The Student Room Group

Study a Master of Public Administration (MPA) in the UK

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about studying a MPA in the UK next year but I am not sure weather to tend to Birmingham, York or Nottingham.
LSE is highly cost intensive and UCL has a strong focus on technology, which is why I am not planning to apply to these programs.

Among Birmigham, York and Nottingham what do you think is the best option regarding employer reputation and quality of the program?

Thanks for your help!
Reply 1
No one? Do you think a MPP is the better option?
Hey man, I'm kinda in the same boat!

I've applied for all three universities and gotten offers from Nott and York. I'm waiting out for Birm atm but I'm kinda stuck. I'm not sure concerning employer reputation and quality of program as I will be an international student. The domestic tables seem to depict that York and Birm > Nott.

However, to what I've managed to ask of friends, Nott is pretty reputable as a uni. And it holds better than Birm and York as well. But I'm kinda in a fix too, just kinda unsure what to choose. Have you had any more information, or made up your mind yet?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Dr. Feelgood
Have you had any more information, or made up your mind yet?

Unfortunately not... Actually I am not even applying this year but only making up my mind where to apply next year...
From my understanding Birm, York and Not are all quite good universities. I did write here to get any information from people attending the unis or even the mentioned programs, but maybe I did not ask wright... :-P
Original post by Ringo3
Unfortunately not... Actually I am not even applying this year but only making up my mind where to apply next year...
From my understanding Birm, York and Not are all quite good universities. I did write here to get any information from people attending the unis or even the mentioned programs, but maybe I did not ask wright... :-P

Easy as, buddy. I might be headed to Notts, by the looks of it. I'll let you know how that goes.
Stay safe :wink:
Reply 5
Easy as, buddy. I might be headed to Notts, by the looks of it. I'll let you know how that goes.
Stay safe :wink:

Hey! What did you end up choosing? I applied to the one in Birmingham a few weeks back (Sept 2021) and received a conditional offer today!
Hey, what's up buddy!
It's been a minute, hey? How are you, I hope the pandemic isn't being too hard on you.

Congratulations on the offer!! Also, contrary to what I said, I actually received an offer from Birm and am currently studying here. :smile:
Reply 7
Hey, what's up buddy!
It's been a minute, hey? How are you, I hope the pandemic isn't being too hard on you.

Congratulations on the offer!! Also, contrary to what I said, I actually received an offer from Birm and am currently studying here. :smile:

Hey, I’m not too bad! I’m out here surviving lol, how bout you? How are you keeping?

Thank you very much!
Oh really? That’s great! What’s the course like and your overall experience (accommodation, the city, costs?)
Original post by coG4
Hey, I’m not too bad! I’m out here surviving lol, how bout you? How are you keeping?

Thank you very much!
Oh really? That’s great! What’s the course like and your overall experience (accommodation, the city, costs?)

That's good man, that's really good. I'm glad that you're keeping well.
You're most welcome!
The course is pretty dope but bear in mind, it's an intense course. So you'll be working your ass off for the year. But it's good, really relevant and the opportunities are pretty dope too. I can't say too much about the city as we are just coming out of lockdown. But accomodation is pretty good, costs might be slightly expensive as well but if you manage your funds, you can have fun and get by decently.
Reply 9
Hi!Honestly I’ve changed my mind regarding the new tuition fees. I will do my masters in Spain... 😅But from what I’ve read I would also say that Nottingham is a quite good place.I guess it also depends on your preferences regarding the study focus. York and Born seem to have a strong Econ part whereas Nottingham is more focused on Public management...I also would decide on the basis of the city itself. I’ve been to Birm for a few days and found it to be quite horrible to live in. I guess York and Nottingham are better options with regards to cultural life. This is of course a very personal impression...Wish you all the best for your studies!
Reply 10
Original post by Ringo3
Hi!Honestly I’ve changed my mind regarding the new tuition fees. I will do my masters in Spain... 😅But from what I’ve read I would also say that Nottingham is a quite good place.I guess it also depends on your preferences regarding the study focus. York and Born seem to have a strong Econ part whereas Nottingham is more focused on Public management...I also would decide on the basis of the city itself. I’ve been to Birm for a few days and found it to be quite horrible to live in. I guess York and Nottingham are better options with regards to cultural life. This is of course a very personal impression...Wish you all the best for your studies!

Very insightful! Thank you very much!🙂

Best of luck with your Masters in Spain!
Reply 11
That's good man, that's really good. I'm glad that you're keeping well.
You're most welcome!
The course is pretty dope but bear in mind, it's an intense course. So you'll be working your ass off for the year. But it's good, really relevant and the opportunities are pretty dope too. I can't say too much about the city as we are just coming out of lockdown. But accomodation is pretty good, costs might be slightly expensive as well but if you manage your funds, you can have fun and get by decently.

That’s great! Yeah I’m expecting the workload to be intense hahahaha.
I’m really excited though, to be starting in September and hopefully meeting those on that course face to face! Hopefully it will be worth it in the end!

Do you know of there’s a study visit or is that cancelled due to COVID?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending