The Student Room Group

Should I declare my dyspraxia?

Recently I was diagnosed with dyspraxia through uni. While this is useful and a great relief to know, I'm not sure if I should declare it on job applications. I'm applying for some summer work including NCS at the moment. Really it would only be an issue if they want me to complete a written exam (as I'm supposed to have extra time), or if as part of the job leading a group of teenagers they expected me to lead a bike ride or something like that. I'm scared they'll think I'm using it as an excuse.
Any advice?
Original post by Espançais
Recently I was diagnosed with dyspraxia through uni. While this is useful and a great relief to know, I'm not sure if I should declare it on job applications. I'm applying for some summer work including NCS at the moment. Really it would only be an issue if they want me to complete a written exam (as I'm supposed to have extra time), or if as part of the job leading a group of teenagers they expected me to lead a bike ride or something like that. I'm scared they'll think I'm using it as an excuse.
Any advice?

Probably for NCS declare it, because there might be a number of things they have to make adjustments for. However, as an organisation they are probably fully engaged with these sort of issues/adjustments and it doesn't cloud their thinking.

In general for job applications, it depends when you think the employer needs to know. For most jobs they probably don't, at least through the application process.
Reply 2
Thanks a
Reply 3
Original post by Espançais
Any advice?

Hey 👋

Glad to hear you are wanting to work on programme this summer! 😃
We do suggest that you disclose this on your application, please don't feel like this puts you at a disadvantage to other candidates as we are an inclusive organisation, and welcome all kinds of people into our network.

If you have any questions at all please feel free to message us via our main thread.

Hope this helps,
Thanks

Sam 🦒

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending