The Student Room Group

Is biology a level or history a level more suited to an economics degree

I am choosing my a levels and I know that I want to do chemistry and economics but I’m not sure wether to do biology or history as my third option. I find both interesting and achieved the same grade for both in mocks, I prefer an objective science style exam but from what I’ve seen online biology a level sounds quite subjective due to the mark scheme and there is an essay in the biology exam also. They both seem to have a lot of content and seem equally hard so I’m really not sure which one to pick. Does anyone who has done both or one of these a levels have any advice?
Reply 1
If you want to study economics you must have done at least maths (to get into any university) and preferably further maths (if you want to go to a top university like Oxbridge and LSE). Other than maths and further maths it really does not matter what subject (s) you take as your third or fourth A levels however history might be useful as there is a significant part of essay-writing in economics.
What would be suited to an Economics degree would be Maths. Is there any reason why you’re not doing it or are you specfically applying for BA Economics (doesn’t require A’level Maths at most Unis) as opposed to Bsc Economics?
Original post by BedfordMom
What would be suited to an Economics degree would be Maths. Is there any reason why you’re not doing it or are you specfically applying for BA Economics (doesn’t require A’level Maths at most Unis) as opposed to Bsc Economics?

thanks for the reply, I'm not taking maths because i just don't really enjoy the subject. i will probably apply for mainly BA economics but i noticed a lot of of Russel group universities (pretty much half) didn't actually require maths and often didn't mention a preference for maths apart from commonly a 7 at gcse level even for Bsc economics so i was hoping that chemistry would demonstrate sufficient maths appility.
Original post by Luwei
If you want to study economics you must have done at least maths (to get into any university) and preferably further maths (if you want to go to a top university like Oxbridge and LSE). Other than maths and further maths it really does not matter what subject (s) you take as your third or fourth A levels however history might be useful as there is a significant part of essay-writing in economics.

thanks for the reply, I thought that i would need maths but then i looked at all the Russel group universities entry requirements for both BA and Bsc economics and noticed that about half of the courses didn't require or prefer maths a level so i thought that chemistry would show sufficient maths ability for these courses.
Original post by Anonymous2467
thanks for the reply, I'm not taking maths because i just don't really enjoy the subject. i will probably apply for mainly BA economics but i noticed a lot of of Russel group universities (pretty much half) didn't actually require maths and often didn't mention a preference for maths apart from commonly a 7 at gcse level even for Bsc economics so i was hoping that chemistry would demonstrate sufficient maths appility.

Do you have a grade 7 or above in GCSE Maths as per requirements?
Original post by BedfordMom
Do you have a grade 7 or above in GCSE Maths as per requirements?

my gcses are cancelled but i did get a 7 in my mocks so i don't see why they would give me lower.
So your question really is, in the absence of a grade 7 in GCSE Maths, will A’level Chemistry suffice? The answer is ‘no. You have to meet the requirements as stated, there is usually some flexibility on entry requirements though but usually not for subjects, you do need to have GCSE Maths at that grade. However, in the current climate of universities scrambling for students as a result of the pandemic, there is every chance they might lower some of their requirements e.g Grade 6 in Maths. Let’s keep fingers crossed that you’ll get a 7 in Maths when results come out.

Quick Reply

Latest