The Student Room Group

Poor mental health.

My mental health has been really bad. I have anxiety and I worry and overthink and get upset over things. It has been bad for quite a long time now (a few years). I feel I cant talk to anyone about it, because it's all in my head. I just spend my nights crying into my pillow and in the day force a smile on my face.
I was searching for things online and it said the first tip for good mental health is to 'accept yourself'. But what if I can't do that?
Even throughout this pandemic the feeling of uncertainty makes me feel bad too and it adds to my poor mental health
Original post by Anonymous
My mental health has been really bad. I have anxiety and I worry and overthink and get upset over things. It has been bad for quite a long time now (a few years). I feel I cant talk to anyone about it, because it's all in my head. I just spend my nights crying into my pillow and in the day force a smile on my face.
I was searching for things online and it said the first tip for good mental health is to 'accept yourself'. But what if I can't do that?
Even throughout this pandemic the feeling of uncertainty makes me feel bad too and it adds to my poor mental health

I know the feeling and it sounds like you’re going through a lot right now, i’m sorry to hear that. if it’s been going on for years it’s definitely something that needs to be addressed by a mental health professional. i’m aware the MIND charity is able to help you locate which mental health services are currently available to you.

Yes self acceptance is very helpful in bettering your mental health but if that’s too tricky to tackle, there are definitely other approaches. just because you feel unable to address how you feel about yourself doesn’t mean you can’t get started on a recovery journey. It’s definitely a lot easier to recover if you have the help of a professional though so i would certainly recommend contacting a mental health charity.

For the time in between now and getting help i’d say the most useful tactic is using healthy distractions. try and do things you enjoy doing such as any old hobbies you had before you began to feel this way or go on walks in pretty areas. try your best to surround yourself with nature and wholesome content. I’ve found that going for walks in my local park are doing me a lot of good as well as trying to avoid negative media. as much as you may not feel like doing it, it’s proven that doing the opposite of what your depression wants you to do (stay in bed, not wash, avoid daily chores) is actually the best way of feeling better. stay safe and take care
Reply 2

I was in the same position a few minutes ago. I was panicking because I kept oversleeping my lessons and my teachers were getting annoyed so I stayed awake the entire night so that I wouldn't oversleep. it worked but I had another lesson at 2 pm that day and couldn't focus on it. I was very negative.
Fortunately, I found the one true resort for me. maybe you too! click me This is the most rejuvenating thing that isn't going to hinder you in the future as far as I am concerned. It may not be a be all end all but it will be the plaster to your mental wound :smile:

Hi,
Someone in my family is going through a lot that sounds pretty similar to your own situation. They only just admitted to how they were actually feeling about 2 months ago and are now gradually doing better. I had no idea what they were going through (they always seemed fine) but they didn't feel like anyone would want to hear about how they were feeling, which is not right at all as I wish I could have been around to talk more!! I would definitely recommend talking to someone, if you don't want to talk to someone you know, there are lots of mental health helplines to ring(a lot can be found on the nhs website). Even if you know you want to improve with your mental health, it can be so so hard to know where to start, so I get how you're feeling, but I would definitely recommend talking to someone.
Hope you feel better soon :smile:

Sorry to hear this.

You can call the samiritans on 116 123. Yiu can chat to mind online.

Take it easy and be easy on yourself.

If you need to talk to somone, feel free to pm me.

Quick Reply

Latest