The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
River85
On the basis of GCSEs alone, not at all.

But then that's only because Oxbridge are far more interested in interview, A-level performance, personal statment....did I mention interview?

Not so much GCSEs. In a year's time you'll have more of an idea where you can aim.

yeah I absolutely know that. So if I get AAAa this time next year it's a real possibility? That's unebeivable. I heard the average oxbridge applicant has like 6A*s or something? Is that A*s as in admissions score of 6 or A*s and another number of As to go with that? Because my admissions score is 6.6 now I think? plus 1.3 because I come from a 40-50 pass rate school. Please tell me if i'm dead wrong btw lol
ffs dude..he just told you your gcse's do not matter, but they place a HUGE importance of interview/personal statement and obviously a levels.
Reply 22
All.
Reply 23
Tallon
yeah I absolutely know that. So if I get AAAa this time next year it's a real possibility? That's unebeivable. I heard the average oxbridge applicant has like 6A*s or something? Is that A*s as in admissions score of 6 or A*s and another number of As to go with that? Because my admissions score is 6.6 now I think? plus 1.3 because I come from a 40-50 pass rate school. Please tell me if i'm dead wrong btw lol

The average Oxbridge student may have 6 A*s, yes, but it doesn't mean they actually look for students with a string of A*s or that it's a requirement.

It's not suprising that so many do have great GCSE results, they are amongst the best students in the country (and many come from privately educated backgrounds) so it's to be expected.

They are more bothered with A-level performance, interview, references and all round academic potential. GCSEs and extra curriculars are of limited importance.

Other top unis will look at your GCSE results in greater detail but, even then, they aren't usually looking for strings of A*s. At least a C or B in english, maths and possibly a modern language and try and gather a handful of A*s and As if possible. This will satsify universities requirements on the vast majority of courses. Generally speaking your GCSEs are fine for any uni. Nothing more can be said until a year's time when you are certain of your course and have finished your AS'.
Reply 24
Beska
I only received 554. :huff:

Sats were horrible things. I got 345! I think the 3 is like underaverage or something so i felt a bit stupid! Then i came out doin completely fine!!!
Reply 25
prospectivEEconomist
I am going to uni this year. I was wondering what my chances for a PHD were if I obtained a first?

Why are you thinking about a PhD when you don't even have a master:confused: The master will more likely decide which school you will land up in for PhD.
Reply 26
OP, are you fishing for complements??
Reply 27
On a lighter note:

Studying the following A levels:
Maths
Further maths
Economics
Classical civilization

Classical Civilization??
Take Physics mate :p:
Or History.
Reply 28
Your gcse results are very good so....all of them? P.S. everyone on these forums are so sarcastic, why? lol
star_5
Your gcse results are very good so....all of them? P.S. everyone on these forums are so sarcastic, why? lol

These threads have been made loads of times and usually they're made by people who have just got GCSE grades... there's no telling until you've got AS grades really!
Reply 30
TI-84
OP, are you fishing for complements??

no I'm seriously not fishing for compliments because as I've already said I think (or thought?) oxbridge was out of the question. I agree though, that people on here with 5 or more A*s making these threads probably are looking for an ego boast.
Beska
I only received 554. :huff:

:frown: i only got 223

oh no, that was KS1 :redface:
i got 446 :p:
Uni sooo shouldnt be at the top of your list right now, concentrate on your AS levels then start searching! It depends what you want to study at uni, eg I wanted to do events management, and I got good grades at Alevel but chose a uni with low entry requirements because they were best for my course [however now Im there I now know the teaching is rubbish for mine,but some subjects are fine]
Reply 33
There really are a ridiculous amount of threads asking exactly the same question atm, Tallon. And they're all "I only got 10 A*s, will I even get an interview at Oxford?"

It gets a bit tedious after a while.

I pretty much always give serious answers to questions likle this, because sometimes even if we do know the answer, we need to hear it from someone else just to make sure. But now even I'm getting bored of it.

I suggest you wait until it calms down a bit, and then if you're still thinking about it, there's a thread dedicated to "are my gcses/a levels good enough for oxbridge."

Assuming everything else on your application is fine, then you have a good shot at pretty much all universities. Except for maybe medicine at the top ones. Medicine is ridiculously competitive. ...But I don't think you said you were considering medicine. So it's fine.
Reply 34
I was considering LSE for actuarial science but I think they are GCSE whores lol. Erm, i'm quite proud of my grades, and suprised, but I was seriously not fishing for compliments here whatsoever and I can see why these threads are annoying. i wasn't trying to show off or anything like that.

Would I need work experience or extra-ciriculars for lse? I've had no work exp whatsoever because I was in hospital at the time.
Tallon
I was considering LSE for actuarial science but I think they are GCSE whores lol. Erm, i'm quite proud of my grades, and suprised, but I was seriously not fishing for compliments here whatsoever and I can see why these threads are annoying. i wasn't trying to show off or anything like that.

Would I need work experience or extra-ciriculars for lse? I've had no work exp whatsoever because I was in hospital at the time.

BTW - what course is it you actually want to do?
Reply 36
SpiritedAway
BTW - what course is it you actually want to do?

Actuatial science I'm really sure I want to do but if that is out of the question I'd settle for a maths/finance type thing. But I've wanted to be an actuary for the last 6 months.

Sorry I can see why these threads are annoying, but my grades really aren't that great and I wasn't looking for an ego boast at all. I just want to find these things out, that's all.
Reply 37
we'll see. tbh I was only asking for advice here.
Tallon
we'll see. tbh I was only asking for advice here.

:hugs: don't take it too much to heart. it's just that....you're still really young in your education to be thinking about uni yet. sure, give it a few months and then begin, but even with all these A*s you haven't got a clue about A-level subjects. you don't know about the workload and unless you've done an A-level, you don't know how you're going to cope. you might have really good grades for your GCSEs, but GCSEs don't do students any justice because they are so easy in comparison. we don't know how you'll do. you don't know how you'll do. this is what we're getting at. there is no way to tell whether or not you'll cope with the jump. i've seen some of the most academically-able-at-GCSE people drop out of 6th form simply because they couldn't cope with the large jump. for all we know you might get your AAAa, but then you could also get DDDd or UUUu.
Reply 39
SpiritedAway
:hugs: don't take it too much to heart. it's just that....you're still really young in your education to be thinking about uni yet. sure, give it a few months and then begin, but even with all these A*s you haven't got a clue about A-level subjects. you don't know about the workload and unless you've done an A-level, you don't know how you're going to cope. you might have really good grades for your GCSEs, but GCSEs don't do students any justice because they are so easy in comparison. we don't know how you'll do. you don't know how you'll do. this is what we're getting at. there is no way to tell whether or not you'll cope with the jump. i've seen some of the most academically-able-at-GCSE people drop out of 6th form simply because they couldn't cope with the large jump. for all we know you might get your AAAa, but then you could also get DDDd or UUUu.

fair enough I see where you're coming from. I know I will work hard for A levels, I was just wondering what unis I'd be going to if I did get AAAa though. that's all, just for a hyperthetical situation type thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending