The Student Room Group

China... concerned about FOREIGN visitors and surging coronavirus cases......

If you mean "China" when you say "they", I think you are missing the point that it only takes 1 infected person to lead to an epidemic.

China has been amazing at containing the virus. Yes, the virus got out. But not many countries could put an entire city, or rather cities, into lockdown the way China has. They could have responded sooner and done several things better, but at least they did what they did in the end.

As the article says, there have been no new cases in China for over a week now. Why is that? Since late January and the whole month of February people have been doing exactly what the government told them. They have been staying indoors to stop the spread of the virus. It has worked.

If the whole world could do them same then it wouldn't take long to stop this virus.

I doubt the UK or many western countries will be able to stop the spread in the same way as China because people are less likely to follow isolation advice.

So yes, it IS sensible to quarantine people going to China. At a time like this it is unlikely to be tourists but rather Chinese nationals and foreign workers returning for work.
Original post by Rossagle
If you mean "China" when you say "they", I think you are missing the point that it only takes 1 infected person to lead to an epidemic.

China has been amazing at containing the virus. Yes, the virus got out. But not many countries could put an entire city, or rather cities, into lockdown the way China has. They could have responded sooner and done several things better, but at least they did what they did in the end.

As the article says, there have been no new cases in China for over a week now. Why is that? Since late January and the whole month of February people have been doing exactly what the government told them. They have been staying indoors to stop the spread of the virus. It has worked.

If the whole world could do them same then it wouldn't take long to stop this virus.

I doubt the UK or many western countries will be able to stop the spread in the same way as China because people are less likely to follow isolation advice.

So yes, it IS sensible to quarantine people going to China. At a time like this it is unlikely to be tourists but rather Chinese nationals and foreign workers returning for work.

Still extremely hypocritical since their crappy food standards Caused the entire malaise. Way to export a problem, give yourself a big pat on the back for solving it. And then get on your high horse about "infected areas".

It’s much easier to contain a virus and quarantine a city when you run an authoritarian regime.

That being said this move makes perfect sense.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Still extremely hypocritical since their crappy food standards Caused the entire malaise. Way to export a problem, give yourself a big pat on the back for solving it. And then get on your high horse about "infected areas".

It isn't hypocritical. It is sensible. And to my knowledge it isn't just people coming from "infected areas" but pretty much anywhere. I know this because I have been living in China for 1 and a half years.

The world, or rather, xenophobes such as yourself are hating on China due to your own narrow views on what it is actually like there, and you believe that somehow you are superior.

China is a developing country. Lots of countries in the world still have a long way to come in terms of food hygiene.

And, there have been illnesses that came out of other countries. Did people react to Mexico in 2009 with the swine flu outbreak the way they are to China now? NO!

It is your own hate towards China and the Chinese fuelling your opinion and it is damn right xenophobic.
It isn't hypocritical. It is sensible. And to my knowledge it isn't just people coming from "infected areas" but pretty much anywhere. I know this because I have been living in China for 1 and a half years.

The world, or rather, xenophobes such as yourself are hating on China due to your own narrow views on what it is actually like there, and you believe that somehow you are superior.

China is a developing country. Lots of countries in the world still have a long way to come in terms of food hygiene.

And, there have been illnesses that came out of other countries. Did people react to Mexico in 2009 with the swine flu outbreak the way they are to China now? NO!

It is your own hate towards China and the Chinese fuelling your opinion and it is damn right xenophobic.

I lived in Malaysia on my year abroad, it's a developing nation also. They eat normal food lol. You can.... Can that BS.

The Chinese government forces it's citizens to do anything for economic gain... Forces subgroups into re education camps... But can't maintain food standards.

I don't hate the Chinese people, i strongly dislike the Chinese government and I'm sick (literally now probably shortly) of them getting a pass in world history.

Regime Change!!!!!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6

Why tf should the rest of the world suffer from China's stupid mistakes? This virus was detected months ago from the initial outbreak, many doctors and journalists tried to report it but the CCP like the good censorship ***** they are known for forced them into silence and did not do anything until it was too late. They had to take drastic measures such as huge lock-downs to make it look like they were good all along, honestly China should never be trusted with their statements, the problem back in China is much worse than what they are reporting believe me, many people are still catching the virus and more dying and possible China is cremating bodies en masse but of course they wouldn't say anything like that.
Many Chinese journalists lately have been going missing trying to report on the situation back in China, this should not come as surprise to anyone.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7

How was the users comment in any way, shape or form 'xenophobic'?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending