The Student Room Group

Westminster School 2021 16+ entrance thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by choiii
I got through 2

okay just wondering as I only got thru 1 and feel like that won't be enough. Does anyone who got thru know how many people did to get in or if it's that important?
Original post by becausethenight
Um.... you know even day pupils regularly stay in school until 9, 10pm to do extracurricular and work, right?
No way could you do that every day after school.

:lolwut:

I didn't apply to Oxbridge. I'm at Imperial.

That's...probably not a good reason to pick a school :tongue:

deals I mean like bro the deals in cambridge that you might not know like as an example in the usa election trump probably made a deal with an oil company that if they support him and he wins the election, then he will probably increase the price for oil or support them u know like these deals

my physics n chemistry tutor is from imperial he said he would help me to get into westminster lol

im sure there r ppl who don't study till 9 o clock but I just love wesminster is a good boarding skl I have to go to boarding skl
Reply 242
Original post by bb_05
okay just wondering as I only got thru 1 and feel like that won't be enough. Does anyone who got thru know how many people did to get in or if it's that important?

tbh i don’t think the number of questions you got through really matter cuz i feel like everyone got different questions and the interview’s for them to see how u think and find ways around a problem :smile:
Original post by becausethenight
That's normal, just try and relax and focus on your GCSEs :hugs:
You got an interview, so you're already doing well!

I took interviews in English, History, Latin and Greek, which all went quite well (though latin was a bit off) - if I were to be offered a place, do you think I'd be able to swap english for maths and further maths. i.e. taking History, Latin, Greek, Maths and Further Maths - ik they say it doesn't help for uni to do 5 but it would give me more options for courses...
Original post by Starfish_14
I took interviews in English, History, Latin and Greek, which all went quite well (though latin was a bit off) - if I were to be offered a place, do you think I'd be able to swap english for maths and further maths. i.e. taking History, Latin, Greek, Maths and Further Maths - ik they say it doesn't help for uni to do 5 but it would give me more options for courses...

You'll have to have that conversation with them when you get your place. Realistically, I don't think it's likely - I know one person who took Double Maths, History, Physics and Greek but the school clearly massively regretted letting him and he was doing IMO maths (plus, it's less work because Physics rather than Latin). See what they say though :smile:
Reply 245
has anyone heard back from westminster yet? x
Original post by bb_05
has anyone heard back from westminster yet? x

yep. what did yours say?
I got a conditional offer 😊! If anyone else got it, maybe we could chat about it on Insta or smtg? Im having a hard time making my decision. Thanks :smile:!!!
Original post by bb_05
I'm on the waiting list. u?

same. Do you have any idea when we will know there is a place available and approx how many people got onto waiting list? there seem to be a lot
Reply 249
Original post by marauder
I got a conditional offer 😊! If anyone else got it, maybe we could chat about it on Insta or smtg? Im having a hard time making my decision. Thanks :smile:!!!

I got a conditional offer too :smile:
Original post by choiii
I got a conditional offer too :smile:

Nice :smile:! Do you have Instagram? Message me if you do :biggrin:!!
Reply 251
Original post by marauder
Nice :smile:! Do you have Instagram? Message me if you do :biggrin:!!

If you dm me your insta I can add you to the gc :smile:
Reply 252
Original post by S.mw
If you dm me your insta I can add you to the gc :smile:

hey can i also join I’ll message you my insta :biggrin:
If there’s anyone who got accepted into Westminster and has a gc on insta. could you message me. thanks :smile: :smile:
Original post by kaushal36
If there’s anyone who got accepted into Westminster and has a gc on insta. could you message me. thanks :smile: :smile:

Hey sure message me ur @
Original post by S.mw
If you dm me your insta I can add you to the gc :smile:S

Sorry, I know I'm a week late (and a complete newbie), but I got a conditional offer as well, and I'd love to speak to other 2021 people!
Original post by lucky goldfish
Hey sure message me ur @

if a groupchat is present and available, may I be added?
Hi all! I see I'm a bit late to the thread... nonetheless I would be so grateful if anyone could offer me some advice!

I'm an international student from Hong Kong and I'm planning to apply for Westminster 16+ entry in 2022. I'm planning to select History, Maths (w/out further maths), Philo&Theo and Econ/history of art. However, I won't be taking (I)GCSEs and I'm currently following the local HK curriculum, which is completely different from the GCSE curriculum. So I'd like to know:

1. Do I have to prepare anything extra in order to handle the entrance exams? I've read through the prospectuses and the threads countless times and I understand that there's basically nothing much to prepare, except for consolidating my current knowledge and skills. I'm also going to self-study the history curriculum for GCSEs just to facilitate my learning progress when I take A-levels.

2. Would my lack of (I)GCSEs affect the rate of my getting an offer at Westminster? Or would I get an unconditional offer instead? (that is, if I'm qualified to get in) If anyone's had prior experience then I would love to know more!

Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by hattietofu
Hi all! I see I'm a bit late to the thread... nonetheless I would be so grateful if anyone could offer me some advice!

I'm an international student from Hong Kong and I'm planning to apply for Westminster 16+ entry in 2022. I'm planning to select History, Maths (w/out further maths), Philo&Theo and Econ/history of art. However, I won't be taking (I)GCSEs and I'm currently following the local HK curriculum, which is completely different from the GCSE curriculum. So I'd like to know:

1. Do I have to prepare anything extra in order to handle the entrance exams? I've read through the prospectuses and the threads countless times and I understand that there's basically nothing much to prepare, except for consolidating my current knowledge and skills. I'm also going to self-study the history curriculum for GCSEs just to facilitate my learning progress when I take A-levels.

2. Would my lack of (I)GCSEs affect the rate of my getting an offer at Westminster? Or would I get an unconditional offer instead? (that is, if I'm qualified to get in) If anyone's had prior experience then I would love to know more!

Hi! I've just an offer from Westminster for 2021 so I guess I am somewhat qualified to help :smile:

I sat exams in History, HoA, English and Russian, so whilst I cannot speak for Maths, for humanities subjects my main advice is honestly not to overthink it. Personally, I did not do much prep for essay subjects outside of generally reading around the subjects for my own enjoyment. For the exams I largely found that any last-ditch prep did not really help, as they were not tests of particular knowledge but rather tests of your thinking skills and how well you can construct an argument/analyse a source.

The History exam was purely source-based so I wouldn't focus on covering the GCSE curriculum unless you genuinely find it interesting. I think that consolidating skills like source analysis and essay writing, along with researching particular areas of History you find interesting would be better prep. It could perhaps be helpful looking at GCSE History mark schemes.

You have still got quite a few months until applications open, so I wouldn't sweat it. The exams and interviews were actually much less stressful than I had expected, so as long as you work hard in your current studies and read around your subjects you should be well enough prepared! :smile:
Original post by hattietofu

Hi! I'm also an International Westminster student who just received an unconditional offer for 2021 sixth form entry. I know it's a bit late but I'm happy to help! Just like you, I haven't started learning IGCSE until 2020 but I still got in(going through the prospectuses is also very relatable for me haha), so no worries if you aren't learning the same curriculum! A great (I) GCSE knowledge isn't exactly what they are looking for and you could still get in without it.

My entrance examination subjects are Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Spanish, so I think I could help you in the Maths part. I personally think the Mathematics does not require any knowledge beyond your normal syllabus (I'm not sure what the HK syllabus is but I believe it could be around the same difficulty as IGCSE), so you don't need to do any additional learning. When I was preparing for the exam, I've done some past papers form the UKMT maths challenge and although the questions are not so similar, it really helps to build the mindset required to solve the Westminster entrance exams. The test questions' difficulty varies, so don't worry if you can't finish all the questions or there are some hard to solve ones. I haven't solved all the questions but still pass for further Maths (they're in the same paper).

As for the interviews, since we did it online the time was extremely limited (only 15 min per subject) The teacher in charge of my interview basically asked me some similar questions which I hadn't solved in the written exam, and she would give me some guidance when I was stuck until we got through it. Also nothing outside of the syllabus! Those questions only require you to think "out of the box" or more complexly for solutions. Generally speaking, I would recommend you to just focus on your current syllabus for Maths, and maybe practice some harder, non-calculator questions both in Geometry and Arithmetics and that's enough.

Sadly, I'm not able to provide you with a definite answer to the possibility of unconditional or conditional offers, because the situation is particularly special this year. I applied as an international student but studies in a school with IGCSE so at first, they gave me a conditional offer. However, they said that if I had to go back to my own country during this time, I don't necessarily need an (I)GCSE grade but only need to send them my school reports. Afterwards, due to the GCSE and A-Level cancellation in the UK, they changed all the offers into unconditional offers. Therefore, if nothing special happens, I believe you would still get a conditional offer but only need to send them your school reports. I think what matters more to them is your performance in the entrance exams as well as the interview.

Wish you all the best for your preparation and looking forward to meeting you next year:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending