The Student Room Group

Early surrender of Tenancy

I’m not sure if it’s anything but I dropped out of university in June and told my landlord on the 24th of June before the tenancy started on the 21st of July it had an early surrender of tenancy but was never brought up and was told I have to pay for the entire year or find a new tenant is it possible to refute this or do they have a right to refuse me?
Original post by Adamcarroll99
I’m not sure if it’s anything but I dropped out of university in June and told my landlord on the 24th of June before the tenancy started on the 21st of July it had an early surrender of tenancy but was never brought up and was told I have to pay for the entire year or find a new tenant is it possible to refute this or do they have a right to refuse me?

Hi there,
I'd recommend checking the cancellation policy provided by your estate agent/accommodation provider. If you notified your landlord and by dropping out, were eligible to cancel your tenancy then this may be something to bring up. However, it's worth checking if anything else was required that you were not able to send (e.g. proof of you dropping out within a certain time period). If you were eligible, provided the necessary information and your request has been missed then you may have grounds, if not you will likely be expected to find a replacement tenant and your estate agent/accommodation provider should be able to advise on how best to do this. It may also be worth getting third party housing advice from the likes of Citizens Advice Bureau.

Hope that's of some help!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending