The Student Room Group

Entrance exams into Westminster and other sixth forms in 2024

I just wanted to start a thread for everybody applying to sixth forms for next year and just to comment on the exams.
I am applying to Westminster, Kings' College Wimbledon, City of London Freeman's and Emmanuel school.
What are good extracurriculars when applying for sixth form???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hii!! I'm so glad someone made this thread because I've been pretty nervous about applying for sixth forms. I'm planning on applying to Westminster, Oundle, and maybe Wellington or D'Overbroeck's, but I'm not sure about the last two - honestly just really hoping I get into Westminster. I'm a girl and an international applicant if that makes any difference.

I've read on a lot of these forums that a ton of people who get in do chess/maths/some sort of sport at national level which seems absolutely insane to me.

I've played cricket for my school team in term 1 & 2 (we've never had a match because there isn't another team near us); I'm editor in chief of my school newspaper; I've been interviewed on national tv for "speaking English well" and generally being interesting as a child thrice (I live in SE Asia); and I've recently attended a youth conference at the UN in NYC. I'm also taking a course for a certification in tech editing by tkga but it's a very niche thing... I guess it shows that I have hobbies? lol

Most of my extracurriculars aren't noted by my school though so if wsmt doesn't look at extracurriculars outside of school I'll seem like the most boring person in the world because I barely leave my house after school haha. I don't think I've really done anything as impressive as the sort of stuff people get up to though, so I'm kind of nervous about that.

What extracurriculars do you do and what subjects are you planning to apply to do?
Reply 2
OMG thank u for liking this thread. I'm not an international student. Also a girl applying for Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics.
However, I'm worried as it is a very popular combination.
I play chess, participated in some comeptitions. Also, I think that in interviews they would ask you about your hobbies and stuff so it isn't too bad.
I'm just nervous with this whole applying to sixth form thing as there is a lot of competition and very few spots.
Reply 3
Yeah same!!
Thanks for replying so quickly -- it would be nice to keep in contact throughout the application and keep the thread going since there aren't many active :smile:

Chess is ridiculously cool. I'm rubbish at it but sometimes I play and my friends stare at me when I make a ridiculously random and out of the blue move. It's to keep them on their toes, I guess? I play backgammon though.

We're applying for at least two similar subjects then! Good luck! I'm still bent on whether or not to apply for Econ or Philosophy because I read online that it's easier to get in with classics than the stem/econ subjects and I'm already applying for two, and I think I might want to do PPE when I go to uni so having those might be useful. I might even drop fm and take both - who knows haha. I'm taking global perspectives atm and my teacher said that econ/politics is a natural progression from there so it might be fun. I took a look at the question paper and it looks like what we do, if only a bit more mathy.

I'm really nervous about applying to sixth forms too! I feel like everyone applying will be the best in their class so the competition is insane. Except for a few people in previous years I've never really been in a very competitive environment. My entire class only has 10 people and a couple of them don't really care about school, so being top of my class doesn't quite feel like I'm standing on equal footing with all the super smart people out there -- if that makes sense at all?

The numbers I read online about how many apply differs from 600-1000 applicants per year so just to be careful I'm gaslighting myself into thinking it has a <7.5% acceptance rate which is loads higher than the chances of getting Taylor Swift's Eras tour tickets haha.
Hey I'm also applying for Kings and Westminster! For Westminster I'm going to take geography, english, philosophy, and then I'm stuck between economics and art history. For Kings I would take philosophy psychology politics and maybe geography. So I'm a bit more humanities based than you guys.

My extracurriculars aren't that impressive, they're mostly sports based which doesn't help much I'm guessing. I've done sports to a high level but regarding academics, it's mostly a few science and maths competitions which my entire year undertook since I go to a grammar school.

I'm quite worried about the TSA and general paper? Do you guys know much about that, I'm a bit confused.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by zziawoo
Hey I'm also applying for Kings and Westminster! For Westminster I'm going to take geography, english, philosophy, and then I'm stuck between economics and art history. For Kings I would take philosophy psychology politics and maybe geography. So I'm a bit more humanities based than you guys.

My extracurriculars aren't that impressive, they're mostly sports based which doesn't help much I'm guessing. I've done sports to a high level but regarding academics, it's mostly a few science and maths competitions which my entire year undertook since I go to a grammar school.

I'm quite worried about the TSA and general paper? Do you guys know much about that, I'm a bit confused.

Ooh a humanities person! Hi! I’m also wondering if I should just do maths/phil/history/econ which would be a bit more similar to your subject choices. Idk really but your extracurriculars seem like they have a breadth which is what westminster seems to want. And it shows dedication, I guess?

I read that their TSA is milder than the oxbridge one, but it might’ve changed since the comments I read were made. I’m not sure about the general one - I don’t think they do a general paper but a general interview? Their website says it’ll be 20 minutes this year like all their subject interviews.
Original post by bicompton
Ooh a humanities person! Hi! I’m also wondering if I should just do maths/phil/history/econ which would be a bit more similar to your subject choices. Idk really but your extracurriculars seem like they have a breadth which is what westminster seems to want. And it shows dedication, I guess?

I read that their TSA is milder than the oxbridge one, but it might’ve changed since the comments I read were made. I’m not sure about the general one - I don’t think they do a general paper but a general interview? Their website says it’ll be 20 minutes this year like all their subject interviews.

maths people scare me honestly haha kudos to you i do take add. maths at gcse but hate it so much. regarding the general paper question, i think kings does that so i was asking but yeah westminster has a general interview.

i feel as though i should partake in more clubs than just sport, which is a bit worrying because i don't think i have the time tbh

what subjects would be your other choice? maths/econ definitely go together and so do philosophy/history i reckon, so it's good you have variety but if you're rlly into maths then it might be good to do physics or smth idk im clueless tbh.

i forgot to say i'm also a girl!! :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by zziawoo
maths people scare me honestly haha kudos to you i do take add. maths at gcse but hate it so much. regarding the general paper question, i think kings does that so i was asking but yeah westminster has a general interview.

i feel as though i should partake in more clubs than just sport, which is a bit worrying because i don't think i have the time tbh

what subjects would be your other choice? maths/econ definitely go together and so do philosophy/history i reckon, so it's good you have variety but if you're rlly into maths then it might be good to do physics or smth idk im clueless tbh.

i forgot to say i'm also a girl!! :smile:

Ooh I (will) take add maths too! But my school does this thing where we do normal maths first, take the test in oct/nov, and then add maths in june. I’m really excited but nervous at the same time.

Will you be an international student? I noticed you said add maths instead of further which is CIE I think? I’ll be one (will board), and also a girl.

idk if I’m actually very good at maths? I just really enjoy it. I read that Westminster allows you to switch subjects after you get accepted if you take your exams so I figured that if I don’t like either philosophy or econ I’ll ask to take further maths. I‘ve been walking around calling physics “wannabe maths” to anyone that’ll listen for years haha - people who take it are insanely cool though! I was also considering art history because I take art but I felt like it doesn’t fit in with the rest of my subject choices. In all honesty I want to take all of their subjects - it seems like such a good school!
Ooh I (will) take add maths too! But my school does this thing where we do normal maths first, take the test in oct/nov, and then add maths in june. I’m really excited but nervous at the same time.

Will you be an international student? I noticed you said add maths instead of further which is CIE I think? I’ll be one (will board), and also a girl.

idk if I’m actually very good at maths? I just really enjoy it. I read that Westminster allows you to switch subjects after you get accepted if you take your exams so I figured that if I don’t like either philosophy or econ I’ll ask to take further maths. I‘ve been walking around calling physics “wannabe maths” to anyone that’ll listen for years haha - people who take it are insanely cool though! I was also considering art history because I take art but I felt like it doesn’t fit in with the rest of my subject choices. In all honesty I want to take all of their subjects - it seems like such a good school!

what country are you coming from? i go to school in england, my school just calls it add maths so im not really sure, it's basically where we cover all the gcse topics in year 10 and then do alevel content in year 11. but i likely would board as well because i don't want to commute two hours every day and i think it would be a good experience :smile:

at the open day, the tour guide said it was completely fine to change your subjects after the entrance but then the westminster website said that you'll need to resit exams if you switch which is confusing me tbh

i would really like to do art history but i feel like it's regarded as a weaker alevel by universities so i don't know haha i probably would hate economics but it would be more useful
Reply 9
Original post by zziawoo
what country are you coming from? i go to school in england, my school just calls it add maths so im not really sure, it's basically where we cover all the gcse topics in year 10 and then do alevel content in year 11. but i likely would board as well because i don't want to commute two hours every day and i think it would be a good experience :smile:

at the open day, the tour guide said it was completely fine to change your subjects after the entrance but then the westminster website said that you'll need to resit exams if you switch which is confusing me tbh

i would really like to do art history but i feel like it's regarded as a weaker alevel by universities so i don't know haha i probably would hate economics but it would be more useful

I go to a school in Vietnam - we do cambridge igcse. I think schools have different ways of structuring maths/add maths. We'd both be boarders then! It would be really nice if we both got in and already made a friend!

I've heard some people say that it's fine to change your subjects after - apparently you take the exam and if you get a good grade in it you can switch and otherwise you keep the subject you got in for. And apparently someone swapped subjects 4 times before settling down at christmas.

Art history is insanely cool and if I was more interested in art I'd probably take it but I'm not really that big into art and I can't see myself doing anything related to art further down. I take global perspectives atm which is basically global politics/econ/presentations/research essays. And apparently weird names that "haven't been used in the last 100 years" according to a random baby name website I found. I really like gp so I think I'll like econ. It's also partially maths from what I've seen so yay for that! Stats, too, which is my favourite part about maths. I think it's also a lot of essay writing which basically means it's a direct path from the class I'm taking.
Reply 10
Hey guys, current (about to graduate) sixth former here. I got into King's (Cantebury I'm assuming), Brighton, Wellington (although I ended up going to a different sixth form) and I think this advice depends differently between international and home applicants.

International applicants will undoubtedly require significantly higher stats/entry requirements.
If you're applying for entry at sixth form, be expected to have high iGCSEs (if you come from say GSIS or any international iGCSE school) or it's equivalents (such as IB pred 7s, high AP scores etc), having good extracurriculars (for internationals this usually is music, it certainly was for me, e.g. DipABRSM / ARSM in piano/violin/flute etc.), if you are good at Rugby/cricket (if you're from an international school that is possible), any competitions for music/poetry/sport that you've won.

If you're applying for entry at novi/year 9, be expected to have decent report cards and MYP scores, or again any iGCSE predicted equivalents. Sport and music are important here, even more so particularly. All the above advice on sports/extracurriculars is still applicable here. You will have a higher chance if you are particularly skilled in one area, e.g. maths. With the interviews, I would say that dress to impress. Try to come off as more mature, try to be more cheerful. Cheerful and mature can go together. This is something that will definitely help.

Best of luck to all applying!
Reply 11
Original post by zziawoo

Also I forgot to ask!! What was the open day like? I wanted to go but my school only ends on the friday before that and I didn't want to hop on a plane right after school ended. I'm trying to recreate that this summer by visiting the abbey as a tourist but obviously it wouldn't be the same at all.
I go to a school in Vietnam - we do cambridge igcse. I think schools have different ways of structuring maths/add maths. We'd both be boarders then! It would be really nice if we both got in and already made a friend!

I've heard some people say that it's fine to change your subjects after - apparently you take the exam and if you get a good grade in it you can switch and otherwise you keep the subject you got in for. And apparently someone swapped subjects 4 times before settling down at christmas.

Art history is insanely cool and if I was more interested in art I'd probably take it but I'm not really that big into art and I can't see myself doing anything related to art further down. I take global perspectives atm which is basically global politics/econ/presentations/research essays. And apparently weird names that "haven't been used in the last 100 years" according to a random baby name website I found. I really like gp so I think I'll like econ. It's also partially maths from what I've seen so yay for that! Stats, too, which is my favourite part about maths. I think it's also a lot of essay writing which basically means it's a direct path from the class I'm taking.

oh my gosh i love vietnam, i'm chinese so asian representation 👍👍 i don't do art at all but i'd like to do law and westminster doesn't have psychology or politics which is what i was going to take so i'm a bit stuck for options. art history is apparently for people who like english/phil/history so might suit me but still stuck between it and econ haha

igcse has cool options i would've loved to take global perspectives! for gcse i take triple science, maths, add maths, english lit&lang, french, rs, pe and geography
Reply 13
Original post by zziawoo
oh my gosh i love vietnam, i'm chinese so asian representation 👍👍 i don't do art at all but i'd like to do law and westminster doesn't have psychology or politics which is what i was going to take so i'm a bit stuck for options. art history is apparently for people who like english/phil/history so might suit me but still stuck between it and econ haha

igcse has cool options i would've loved to take global perspectives! for gcse i take triple science, maths, add maths, english lit&lang, french, rs, pe and geography

yay! i've only been to hk which isn't china, but china looks wonderful in pictures! and the history it has is really well documented imo! over here it's a lot more murky.

law is awesome. I wanted to be a lawyer for years! that might still be an option ig but i haven't thought about it recently. i've been thinking about doing ppe / international relations at uni and then doing something like that, but i also kind of want to study history / maths so idk! we basically have the same subject choices other than maths then! i was also thinking about doing psychology and politics! I love history but when I do art I do a lot more of chucking stuff at a wall than any of the traditional artsy things. i'm pretty sure the only reason why i got a decent grade in art is because of my collage and postering skills (thanks mum for being an artist lol)

global is super fun! idk if it's regarded as a substancial igcse because it's actually really easy if you have basic research/presentation/essay writing skills. I take coordinated (2x) science, maths, add maths, english lit&lang, french foreign language, history, global, and art. My school doesn't offer triple science which is really sad! we only have one maths/science teacher for igcse rn. he still lets students he thinks are good enough do triple mocks and if they get good results the school will register them for triple, but so far no one has gotten good enough mocks. I tried to get my school to be an exam centre and let me self study and do extra igcses (econ) and they told me i was insane because i'm already taking everything they offer. I might still try to register through some sort of homeschool platform and do it just to annoy my teachers who told me they're worried about my workload haha
Also I forgot to ask!! What was the open day like? I wanted to go but my school only ends on the friday before that and I didn't want to hop on a plane right after school ended. I'm trying to recreate that this summer by visiting the abbey as a tourist but obviously it wouldn't be the same at all.

it was great! the site is really nice and the tour guide was sweet as well, we got to have a look at the boarding houses and we all get our own room which is amazing. some things which is annoying for me were that we have to go to school on saturday from like 9 to 1pm, and also all the buildings are really spread out so you need to walk a lot if you have classes in different places. but the location is so nice and they said you can go out in the evenings and weekends which is so great
Reply 15
Original post by Ionomer
Hey guys, current (about to graduate) sixth former here. I got into King's (Cantebury I'm assuming), Brighton, Wellington (although I ended up going to a different sixth form) and I think this advice depends differently between international and home applicants.

International applicants will undoubtedly require significantly higher stats/entry requirements.
If you're applying for entry at sixth form, be expected to have high iGCSEs (if you come from say GSIS or any international iGCSE school) or it's equivalents (such as IB pred 7s, high AP scores etc), having good extracurriculars (for internationals this usually is music, it certainly was for me, e.g. DipABRSM / ARSM in piano/violin/flute etc.), if you are good at Rugby/cricket (if you're from an international school that is possible), any competitions for music/poetry/sport that you've won.

If you're applying for entry at novi/year 9, be expected to have decent report cards and MYP scores, or again any iGCSE predicted equivalents. Sport and music are important here, even more so particularly. All the above advice on sports/extracurriculars is still applicable here. You will have a higher chance if you are particularly skilled in one area, e.g. maths. With the interviews, I would say that dress to impress. Try to come off as more mature, try to be more cheerful. Cheerful and mature can go together. This is something that will definitely help.

Best of luck to all applying!

ty for the advice!

My teachers only predicts grades after y11 mocks, but from what I've observed I'm predicted mostly A*s and As, and maybe a B or two. Do you think that teacher comments matter? My comments are mostly alright but I think my french teacher hates me and basically complained that I was an awful student in her class and said I was "late to class" which I'd never been. My only proper extracurricular is being editor of the school newspaper - would that be a good extracurricular? I'm not big into sports and we don't really have a big music department (or any, for that matter). I play in my class band? but it's more of a marketing thing than an igcse/gcse thing.

I think that the hardest bits will be the exams and the few teacher comments because I'm usually pretty good with teachers and I'm always cheerful anyways. Is there a thing as being "too knowledgable" in certain areas about the school (policies, old TSR threads etc)? I like to do research but I certainly don't want to come off as stalker-ish. TIA!
(edited 10 months ago)
ty for the advice!

My teachers only predicts grades after y11 mocks, but from what I've observed I'm predicted mostly A*s and As, and maybe a B or two. Do you think that teacher comments matter? My comments are mostly alright but I think my french teacher hates me and basically complained that I was an awful student in her class and said I was "late to class" which I'd never been. My only proper extracurricular is being editor of the school newspaper - would that be a good extracurricular? I'm not big into sports and we don't really have a big music department (or any, for that matter). I play in my class band? but it's more of a marketing thing than an igcse/gcse thing.

I think that the hardest bits will be the exams and the few teacher comments because I'm usually pretty good with teachers and I'm always cheerful anyways. Is there a thing as being "too knowledgable" in certain areas about the school (policies, old TSR threads etc)? I like to do research but I certainly don't want to come off as stalker-ish. TIA!

what part of the application requires teacher comments? i thought the school would write to your head and then they'll give you a recommendation, is it different for international application? i definitely need to read up on the entry process haha
Reply 17
Original post by zziawoo
what part of the application requires teacher comments? i thought the school would write to your head and then they'll give you a recommendation, is it different for international application? i definitely need to read up on the entry process haha

If what I remember is right then they ask that you submit teacher comments instead of grades because each school grades differently. I think this is in the online submission stage? And after the exams they write to your head and take both into consideration when inviting you to the interview day. I’m not sure though because I haven’t put my submission in yet
Reply 18
ty for the advice!

So I think in term of "reports" or teachers comment's, this kind of change. In my school we have a term report, which basically details my grades and my performance for all subjects, so that's what I handed in. If your French teacher hates you then... err.. do a little brown nosing lol or just straight up tell her that you're applying for another school... you could also bring it up with the head of your year or any person with a little bit more authority to see how that happens. I had a teacher who liked me write me a letter of recommendation, but I feel this kind of changes between different schools. Being editor is great! That will definitely help, but overall I thing you would need quite a significant no. of achievements, ie 4 or more to really be more competitive. Personally I was from a mostly American international school, so we were working with lots of charities etc. since we started and that probably made my CV a little bit better. If you are good at music though, or good at one specific thing, that could be writing or poetry or recital etc. that could help. I got invited to a performance thing where I played for multiple admissions officers and got accepted for multiple scholarships. If you have a superb piece of writing, or a journalistic article I would highly suggest you hand it in because it a) makes an impression, and b) shows prowess that indicates you could continue this in the future and c) could land you a scholarship

I don't think it hurts per se to be knowledgable, but I don't think it matters. When I came in for the interviews, I didn't much about the schools I was applying to.. obviously little details on new facilities etc but not so much... heck even to this day I can't remember when it was founded lol. I would say know enough, but not to the point where you know teachers' names (aside from your interviewer) or specific things. Hope this helps!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Ionomer
So I think in term of "reports" or teachers comment's, this kind of change. In my school we have a term report, which basically details my grades and my performance for all subjects, so that's what I handed in. If your French teacher hates you then... err.. do a little brown nosing lol or just straight up tell her that you're applying for another school... you could also bring it up with the head of your year or any person with a little bit more authority to see how that happens. I had a teacher who liked me write me a letter of recommendation, but I feel this kind of changes between different schools. Being editor is great! That will definitely help, but overall I thing you would need quite a significant no. of achievements, ie 4 or more to really be more competitive. Personally I was from a mostly American international school, so we were working with lots of charities etc. since we started and that probably made my CV a little bit better. If you are good at music though, or good at one specific thing, that could be writing or poetry or recital etc. that could help. I got invited to a performance thing where I played for multiple admissions officers and got accepted for multiple scholarships. If you have a superb piece of writing, or a journalistic article I would highly suggest you hand it in because it a) makes an impression, and b) shows prowess that indicates you could continue this in the future and c) could land you a scholarship

I don't think it hurts per se to be knowledgable, but I don't think it matters. When I came in for the interviews, I didn't much about the schools I was applying to.. obviously little details on new facilities etc but not so much... heck even to this day I can't remember when it was founded lol. I would say know enough, but not to the point where you know teachers' names (aside from your interviewer) or specific things. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much!

We have term reports too, but even according to our teachers they're "more detailed than most schools". I brought it up with my homeroom (school too small for a head) and he basically made a face and said yeah that sucks. Not much I can do about it, I think :frown: I really like him, and I'm sure he'd be happy to write me a letter of recommendation. Thanks for that! I wrote out all my academic and non-academic achievements in a comment either in this thread or above somewhere, so I'll put that in here.

"I've played cricket for my school team in term 1 & 2 (we've never had a match because there isn't another team near us); I'm editor in chief of my school newspaper; I've been interviewed on national tv for being an interesting child amongst a few other things thrice; and I've recently helped organised a local team to go to a youth conference at the UN Headquarters and being amongst the first from my country to do so. I've also done it for three years in a row, but idk if that's worth mentioning as it was something you mostly just signed up for. I'm also taking a course for a certification in tech editing by the knitting guild association but it's a very niche thing... I guess it shows that I have hobbies?" Oh and I got a dux award by my school this year!

Do you think schools would consider out of school achievements? Sorry if it's a silly question but my school basically said they do not care at all about extracurricular achievements. I will put volunteering on my cv if it counts. I am decent at music and I was told I probably could have applied for a scholarship at my school, but we don't have music grades tho so I'm not sure if it's worth just saying that I'm in a school band, although that shows community work or integrating? I am good at a couple of things that aren't "schoolish" - do you think taking courses in things count?

Thank you! I'm so sorry that this is a wall of text again - you absolutely don't have to answer if you're busy or anything :smile: tysm already!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending