The Student Room Group

Summer Internship {Undergraduate} First class or 2:1, does it matter?

Is it advantageous to get a first class in your first year of university or is in just a tick in the box if you're "on track for a 2:1 or above"
I'm hoping for a 2:1 but if someone got a First is it more advantageous in the application process?
Reply 1
Original post by jsb00
Is it advantageous to get a first class in your first year of university or is in just a tick in the box if you're "on track for a 2:1 or above"
I'm hoping for a 2:1 but if someone got a First is it more advantageous in the application process?

First year doesn’t count for anything, just a bench mark to get into the following year.

If you have applied for spring weeks and internships then they will look at your first year and a-level grades.

Relax in your first year. 2nd year and above is when the real hard work starts
Original post by jsb00

It's more of a filter thing, the higher the better obviously but a 2.1 is fine if you have a good CV. I had a 2.1 and did put 1st predicted, no-one ever gave a **** about my grades. Only HR does.
Reply 3
Original post by xtrembob
It's more of a filter thing, the higher the better obviously but a 2.1 is fine if you have a good CV. I had a 2.1 and did put 1st predicted, no-one ever gave a **** about my grades. Only HR does.

Were you applying for 2nd year summer internships?? I heard they ask for 1st year transcripts from your university or is this false?
Original post by jsb00
Were you applying for 2nd year summer internships?? I heard they ask for 1st year transcripts from your university or is this false?

Yes and never had to give a transcript for my bank, maybe HR called my uni but idk.
Reply 5
Just tick the 2:1 box its highly unlikely they will check, I got a 2:2 in first and second year and have a year long placement coming up at a respected IB
Reply 6
Original post by pusha a
Just tick the 2:1 box its highly unlikely they will check, I got a 2:2 in first and second year and have a year long placement coming up at a respected IB

Original post by xtrembob
Yes and never had to give a transcript for my bank, maybe HR called my uni but idk.

Thanks for the responses guys
Just nervous about getting a high 2:2 as my marks might be skewed because of the corona virus having an impact on the weightings of exams of I've already sat
Reply 7
Original post by jsb00
Thanks for the responses guys
Just nervous about getting a high 2:2 as my marks might be skewed because of the corona virus having an impact on the weightings of exams of I've already sat

If that happens then don’t worry, still apply to whatever you wanted to. All these companies need you to be ‘on track’ to achieve a 2:1 degree and if you’re on 59 in first year (which doesn’t count anyways) then that’s not an indication at all that you won’t end up with a 2:1. Just ace all the video interviews and tests and when you’re sat 1 on 1 with the interviewer they literally won’t care what you’re getting in uni. This was exactly the same position I was in this year and I got three assessment centres at top IBs (had to reject the 3rd cos I had secured a better offer)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending