The Student Room Group

How to prepare for psychology A-level?

I'm currently in year 11 and I plan on taking psychology at college. I also took psychology at GCSE so I understand the basics of the subject. I was wondering if anyone has any tips/websites/ideas for how I can be prepared as possible for next year. I have no exams (obviously) so I now have lots of free time to work!
imo dont take it unless you ENJOY it its horrible.
If not id suggest getting the textbook for aqa and start to make notes on ao1 and ao3 so you wont have to worry about them later
Reply 2
Original post by Bilbocat
I'm currently in year 11 and I plan on taking psychology at college. I also took psychology at GCSE so I understand the basics of the subject. I was wondering if anyone has any tips/websites/ideas for how I can be prepared as possible for next year. I have no exams (obviously) so I now have lots of free time to work!

Hey, have a look at the college website and the modules you will be carrying out throughout your time. From this you might find interesting topics or modules which you can then research more into to prepare yourself? Additionally, you could email the college, or if you know the tutor, asking if there are any good resources or textbooks that you could get to prepare?
Original post by zoea20
Hey, have a look at the college website and the modules you will be carrying out throughout your time. From this you might find interesting topics or modules which you can then research more into to prepare yourself? Additionally, you could email the college, or if you know the tutor, asking if there are any good resources or textbooks that you could get to prepare?

Thanks for you help :smile:
Original post by User2127891510
imo dont take it unless you ENJOY it its horrible.
If not id suggest getting the textbook for aqa and start to make notes on ao1 and ao3 so you wont have to worry about them later

Did you take it for GCSE as well?
Original post by Bilbocat
Did you take it for GCSE as well?

no but i have a few friends who did and they wish they never took it for alevel :frown:
i'll tell you straight up: psychology will be a bore unless you genuinely are interested in it/require it for whatever higher education path you wish to take

maybe read the bps (british psychological,,,society?) they have a newsletter with interesting cases if you're bored.

imo i wouldn't bother prepping for y12 lessons as per, maybe familiarise yourself with your spec. don't teach yourself the a level content now as it'll be hard and make you more bored when you come to learning it in year 12.

Quick Reply

Latest