The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Transferring away from Imperial College London

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience leaving Imperial College London?
I'm in my second term but since the start of the year my mental health has been declining non-stop. I've lost a lot of interest in my course as a result of it (I know I like my course but I don't even want to go to lectures or do work anymore). The thing keeping me here is the fact that I've worked so hard to get here and it seems like a waste by moving somewhere else, and also the job prospects that my degree from here can give me. Could anybody who has been through something similar give any advice on whether or not it was worth switching university? or did they wish they had stayed at the uni they were at?
Original post by Anonymous
I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience leaving Imperial College London?
I'm in my second term but since the start of the year my mental health has been declining non-stop. I've lost a lot of interest in my course as a result of it (I know I like my course but I don't even want to go to lectures or do work anymore). The thing keeping me here is the fact that I've worked so hard to get here and it seems like a waste by moving somewhere else, and also the job prospects that my degree from here can give me. Could anybody who has been through something similar give any advice on whether or not it was worth switching university? or did they wish they had stayed at the uni they were at?

One thing you should definitely do is talk to your personal tutor ASAP to let them know how you are feeling and discuss your options. That can include taking an interruption of studies (an IOS) and then re-starting your course after a break. If you need to do that, it's much better to do it in a "controlled way" rather than hitting a wall with your mental health and crashing out at exam time. College has a fair amount of MH support mechanisms available, but the key thing is that you _must_ ask for them, College wont impose them on you.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Wednesday
One thing you should definitely do is talk to your personal tutor ASAP to let them know how you are feeling and discuss your options. That can include taking an interruption of studies (an IOS) and then re-starting your course after a break. If you need to do that, it's much better to do it in a "controlled way" rather than hitting a wall with your mental health and crashing out at exam time. College has a fair amount of MH support mechanisms available, but the key thing is that you _must_ ask for them, College wont impose them on you.

Yeah i've just sent the head of the course an email about it. I would speak to my personal tutor but I had a brief exchange with him about my mental health but he didn't seem too engaged. I also found the counselling within the university some of the most unhelpful that i've ever received. The main thing I worry about an IOS is that upon returning to the course after a break, my mental health will again decline (as I think it's a problem with the life here).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending