Absolutely horrific. I can't believe the terrorist was released from prison, they should have thrown away the key. You don't expect this to happen.
Original post by QE2
For once could we talk about religion without you telling us to stop?

Isn’t it getting a bit boring though? Endless arguments with no clear decisive winner?
Original post by QE2
Because of the subject of the thread, obvs.

It shouldn’t have to though, you can talk about the terrorist incident without delving into religion just fine.
Original post by QE2
For once could we talk about religion without you telling us to stop?

Can we talk about one ****ing thing without you being an atheist troll?
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
FIFY :h:

Islam is not a sick religion.
Original post by QE2
Because of the subject of the thread, obvs.

The subject of the thread does not include anything to do with religion, therefore we should be allowed to talk about it without you having to steer us into religion. The media does it just fine
Original post by Greywolftwo
The subject of the thread does not include anything to do with religion

:laugh:

Latest

Trending

Trending