The Student Room Group

Graduated with a First - but poor GCSE's. Can I get into Oxbridge?

So I graduated with a First Class in Sociology (MSc) from Kingston University.

I want to continue studying Sociology at Masters level.

But my A levels were 4 C's and 6 C's at GCSE level.

However, in my last year at uni I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia and I think I have ADHD too. I'm getting a ADHD test soon and expect that I'll be prescribed Ritalin which will only help.

In my Dyspraxia assessment the woman said that I likely underachieved at GCSE's and A-levels by being placed on Foundation papers because of my undiagnosed dyspraxia and only doing exams.

Would I have any chance of getting into Cambridge or Oxford? It asks for a 2:1 and I have a First but I don't want to waste my time or anyone else's if they're just gonna toss out my application?
Original post by Craig_93

However, in my last year at uni I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia and I think I have ADHD too. I'm getting a ADHD test soon and expect that I'll be prescribed Ritalin which will only help.

In my Dyspraxia assessment the woman said that I likely underachieved at GCSE's and A-levels by being placed on Foundation papers because of my undiagnosed dyspraxia and only doing exams.

Would I have any chance of getting into Cambridge or Oxford? It asks for a 2:1 and I have a First but I don't want to waste my time or anyone else's if they're just gonna toss out my application?

I don't recall any Masters application process I have seen wanting to know about GCSEs, its all about what you did as an undergrad and what you achieved there. Note that there may however be a bit of a sliding scale for what a high ranked institution considers to be a good 2:1 / 1st depending on where it was awarded. For an MSc admissions team, not all degrees are considered equal, though that information is unikely to make it onto an official web site.
Reply 2

Out of all the Masters applications I have completed this year (UCL, KCL, LSE, Manchester and Bristol), not a single one asked for my GCSEs or A Level results. Now Oxbdrige may ask, I do not know because I haven't applied to either, but I doubt they will play a factor in the application process.
Reply 3

Congratulations on your First!
Yes, you could go to Oxford or Cambridge - though it is a bit of a lottery.
I honestly don't think they care about GCSEs because they are looking for a much higher level of thinking than those exams test for. Your First suggests that you may have what they want.
Put an application in, because success would be a massive boost for you, whereas not getting in won't cost you anything.
My daughter would not have got in with her A levels or GCSEs. But she got a First from another uni and applied "just for the hell of it" before going travelling in her gap year. She starts at Oxford in September.
Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending