The Student Room Group

What now?

Due to various medical conditions and disabilities I have told myself that being a working person is nearly impossible. I'm 24 and have no idea what to do next? I'm tired of spending all day in my room :frown:
Contact a work advisor. Or look up benefit and employment help online. Best of luck.
Reply 2
Depending on your disability/limitations, you may be able to work (with or without adjustments). Might be worth speaking to a careers advisor who has an understanding of disability or Citizens Advice, etc.
Original post by Pathway
Depending on your disability/limitations, you may be able to work (with or without adjustments). Might be worth speaking to a careers advisor who has an understanding of disability or Citizens Advice, etc.

Thank you for your reply, I've never lasted more than a day at any job I've ever held. I have Asperger's Syndrome which manifests primarily as a social disability, and severe ADHD which makes working very tedious. I also have extreme anxiety and I have psychosis for which I'm on medication for. I'm also paranoid. As you can imagine this makes me not very employable, why would an employer ever hire me? I suck at working.

I'm thinking of going to the OU?
Reply 4
Original post by AnotherLondoner
Thank you for your reply, I've never lasted more than a day at any job I've ever held. I have Asperger's Syndrome which manifests primarily as a social disability, and severe ADHD which makes working very tedious. I also have extreme anxiety and I have psychosis for which I'm on medication for. I'm also paranoid. As you can imagine this makes me not very employable, why would an employer ever hire me? I suck at working.

I mean, I can't really say if that would put an employer off in terms of employing you. I do get it though. I can't work due to disability (I'm in the Support Group of ESA).Your worth is not defined by what you can/can't do. I hope you know that.

OU might be a good option, a friend of mine is doing her degree through them.

Are you getting any support for your mental health problems?
Original post by Pathway

Original post by Pathway
I mean, I can't really say if that would put an employer off in terms of employing you. I do get it though. I can't work due to disability (I'm in the Support Group of ESA).Your worth is not defined by what you can/can't do. I hope you know that.

OU might be a good option, a friend of mine is doing her degree through them.

"Your worth is not defined by what you can/can't do." Thanks that's really helpful. Do you mind me asking what do you do to fill up your days? I sleep late and wake late, I have no interest in socializing, it terrifies me and my friends are all normal so to speak. I have nothing to contribute because I'm at home all day which makes me feel very self conscious. Especially while others are working and have girlfriends. Sorry for bothering and thanks for the replies!
Reply 6
Original post by AnotherLondoner

"Your worth is not defined by what you can/can't do." Thanks that's really helpful. Do you mind me asking what do you do to fill up your days? I sleep late and wake late, I have no interest in socializing, it terrifies me and my friends are all normal so to speak. I have nothing to contribute because I'm at home all day which makes me feel very self conscious. Especially while others are working and have girlfriends. Sorry for bothering and thanks for the replies!

You're not bothering me, if you wanna talk, drop me a message. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest