The Student Room Group

High 2.1 in second year in mechanical engineering...any chance for 1st overall?

Hi,

I received my 2nd year mechanical engineering results and i got 67%. I know why i got this result as i was constantly applying to placement year/internship opportunities and going to more than 20 interviews. Because of that, in my first semster, 2 of my module unit grades dropped to 48% and 55%.

I have already got an offer and firmed a placement year at a reputed energy company.

After placement year, do you guys think is there any chance of me getting a first class honours overall in undergraduate BEng Mechanical Engineering?

I got 70% in first year but i hope to get a first class overall by the end of my undergraduate mechanical engineering degree.

Do you guys think i can and what percentage do i need to get overall in final year of mechanical engineering studies?
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by sarah035678903
Do you guys think i can and what percentage do i need to get overall in final year of mechanical engineering studies?

We'd need to know the weighting of your second and third years to answer this.

But in most cases yes, it's mathematically possible to still get a first.
Yes, you probably can if you avoid any major drops like in those two modules.

As an engineer, I'm sure you can do the simple maths needed to calculate what percentage you need in your final year - noting also that this will be dependent on your individual institutions policies for grading and weighting of years of study etc so nobody could answer that except you at this point anyway.
The maths should be easy

But it depends -if you got mostly 68 then it may be harder to get 72 in final year modules.

But if you got sone firsts and sone poor then it’s more likely you can achieve it (assuming you know why poor marks in sone modules)
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
We'd need to know the weighting of your second and third years to answer this.

But in most cases yes, it's mathematically possible to still get a first.

its 33% for 2nd year and 67% in final year
Reply 5
Original post by Catherine1973
The maths should be easy

But it depends -if you got mostly 68 then it may be harder to get 72 in final year modules.

But if you got sone firsts and sone poor then it’s more likely you can achieve it (assuming you know why poor marks in sone modules)

I did 6 module units with each module credit as 20 credits.

In the whole year i scored:

1. Module 1-48%
2. Module 2-57.5%
3. Module 3-64%
4.Module 4-77.5%
5.Module 5-90%
6.Module 6-65%
Original post by sarah035678903
its 33% for 2nd year and 67% in final year

You can pop those weightings in here and play around with final year marks to see what difference it will make.

https://www.gradecalc.co.uk/uni/undergraduate-degree

NB. This won't take into account any policy your uni may have about rounding or excluding modules from the calculation.

Quick Reply

Latest