The Student Room Group
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

Anglia Ruskin University student accommodation for 2020 entry

Starting at Anglia Ruskin Uni ( Cambridge) in September and wanted some advice about the various accommodation offered. If possible I'd love a few pros/cons of each, if possible. Currently, Anastasia house seems the best option, but I have read some really bad reviews about it and was wondering if there is any truth to them.
Thanks for your time.
(edited 4 years ago)
You havnt stated what uni you are talking about. However if you want an honest idea of what the different halls are like, look up student reviews of them online, they are usually the most honest reviews (especially compared to biased university descriptions)
(edited 4 years ago)
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by pavlovapalava
Starting at Anglia Ruskin Uni ( Cambridge) in September and wanted some advice about the various accommodation offered. If possible I'd love a few pros/cons of each, if possible. Currently, Anastasia house seems the best option, but I have read some really bad reviews about it and was wondering if there is any truth to them.
Thanks for your time.

Hey Pavlovapalava!

I'm a 2nd year Film&TV Production student and I would consider myself an expert in uni accommodation as I stayed in three so far :smile: I stayed in CB1 in my 1st year, Collier Road over summer and I'm staying in the Railyard right now. I also spent quite a lot of time in Peter Taylor and Swinhoe Hall. It all depends on your needs. I don't mind a walk, but I prefer more modern accommodation so Railyard and CB1 were perfect for me. For the summer I went with Collier, cause I wanted to have a garden and be closer to the city. Anastasia is very close, I haven't been inside so I can't tell you how it looks like :smile: Do you have any questions I can help you with?
Original post by werato
Hey Pavlovapalava!

I'm a 2nd year Film&TV Production student and I would consider myself an expert in uni accommodation as I stayed in three so far :smile: I stayed in CB1 in my 1st year, Collier Road over summer and I'm staying in the Railyard right now. I also spent quite a lot of time in Peter Taylor and Swinhoe Hall. It all depends on your needs. I don't mind a walk, but I prefer more modern accommodation so Railyard and CB1 were perfect for me. For the summer I went with Collier, cause I wanted to have a garden and be closer to the city. Anastasia is very close, I haven't been inside so I can't tell you how it looks like :smile: Do you have any questions I can help you with?

Thank you for the speedy response, I'd love to know a little more about what you thought of Railyard if possible, as that is my second choice. Is there any drawbacks to living there that might put someone off, plus any tips and advice about staying in accommodation in general? Also a bit of an obvious question I'm sure but are there ensuite rooms with communal kitchens in railyard? have only seen photos of studio apartments online.
Thank you for the speedy response, I'd love to know a little more about what you thought of Railyard if possible, as that is my second choice. Is there any drawbacks to living there that might put someone off, plus any tips and advice about staying in accommodation in general? Also a bit of an obvious question I'm sure but are there ensuite rooms with communal kitchens in railyard? have only seen photos of studio apartments online.

Hi Pavlovapalava,
I’m currently a first year student at ARU studying Events management and just noticed this thread!
I’ve just finished my first year at Railyard and I have to say I loved it, and think it was the right decision for me!

Looking at your first comment you were comparing Anastasia and Railyard.

Each accommodation has pros and cons it just depends what you find more important, so for example Anastasia is located right next to uni so it’s very convenient to get into uni, but because it’s a older build the rooms aren’t as spacious and modern. Whereas Railyard the rooms are bigger and more modern, but it’s does take 10-15 mins to walk into uni.

Having said that I personally prefer Railyard, as the walk to go in didn’t bother me and I preferred to have a nicer room. Whilst I’m covering the location, Railyard is suited right next to the Cambridge station, which was great for me when I had friends over as it would literally only take 30 seconds for them to walk to my flat from the station! Or if they came from the park and ride it’s the second stop in and the bus stop is literally located right outside my block door, so no having to search for them in the city if they got lost! With food shopping there’s a co op located at the end of the left side of the Railyard and also a Sainsbury’s next to the station! And for fun things to do a 4 min walk over the bridge is the Cambridge leisure centre which has a cinema, bowling and high street restaurants such as five guys and Wagamamas, or if you want to go into town centre you can hop on the bus stop I mentioned earlier for £1,which takes you just outside the Grande arcade shopping centre.

Just noticed your question about the room itself, all of the rooms at Railyard have their own en-suite, each flat has a kitchen/lounge area which is shared between 6 people (including you).

I also think the Facilities at Railyard are quite good, as they have circuit washing machines room, a small gym (which mainly has cardio machines) and a common room were they also use the space to host events such as quiz nights, moving nights or even yoga!

If I’ve missed anything out, or have any other questions please let me know! :smile:
Reply 5

Hey! Sorry for a late reply. I would say that Railyard is personally my fav accommodation I stayed in. It's super modern and comfortable and the staff is very friendly. It can be noisy, but that's every halls for you, and that's not something you can't resolve by talking to your flatmates. I'm staying in Brunel, the studio only building and it's absolutely quiet, I love it. When I stayed in CB1, I stayed in the biggest building, so I had to deal with noise, but nothing too bad.

Overall, I would 100% recommend Railyard. There's loads of storage space in the rooms, but my no. 1 tip is to not pack too much stuff. You'll end up buying more clothes and clutter anyway. And yes, the shared flats have ensuites to each room. The shared flat kitchens are super lovely with sofas and huge fridges.
Reply 6
sorry to interrupt you with unrelated comment, but I'm looking for a replacement tenant urgently for the Railyard bronze studio( 43 weeks). I'm offering this room at reduced price. (you could save 430 pounds in total). please let me know if you are interested.
Thanks for your time.

Hi, thanks for choosing ARU! I'm a second year law student staying in student accommodation and living in Anastasia house so thought I can answer that question. In my opinion I think Anastasia and Swinhoe are the better options with cons for Anastasia house being comparatively small rooms.

I have stayed in Peter Taylor house in my first year, everything was fine. The maintenance (repair services) are very quick with any reported repairs. With the only con being it gets hot during summer time.
Anastasia house is fine with the only con being the rooms can be bit small. I have friends staying in Swinhoe House and it is fine as its on campus, so less chance to get late for 9 o'clock lectures. But, again in Swinhoe House it gets hot but you can get a table fan during June time. I have friends staying in Collier Road, everything is nice with one of the best pros being having garden in some of the houses.
Regarding the bad reviews, I have been staying in Anastasia since last September and I really like it. The location is absolutely amazing as it is so close to the university and local shops. It also does not get that hot during summer time.

If you have anymore questions, please let me know.

Syeda.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending