Modelling Curves as-level

Watch this thread
A0W0N
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have this question which i have started to attempt but i don't think i'm right i'd appreciate some help. I'll pos tthe question along with my attempt
A0W0N
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  132.2 KB
For i)
Views: 22
Size:  151.0 KB
I don't know where i was going with this
for ii)
Views: 20
Size:  145.5 KB
i guessing I'll need to differentiate it twice but then i don't onow what points to put into the equation
for iii) i have no idea how I'm supposed to draw it, i could do 8e^x or -4e^2x on its own but together i don't know

I'd really appreciate any help
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A0W0N)
For i)

I don't know where i was going with this
for ii)

i guessing I'll need to differentiate it twice but then i don't onow what points to put into the equation
for iii) i have no idea how I'm supposed to draw it, i could do 8e^x or -4e^2x on its own but together i don't know

I'd really appreciate any help
So, which log rule are you using when going from

8e^x - 4e^{2x} = 0

to

8\ln (x) - 4 \ln(2x) = 0

??
A0W0N
Rep:
(Original post by RDKGames)
So, which log rule are you using when going from

8e^x - 4e^{2x} = 0

to

8\ln (x) - 4 \ln(2x) = 0

??
ok i understand where i went wrong, i can't put ln(0) so wgat am i supposed to do to solve this?
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A0W0N)
ok i understand where i went wrong, i can't put ln(0) so wgat am i supposed to do to solve this?
Maybe move one of the exponentials over to the RHS so you don't end up taking log of 0.

But more generally, don't be under the impression that \log(a+b) = \log(a) + \log (b).
Sophhhowa
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
For the first part it also says axes so you also have to consider when x=0
ii) set 1st derivative = 0, then show that x=0
Are you Ok with the sketch?
A0W0N
Rep:
(Original post by Sophhhowa)
For the first part it also says axes so you also have to consider when x=0
ii) set 1st derivative = 0, then show that x=0
Are you Ok with the sketch?
I have no clue what I'm supposed to do for the sketch
A0W0N
Rep:
Maybe move one of the exponentials over to the RHS so you don't end up taking log of 0.

But more generally, don't be under the impression that \log(a+b) = \log(a) + \log (b).
Views: 11
Size:  162.0 KB
i got this again
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A0W0N)
Views: 11
Size:  162.0 KB
i got this again
ln(...) is an operation you apply to both sides of the equation.

Point being is that you must apply it to BOTH sides of the equation ENTIRELY.

So from

4e^(2x) = 8e^x

just divide both sides by 4 first to get

e^(2x) = 2e^x

then log BOTH SIDES ENTIRELY to obtain

ln( e^(2x) ) = ln( 2e^x )

and NOT

ln( e^(2x) ) = 2 ln( e^x )

which is a big error you are making.
Last edited by RDKGames; 2 years ago
A0W0N
Rep:
Views: 8
Size:  197.0 KB
ok i now understand what you meant and the mistake i made can you help me with the other two part please?
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A0W0N)
Views: 8
Size:  197.0 KB
ok i now understand what you meant and the mistake i made can you help me with the other two part please?
Looks good, just remember my comment about getting out of habit writing decimals...

For part (ii), well a good starting point is asking yourself if you know what a turning point is first of all.
A0W0N
Rep:
Looks good, just remember my comment about getting out of habit writing decimals...

For part (ii), well a good starting point is asking yourself if you know what a turning point is first of all.
Isn't a turning point where the lin changes direction?
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A0W0N)
Isn't a turning point where the lin changes direction?
You can be more specific than that.

It's where the curve goes from increasing to decreasing, or vice versa. Ultimately, it is the point where the first derivative is zero, and if the second derivative is non-zero then it is a turning point (as opposed to a point of inflection)
Last edited by RDKGames; 2 years ago
A0W0N
Rep:
Views: 7
Size:  169.0 KB
I've somehow messed this up
Sophhhowa
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A0W0N)
I have no clue what I'm supposed to do for the sketch
Think about the key points. E.g turning points, where the graph meets any axes and the general trend
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A0W0N)
Views: 7
Size:  169.0 KB
I've somehow messed this up
No, you haven't.

What is the one value of x which makes this equation hold?
A0W0N
Rep:
No, you haven't.

What is the one value of x which makes this equation hold?
So the turning point is at (0.0)?
Last edited by A0W0N; 2 years ago
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A0W0N)
So the turning point is at (0.0)?
x=0 is correct but you should check that y coordinate because it's not zero.

Remember that e^0 is equal to 1.
A0W0N
Rep:
i have the points is it still like a ln graph? i'm guessing its going to be like this, but I'm not sure
Views: 6
Size:  151.5 KB
Attached files
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A0W0N)
i have the points is it still like a ln graph? i'm guessing its going to be like this, but I'm not sure
Yes you got the correct sketch now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.43%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
13.1%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.95%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (14)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.24%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.62%

Watched Threads