The Student Room Group

Will being president of a political party campus society look bad?

I'm the president of a political party's campus society. Will adding this onto my CV for finance roles look bad? I've got a lot of good experience to write about from my time as society president like forming relationships with MPs and organising events for 30+ students but I've heard that many ib/am/pe etc. don't want you to have a political leaning. However, as a Politics student surely they have assumed that I have political opinions given the reason why I'm studying politics.

I'll also be applying to internships and placements at these firms later this year.

Thank you
Reply 1
If it wasn't clear I'll be going into second year
Original post by adoodling
If it wasn't clear I'll be going into second year

Being president of a society in first year is a massive achievement
I doubt it’ll make you look bad, it’s an impressive thing to have accomplished. but I wouldn’t show how you lean on your cv. say what you’ve done but don’t name the party
As you said everyone expects you to have a political view, I very much doubt that you will be discriminated against because of your beliefs. At the end of the day, you got some valuable experiences that might set you apart from other grads, so the positives definitely outway any potential negatives
Reply 5
Potentially
It might depend on whether it's a "political party" they believe is going to materially damage their reputation being associated with e.g. BNP or something...

I don't really see that it's expected a politics student will be necessarily engaged in the practical matters of politics; I imagine at least some may merely be interested in it from an academic perspective.
Reply 7
Thank you everyone for your comments, I generally agree that it's a good thing as long as it's worded correctly.
(edited 3 years ago)
I mean it depends how extreme the party is probably but i doubt your gunna actually get discriminated against that anyway, it will look good your a president regardless.
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger
It might depend on whether it's a "political party" they believe is going to materially damage their reputation being associated with e.g. BNP or something...

I don't really see that it's expected a politics student will be necessarily engaged in the practical matters of politics; I imagine at least some may merely be interested in it from an academic perspective.

No just a mainstream party. Yes that's also true but a sizeable proportion of students are also involved in party politics.
I'm the president of a political party's campus society. Will adding this onto my CV for finance roles look bad? I've got a lot of good experience to write about from my time as society president like forming relationships with MPs and organising events for 30+ students but I've heard that many ib/am/pe etc. don't want you to have a political leaning. However, as a Politics student surely they have assumed that I have political opinions given the reason why I'm studying politics.

I'll also be applying to internships and placements at these firms later this year.

Thank you

You'll be fine as long as its not Maxists/Leninists/Nazi type of thing. Otherwise good thing to be pres, congratz.
Reply 11
Original post by xtrembob
You'll be fine as long as its not Maxists/Leninists/Nazi type of thing. Otherwise good thing to be pres, congratz.

Thanks. None like those and even if I was some Marxist, ib would be the last job I would want to pursue. ahaha
Thanks. None like those and even if I was some Marxist, ib would be the last job I would want to pursue. ahaha

You'll do just fine then!

The general convention is not to mention politics in a job application. However, as a student/career starter, it may provide evidence you can't afford to exclude. Generally though, I advise not the mention the name of the party if possible eg

2019-20 President, Mainstream Student Political Society, University of Wherever

Led over xxx students in a range of political ......

Managed .......................

Organised ...............

Negotiated ...................................

Ensured ........................................

You could drop the word Mainstream, or you could say Parliamentary - your choice.

Of course, if you can be certain the employer has a positive view of the party, then mention it as often as you can!
Reply 14
Original post by threeportdrift
The general convention is not to mention politics in a job application. However, as a student/career starter, it may provide evidence you can't afford to exclude. Generally though, I advise not the mention the name of the party if possible eg

2019-20 President, Mainstream Student Political Society, University of Wherever

Led over xxx students in a range of political ......

Managed .......................

Organised ...............

Negotiated ...................................

Ensured ........................................

You could drop the word Mainstream, or you could say Parliamentary - your choice.

Of course, if you can be certain the employer has a positive view of the party, then mention it as often as you can!

Okay, thanks for the advice, I'll definitely do some more research on this. I imagine having experience with liaising with MPs (building relationships with senior professionals) and organising events for 40+ people is probably better than the some a lot of the other very impressive stuff people put on their CV for ib.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending