The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Is queens belfast diverse?

Hi I’ve recently had my place at queens belfast confirmed which I’m of course really happy about however being mixed race and with everything going on at the moment I am worried about the diversity of queens. From my experience visiting friends at uni/opens days etc there tends to be much less diversity in red brick uni’s. I’m aware this is something they’ve been trying to tackle for a long time but no doubt there are still issues stemming from this. If anybody has thoughts on this from their own experiences at university please let me know. I’m worried that I will feel out of place and just want a bit more information/opinions on the overall ‘vibe’ of Queens. I just want to make sure I’m heading somewhere I will be comfortable and welcome.
Reply 1
I am probably not the best person to answer as I was there a little under 10 years ago.

Looking back I don't think it is diverse but that is not because of QUB itself but because of the location. There is still a view that Belfast is a dangerous place to go when it isnt. In addition to this, you have a very goo to good univerities in Belfast compared to having 20+ in England, Scotland and Wales.
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
There might be statistics readily available on the racial background of students, if not you could make a freedom of information request. Northern Ireland is a very white place, but people's racial background shouldn't make you feel uncomfortable, if it does then maybe this isn't the right place for you. You also shouldn't make judgements about a place based on people's race.
how's the student life in Belfast? I'm applying for social work and I'm also worried about the racial aspect of it as Belfast isn't a diverse place
Original post by susie1234
how's the student life in Belfast? I'm applying for social work and I'm also worried about the racial aspect of it as Belfast isn't a diverse place

Hi @susie1234,
It's great to hear you're applying for social work at Queens!
Student life in Belfast is great! Belfast has won awards for its affordable living, its a really easy city to get around and the nightlife is great, but there's also so many places to go around the city.
The people in Northern Ireland are known for being friendly, so whether you’re making friends at university or simply chatting to the locals, you’ll feel at home here. You’ll also meet people from across the world at Queen’s University alone, there are over 2,900 international students from 85 different countries.

Carmen, a final year Law student from Malaysia, describes why she chose to study at Queen’s University Belfast:

"One of the reasons I chose Queen’s University Belfast was the diversity it has to offer. Queen’s is a renowned university and certainly has made its mark globally, where it has many affiliations with different universities from different countries. I knew this would give me an opportunity to be able to broaden my horizons and get to know other international people as well as the locals."

If you're looking to hear further students experiences of Queens and Belfast you can ask them here: https://www.qub.ac.uk/Study/connect/chat-with-students/

I hope all of this helps you feel a little bit more at ease! If you have any other questions I will be happy to help!

Team Queens,
Tyree, 3rd year Music and Audio Production
Hi Susie,
I’m a social work student and both the course and the university itself are very diverse. I travel from a small town so it’s a completely different world to where I live. Hope this helps :smile:
Good luck with your application 🍀
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by cholden24
Hi Susie,
I’m a social work student and both the course and the university itself are very diverse. I travel from a small town so it’s a completely different world to where I live. Hope this helps :smile:
Good luck with your application 🍀

Hi @cholden24,

I feel exactly the same way. I joined Queens in 2018 and I am now continuing on with my Master's. Moving from a small village, with little diversity I loved this aspect of Queen. Making friends with those who celebrate different cultures and being able to learn about different traditions etc.

My friend from Edypt had worries about diversity before attending Queens and now wants to settle here, 3 years later! This is something that may ease your stress @susie1234.

Many thanks,
Team Queens, Niamh
Broadcast production and Media MA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending