The Student Room Group

We shall never surrender...

We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills, we shall never surrender.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-london-53078991
(edited 3 years ago)
Oh yess... :yeah:
BBHE.jpg
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
Oh yess... :yeah:
BBHE.jpg

keep-calm-and-be-british.jpg
Good, it should never have been covered in the first place. We should not be hiding our history away. Whether or not you think Churchill was a hero or a villain he is a significant figure in British history who should be commemorated. That being said, we also need to edudcate about the "Other side" of Chcurchill as he did undoubtedly have some racist views.
Reply 4
Original post by Andrew97
Good, it should never have been covered in the first place. We should not be hiding our history away. Whether or not you think Churchill was a hero or a villain he is a significant figure in British history who should be commemorated. That being said, we also need to edudcate about the "Other side" of Chcurchill as he did undoubtedly have some racist views.

But, his racist views were overlooked at a time when he said them. People fail to realise that was what the world was like back then. He has been dead for the last 55 years and since then everything has moved on. I don't agree with his racism, all I'm saying is it was no big deal. This was his home, the place where he was born, worked and died, therefore his statue should never have been vandalised in the first place.
Original post by Braces
But, his racist views were overlooked at a time when he said them. People fail to realise that was what the world was like back then. He has been dead for the last 55 years and since then everything has moved on. I don't agree with his racism, all I'm saying is it was no big deal. This was his home, the place where he was born, worked and died, therefore his statue should never have been vandalised in the first place.

Well yes, by modern standards Churchill did have some reprehensible views and even back then it probably was not all rosy for him. I agree though, it is slighlty unfair to judge him by solely modern standards and vandalism of his statue, or any vandalism for that matter, is wrong.
Oh I understand why it was covered, my argument was that it should not have got to that stage.
Reply 7
I hadn't thought about it like that. But, I can see now it was for the best. It would've been a disgrace to pull it down, as the protesters done to Colston's statue, although I can see why they did that. Good reply btw.
Original post by Braces

Absolutely.
As I have pointed out in my replies to both Navarre's post and anime3gaming on the Society section "Should Churchill's stature be destroyed" some days ago we are all children of our times like it or not. Churchill and Gandhi were certainly products of theirs.
Regarding the anti slave protesters, instead of trying to rewrite history maybe they could put some emphasis on the likes of the present day mining of cobalt that is used in lithium-ion batteries on their mobile phones that they cannot do without it seems ? Much of this, as confirmed by Amnesty International, is mined in the Congo and Zambia by children as young as seven, twelve hours a day in life threatening conditions for a dollar a day. Does this not constitute slave labour ?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending