The Student Room Group

Dyslexic struggling at university

I’m dyslexic and got dyspraxia and I’ve just finished my first year however, struggled mainly on 2 20 credit modules in economics. I was wondering before starting second year what’s the best way I should go about taking notes etc and revising? I realised I do find it better hand writing my notes but I’m not sure if it’s something I should continue or try find a method note taking on my laptop.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m dyslexic and got dyspraxia and I’ve just finished my first year however, struggled mainly on 2 20 credit modules in economics. I was wondering before starting second year what’s the best way I should go about taking notes etc and revising? I realised I do find it better hand writing my notes but I’m not sure if it’s something I should continue or try find a method note taking on my laptop.

Hi there

Sorry to hear you are struggling at University.

Hand writing your notes is a good option, most people find that they remember stuff better when written down.

On the other hand, typing your notes allows faster speed and it can be easier to organise (or add extra information to your notes later).

If it is possible, I would recommend looking at PowerPoint slides before lectures, so you have a brief idea and timeline on what the lecture will be about, and this then allows you to focus on areas that may be more difficult/ or where the PPT does not explain it clearly enough.

I personally hand wrote my notes for modules with exams, as I had to memorise them. For coursework/ open book assignments, I would use Word or Notion so I can just navigate through the document easily. You could always try typing up your notes for the first few week of second year. If you find that it works better for you then you can stick to it, if not you can always change back to hand writing your notes.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

Honestly do whats best for you.
Im dyslecic and write my notes, i print off the slides on the sunday for the next week, usually 6 slides per page) then i make notes relating to each slide so it looks a bit like a spider diagram on the page. I struggle writing on paper as i cant link the slude to my notes in my head. And i struggle reading from a laptop, i prefer it on paper.
But do you, dont try to copy other people if it doesnt work for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending