The Student Room Group

Integration

Iam posting the pic of the question. I solved question (a). Not able to solve q(b)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Shas72
Iam posting the pic of the question. I solved question (a). Not able to solve q(b)

15898913442406156808057018804566.jpg
Reply 2
Original post by Shas72
15898913442406156808057018804566.jpg

The 11th question part (b) iam not understanding
Original post by Shas72

You know how for a graph of y=f(x)y=f(x), the notation

abydx\displaystyle \int_a^b y dx

can be interpreted as the signed area between the curve at the x-axis. Right?

In other words, more specific to your case, it will just be the area you measure from the x-axis up to the curve over the interval ln2<x<ln3\ln 2 < x < \ln 3.

The notation

f(a)f(b)xdy\displaystyle \int_{f(a)}^{f(b)} x dy

where x=f1(y)x = f^{-1}(y) on the other hand, still can be interpreted to be the area, but it's this time it is measured from the y-axis up to the curve.

Therefore, what you have is the following image, whereby the blue represents your answer to part (a) and red represents the integral in part (b)

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by RDKGames

abf(x)dx\displaystyle \int_a^b f(x) dx

In other words, more specific to your case, it will just be the area you measure from the x-axis up to the curve over the interval ln2<x<ln3\ln 2 < x < \ln 3.

The notation

f(a)f(b)ydy\displaystyle \int_{f(a)}^{f(b)} y dy

on the other hand, still can be interpreted to be the area, but it's this time it is measured from the y-axis up to the curve.

Therefore, what you have is the following image, whereby the blue represents your answer to part (a) and red represents the integral in part (b)

So do I need to minus the part (a) value
Original post by Shas72
So do I need to minus the part (a) value

From a particular quantity, yes.
Reply 6

abf(x)dx\displaystyle \int_a^b f(x) dx

The notation

f(a)f(b)ydy\displaystyle \int_{f(a)}^{f(b)} y dy

on the other hand, still can be interpreted to be the area, but it's this time it is measured from the y-axis up to the curve.

So when I try to do I get ln3-ln2 which is ln(3/2)
Original post by Shas72
So when I try to do I get ln3-ln2 which is ln(3/2)

Are you just guessing? What are you calculating? Be clear, I can't read minds.
Reply 8

When I did question (a) I got 1
Reply 9

I could do question (a) by applying the concept of integration. I dont understand the b part
Original post by Shas72
I could do question (a) by applying the concept of integration. I dont understand the b part

I explained what it represents visually.

Rather than integrating directly, you should use the concept I have explained to you.

Look, the red + blue areas make up an L shape overall. You can easily determine the area of an L shape -- you do this at GCSE level.

So figure that out, and if you subtract the blue area from this, you get the red area, hence the integral.
Reply 11

e^x=y
X=ln y
So I put integration x^1.dy
Reply 12

Rather than integrating directly, you should use the concept I have explained to you.

Look, the red + blue areas make up an L shape overall. You can easily determine the area of an L shape -- you do this at GCSE level.

So figure that out, and if you subtract the blue area from this, you get the red area, hence the integral.

Ok let me try
Reply 13

abydx\displaystyle \int_a^b y dx

The notation

f(a)f(b)xdy\displaystyle \int_{f(a)}^{f(b)} x dy

where x=f1(y)x = f^{-1}(y) on the other hand, still can be interpreted to be the area, but it's this time it is measured from the y-axis up to the curve.

So according to what you say I did area red= ln3×1= ln 3
Area blue= (ln 3-ln2)×2
So it will be ln9-ln4
Reply 14

Red + blue area I get ln(27/4)
I dont understand after this
Reply 15

I tried but not getting it
Original post by Shas72

can you not jus try integration by parts?
actually no don’t try that
Reply 18
Original post by blackmichael
can you not jus try integration by parts?

I dont know how to do that as it's not taught
Original post by Shas72

need to do big rectangle - small rectangle - blue area

Quick Reply

Latest