The Student Room Group

Is it worth getting Facebook just for offer holder group chats?

So I was wondering whether anybody who has Facebook and is on some of the vet med offer holder chats could tell me whether I'm missing out on anything? Nobody I know in my year uses FB so I didn't think it would be a problem, but I've been worried that I might be missing some information that the uni's put out, or that offer holders will start getting to know each other and I'll turn up on the first day feeling a bit lost!

I don't like FB and would rather not get it, so I just want to see whether it's worth it. I've got offers for Notts and Surrey, and am waiting to hear post-interview from Edinburgh, so any info regarding these unis would be useful!
Reply 1
Original post by treetops12
So I was wondering whether anybody who has Facebook and is on some of the vet med offer holder chats could tell me whether I'm missing out on anything? Nobody I know in my year uses FB so I didn't think it would be a problem, but I've been worried that I might be missing some information that the uni's put out, or that offer holders will start getting to know each other and I'll turn up on the first day feeling a bit lost!

I don't like FB and would rather not get it, so I just want to see whether it's worth it. I've got offers for Notts and Surrey, and am waiting to hear post-interview from Edinburgh, so any info regarding these unis would be useful!

Hi, my daughter didn’t have Facebook before uni but ended up getting it when she started. It wasn’t so much to join in the offer holder chats, it was more that arrangements for freshers too place using Facebook. Now she is finding that all arrangements for societies etc take place using it so I think she is glad she has got it.
Reply 2
Original post by Mosaic4
Hi, my daughter didn’t have Facebook before uni but ended up getting it when she started. It wasn’t so much to join in the offer holder chats, it was more that arrangements for freshers too place using Facebook. Now she is finding that all arrangements for societies etc take place using it so I think she is glad she has got it.

Ah ok, I was speaking about this to a friend earlier and she also mentioned that some unis are organising things on FB (which is kinda annoying as I feel like the last few years of sixth formers don't use FB anymore!). Thank you! I feel that if that's the case I probably will get it, just for keeping up to date rather than using it regularly.
I would advise getting facebook for uni anyway - it is a great way to arrange to meet up with friends and get to know faces around your uni - also a lot of group projects are devised through group messages on facebook. Regarding offer holders chats I would only join a group chat once everyone confirms their uni in the lead up to freshers

Also your chats will inevitably have 'reps' selling freshers wristbands - DO NOT buy one they're a scam. They grant you entrance to places which are free or can be paid in anyway for less than the bands.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending