The Student Room Group

How can I improve my chances of getting accepted into a psychology degree at uni?

My A levels are History, Art History, Spanish and Chemistry (at my sixth form you have to do 4 and you can't drop any). I wanted to ideally do Biology instead of Art History but at my school if you do two sciences you have to do Maths A Level as well which I am not prepared to do since I really think I would do a lot worse in that than in my other 3, and I think its better to do well in all 4 rather than super well in some but worse in others. I have already done a little bit of maths a level in further maths GCSE (A grade achieved). I suppose essay subjects are good too?
I am about to join a Psychology society at school where you each take turns making presentations about it etc. Other than that, not sure what else I should do.
Ive started reading a bit of a psychology textbook for As level AQA, and I plan on reading lots of books/articles to do with psychology. Are there any sort of psychology work experience placement things I could do? Or anything specific I guess I have no idea tbh.
Original post by laundrybasket
My A levels are History, Art History, Spanish and Chemistry (at my sixth form you have to do 4 and you can't drop any). I wanted to ideally do Biology instead of Art History but at my school if you do two sciences you have to do Maths A Level as well which I am not prepared to do since I really think I would do a lot worse in that than in my other 3, and I think its better to do well in all 4 rather than super well in some but worse in others. I have already done a little bit of maths a level in further maths GCSE (A grade achieved). I suppose essay subjects are good too?
I am about to join a Psychology society at school where you each take turns making presentations about it etc. Other than that, not sure what else I should do.
Ive started reading a bit of a psychology textbook for As level AQA, and I plan on reading lots of books/articles to do with psychology. Are there any sort of psychology work experience placement things I could do? Or anything specific I guess I have no idea tbh.

Make sure you keep chemistry. Many unis want at least one science for psychology.
I agree with the above poster about chemistry. I think you should definitely keep reading around the subject.
And look at the different courses available. Look at the modules and research what they involve and what you would particularly like to study

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/search/course?c%5Bacademic_years%5D=2023&c%5Bq%5D=psychology
Original post by totallyfine
I agree with the above poster about chemistry. I think you should definitely keep reading around the subject.
And look at the different courses available. Look at the modules and research what they involve and what you would particularly like to study

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/search/course?c%5Bacademic_years%5D=2023&c%5Bq%5D=psychology

ooh yeah that's a really good idea about the modules thanks

Quick Reply

Latest