The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Does first year of university grades matter at Cardiff University?

Have not been in education for a while and I’ve heard from quite a lot of people that the first year does not matter. Does this count for Cardiff University? I am planning on working very hard, of course, but I’m not sure how well I will adjust due to my long break from education. I am currently doing the exercises on Cardiff’s website for mature learners who have had a break from education to build their academic skills up.
Original post by Anonymous
Have not been in education for a while and I’ve heard from quite a lot of people that the first year does not matter. Does this count for Cardiff University? I am planning on working very hard, of course, but I’m not sure how well I will adjust due to my long break from education. I am currently doing the exercises on Cardiff’s website for mature learners who have had a break from education to build their academic skills up.

All years at university matter
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Year 1 (i.e. Level 4) does not count towards your final degree classification at Cardiff Uni.

Depending on the course, it's either 30:70 or 40:60 between Year 2 and Year 3.

See the "Classification of Undergraduate Awards" section of their Academic Regulations, here, for confirmation. (From paragraph 4.21 onward.)

Hi there

Final year Cardiff Uni student here!

All years matter in terms of building a foundation of knowledge and building a relationship with your peers and lectures as well as building academic skills. However, depending on your course, the first year may not be counted towards your final grade. You will have time to adjust but it's important to use this as an opportunity to improve as much as possible before your grades do contribute towards your final grades. In addition, you still need the pass the year to proceed.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Reply 4
Original post by BankaiGintoki
All years at university matter

I know this but I’m asking whether the first year Counts towards the final grade. I know the first year counts in regards to applying to internships
I know this but I’m asking whether the first year Counts towards the final grade. I know the first year counts in regards to applying to internships

First-year matters in terms of base knowledge and adjusting to the university system etc. It depends on your course as if it counts towards the final grade

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending