The Student Room Group

revising for gcses and if it's too late

so im in year 11 and gonna do my igcses in may/june and im so worried because i don't really understand most of the specification for my chemistry because my teacher hasn't really been giving us work. everyone looks so chill for the finals and im worried because i revised the night before my year 11 mocks and managed to get 3A* and 6As. i dont know how to get in the mentality to study for the final igcses as its already March and i'm worried it's too late. any tips/suggestions? i really wanna do well but i don't feel motivated
Original post by _jjc190
so im in year 11 and gonna do my igcses in may/june and im so worried because i don't really understand most of the specification for my chemistry because my teacher hasn't really been giving us work. everyone looks so chill for the finals and im worried because i revised the night before my year 11 mocks and managed to get 3A* and 6As. i dont know how to get in the mentality to study for the final igcses as its already March and i'm worried it's too late. any tips/suggestions? i really wanna do well but i don't feel motivated

You could buy a cgp guide for chemistry and memorise it, learn the equations etc. You could join mygcsescience and just learn as much as you can, it has rave reviews.
Have you heard of the Forest app? It's really good to help productivity/motivation to revise.

Don't rely on your teachers for Chemistry. If they end up helping, that's great, but you need to assume that if they haven't helped yet, they still won't. Go through your textbook/revision guide and make notes of topics you don't understand. You can then (a) look for notes/explanations online on study websites or YouTube etc. (b) asl students here on TSR to explain it to you and help out with questions you find difficult or (c) take it to your teacher.

Once you have a basic understanding of all the topics, work through practise papers. You can do this with notes if you like but testing yourself first and then adding extra detail from textbooks in a different colour is more useful. Make sure you go through mark schemes and keep a list of things you commonly forget/do wrong.

For subjects such as English, I prepared quotes for each theme/setting/character/etc. and wrote my analysis for them, so in the exam I just had to write what I'd learnt and explain it more.

Quizlet can help a lot with revision, particularly for quotes/dates/key terms.
Original post by bfm.mcdermott
Have you heard of the Forest app? It's really good to help productivity/motivation to revise.

Don't rely on your teachers for Chemistry. If they end up helping, that's great, but you need to assume that if they haven't helped yet, they still won't. Go through your textbook/revision guide and make notes of topics you don't understand. You can then (a) look for notes/explanations online on study websites or YouTube etc. (b) asl students here on TSR to explain it to you and help out with questions you find difficult or (c) take it to your teacher.

Once you have a basic understanding of all the topics, work through practise papers. You can do this with notes if you like but testing yourself first and then adding extra detail from textbooks in a different colour is more useful. Make sure you go through mark schemes and keep a list of things you commonly forget/do wrong.

For subjects such as English, I prepared quotes for each theme/setting/character/etc. and wrote my analysis for them, so in the exam I just had to write what I'd learnt and explain it more.

Quizlet can help a lot with revision, particularly for quotes/dates/key terms.

For English how many quotes did you memorise? Also did you memorise the poetry?
it's not too late just get on with it.
Original post by lost.soul
For English how many quotes did you memorise? Also did you memorise the poetry?

Honestly I can't remember (I'm in Year 13 now)... I would guess ~6 quotes per theme/character/setting per book/play... more for some. I did try and overlap the quotes though so I could use the same quote for two themes and only memorise it once etc.
I started off by writing out a list of all the quotes I highlighted in my book and slowly narrowing it down to get better quality, sorting by themes etc. And then narrowing it down again based on which I could analyse better.

I didn't memorise the poems themselves. I wrote a full analysis for every poem including quotes, context, analysis, themes, etc. and memorised that.
Also, for my exam board, we would be told one of the poems and had to compare it to another of our choosing, so I paired all the poems together (sometimes in threes) and wrote analysis notes to compare them all, so that again in the exam I just had to write what I'd learnt.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by bfm.mcdermott
Honestly I can't remember (I'm in Year 13 now)... I would guess ~5 quotes per theme/character/setting per book/play... more for some. I did try and overlap the quotes though so I could use the same quote for two themes and only memorise it once etc.
I started off by writing out a list of all the quotes I highlighted in my book and slowly narrowing it down to get better quality, sorting by themes etc. And then narrowing it down again based on which I could analyse better.

I didn't memorise the poems themselves. I wrote a full analysis for every poem including quotes, context, analysis, themes, etc. and memorised that.
Also, for my exam board, we would be told one of the poems and had to compare it to another of our choosing, so I paired all the poems together (sometimes in threes) and wrote analysis notes to compare them all, so that again in the exam I just had to write what I'd learnt.

That’s a good idea thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending