The Official St Andrews Applicants Thread 2021

Watch
Raja12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What course you are applying for: Financial Economics
GCSEs (or equivalent, eg. GPA or SATs): 777666655 (I know my GCSEs are poor haha)
A level / IB / Highers predicted or achieved: A-Level Biology (A) , A-Level Chemistry (A) , A-Level Geography (A*)
Extra curriculars relevant to your subject: reading financial related books, such as Freakonomics and Rich Dad Poor Dad. Also, taking part in A-Level insight days at investment banks. Take part in investment-related activities since young, and have talked about that in personal statement.
UK region or country you are from: London
Fee status (EU, rUK or Overseas): UK
University choices, in order of preference: Nottingham, St Andrews, Durham, Manchester and CASS business school
Why St Andrews?: like the peacefulness (think im the only person that does) and its a top rated university to enter investment banking
HarveyCB
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Course: Psychology
GCSE grades: 999999998A*A (plus an A in an FMSQ)
Alevels: Psychology, Maths and English Literature (predicted A* in all of em)
Relevant extra-curriculars: extra reading, won a psychology essay comp, 2 previous jobs looking after kids, psychology EPQ
Region: England
Uni choices (sort of in preference order): Oxford, York and St Andrews, then Bath and Warwick
Why st andrews: I like the kind of quiet vibes? But also the insane traditions, which sound really fun. Seems to be good for psychology, and the academic family system makes the whole uni experience sound way less intimidating!
Medi-cry
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oop, I found this really late smh

Course: Medicine!
GCSE grades: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* (and Distinction in Additional Maths)
A-levels: Chemistry, Biology, Maths, English Lit, Welsh Baccalaureate (predicted A*A*A*A*A*)
Relevant extra-curricular: extra reading, highly commended Cambridge essay competition, runner up, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh Essay competition, run schools med-society, tutor year 10-11, volunteer in a care home for ppl with dementia
Region: Wales
Uni choices (sort of in preference order): Cambridge, St Andrews, Imperial, Cardiff, Warwick
Why st andrews: I love the pre-clinical separate from clinical studies. And I love the place!
justjas33
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(i’ve commented on here like months ago but I’ve since changed my mind on what course I’m applying to so oof)

Course: Modern History (also considering Modern History and Middle Eastern Studies)
GCSE grades: 887755543
A-Levels: Law, History and English Literature (predicted AAA)
Relevant extra-curricular: a whole lotta reading, several summer schools such as UNIQ, podcasts, online lectures, MOOCs.
Region: England
Fee status: rUK
Uni choices (not in order of preference): Exeter, Edinburgh and Leeds... I’ve yet to decide on my last choice!
Why St Andrews?: it’s lowkey the perfect uni for me, by the sea, nice and peaceful...it seems like the perfect place to study and have fun you know? House parties and drinking with mates is far more up my street than nightclubs. Hence why for me it’s a bonus that it’s lacking in that department. It’s an amazing uni, esp for History, it would be a dream to get to experience their Middle Eastern Studies modules too!

Good luck everyone...when are you all thinking of sending off ur applications?
hneh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What course you are applying for: Classical Studies
GCSEs (or equivalent, eg. GPA or SATs): 9888777765
A level / IB / Highers predicted or achieved: History, Chemistry and Maths, hopefully predicted A*AA but we haven't been told our predicted grades yet
Extra curriculars relevant to your subject: Just a load of reading
UK region or country you are from: England
Fee status (EU, rUK or Overseas):rUK
University choices, in order of preference: Durham, St Andrews, Royal Holloway and another two that I haven't decided on yet
Why St Andrews?: Like the idea of going to a town rather than a city and the course seems great
Ciara0720
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi guys, I'm Ciara 🙂

What course you are applying for: MA English!
GCSEs (or equivalent, eg. GPA or SATs): 9999866644
A level / IB / Highers predicted or achieved: A*A*A*A (achieved)
Extra curriculars relevant to your subject: reading, lectures, tutoring, journalism, restoring antique books
Region or country you are from: West Midlands, England
Fee status (EU, rUK or Overseas): rUK
University choices, in order of preference: I really don't know, advice appreciated here! https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0#post91054900
Why St Andrews?: Beautiful, good reputation, flexible course
justjas33
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ciara0720)
Hi guys, I'm Ciara 🙂

What course you are applying for: MA English!
GCSEs (or equivalent, eg. GPA or SATs): 9999866644
A level / IB / Highers predicted or achieved: A*A*A*A (achieved)
Extra curriculars relevant to your subject: reading, lectures, tutoring, journalism, restoring antique books
Region or country you are from: West Midlands, England
University choices, in order of preference: I really don't know, advice appreciated here! https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0#post91054900
Why St Andrews?: Beautiful, good reputation, flexible course
Awh I’m from the West Mids too! From good ol Brum ✌🏾 good luck with ur application
Ciara0720
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by justjas33)
Awh I’m from the West Mids too! From good ol Brum ✌🏾 good luck with ur application
Hey! I live about 30 mins out from Brum haha
Thank you, you too 🙂 What are you applying for?
username4506446
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have a place for Economics and Management for 2021 as I've taken a leave of absence / deferred due to medical / covid reason after the first week. I can also apply to 5 other unis via UCAS which I'm going to do to keep my options open. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Achieved A Level grades:
A* - Product design
A - Economics
A - Maths
Last edited by username4506446; 4 weeks ago
justjas33
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ciara0720)
Hey! I live about 30 mins out from Brum haha
Thank you, you too 🙂 What are you applying for?
Ahaha cool! And thank you!
Modern History
comeasuare
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hello guys,
what course you are applying for: english
GCSEs (or equivalent, eg. GPA or SATs): 99998666443 fml
A level / IB / Highers predicted or achieved: achieved a*a*a* in english literature, history, english language
Extra curriculars relevant to your subject: creative writing, tutoring, reading lots of books lol, book reviews
Region or country you are from: north england
University choices, in order of preference: wish I could tell you lol but I think cambridge, st andrews, ?, ?, ? so far (feel free to recommend some lol)
Why St Andrews?: so so pretty, course looks really interesting, like the flexibility, good reputation
lunarzephyr
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi!

What course you are applying for: Biology
GCSE grades (or SAT/ACT score; GPA..): 999998877A*
A level / IB / Highers, AP predicted or achieved grades: Biology (A*), Psychology (A*), Chemistry (A), AS Geography (got an A)
Extra curriculars relevant to your subject: created and run research skills club, head of school's science society, volunteered at a charity shop for 3+ years, 2 extended research projects (not epq), 5 lab work experience placements (4 are week long in person (did them last year), 1 virtual), written for school science magazine, editor for school newspaper, harvard biochem mooc, neuroscience blog
Your fee status (Home/EU, rUK or Overseas): Home
Universities you are thinking of, in order of preference: UCL, St Andrews, Durham, Warwick, Bath
Why St Andrews?: I love that I can experience several different subjects at once, since my secondary school has a very limited choice of subjects, plus who doesnt want a beach at uni haha
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by lunarzephyr)
Hi!

What course you are applying for: Biology
GCSE grades (or SAT/ACT score; GPA..): 999998877A*
A level / IB / Highers, AP predicted or achieved grades: Biology (A*), Psychology (A*), Chemistry (A), AS Geography (got an A)
Extra curriculars relevant to your subject: created and run research skills club, head of school's science society, volunteered at a charity shop for 3+ years, 2 extended research projects (not epq), 5 lab work experience placements (4 are week long in person (did them last year), 1 virtual), written for school science magazine, editor for school newspaper, harvard biochem mooc, neuroscience blog
Your fee status (Home/EU, rUK or Overseas): Home
Universities you are thinking of, in order of preference: UCL, St Andrews, Durham, Warwick, Bath
Why St Andrews?: I love that I can experience several different subjects at once, since my secondary school has a very limited choice of subjects, plus who doesnt want a beach at uni haha
wow, i graduated with a Biology degree from St Andrews, i'm also from London (suburbs) and at the time i applied to St Andrews, Durham, Warwick, Bath... you sound like an amazing candidate for Cambridge tbh. lmk if you have any questions
lunarzephyr
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
wow, i graduated with a Biology degree from St Andrews, i'm also from London (suburbs) and at the time i applied to St Andrews, Durham, Warwick, Bath... you sound like an amazing candidate for Cambridge tbh. lmk if you have any questions
ahaha tysm, i was considering cambridge but decided against it as natsci isnt for me haha
Mina Abdulkerim
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Anybody submitted his/her ucas application 2021?
Medi-cry
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mina Abdulkerim)
Anybody submitted his/her ucas application 2021?
yup
Mina Abdulkerim
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Medi-cry)
yup
Great to hear that! could you tell me what courses you choose n university/college?

for instance I choose Biological science(human bioscience) at Oxford Brookes university.
Medi-cry
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mina Abdulkerim)
Great to hear that! could you tell me what courses you choose n university/college?

for instance I choose Biological science(human bioscience) at Oxford Brookes university.
I'm applying for medicine at cambridge, imperial, st andrews and Cardiff and then neuroscience at Warwick
Anonymous #6
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Medi-cry)
I'm applying for medicine at cambridge, imperial, st andrews and Cardiff and then neuroscience at Warwick
Is yours undergraduate application for U.K. or postgraduate?
Medi-cry
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Is yours undergraduate application for U.K. or postgraduate?
undergrad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (54)
15.61%
I'm not sure (8)
2.31%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (122)
35.26%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.73%
I'm not a current university student (156)
45.09%

Watched Threads