The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guessmyname123
Does anyone know if there will be online interviews this year?

most probably as oxbridge are doing so. not sure how it’ll work with mmi but im sure they’ll find a way

I know that St georges for example will give questions to the interviewees and they'll have to answer questions on video and then send it to them. And I am pretty sure all medical schools are having online interviews (with exceptions for certain people)

Imperial hasn't made an official announcement that I know of but I would be very surprised if not. Even if it is in person excpect masks and distancing!
If I'm predicted AAA and arent WP do I need to do even better in the BMAT to stand out or once you meet the a level requirements ( I know they dont ask for any GCSE's) do they look at everyone equally?
Original post by lewisedge
If I'm predicted AAA and arent WP do I need to do even better in the BMAT to stand out or once you meet the a level requirements ( I know they dont ask for any GCSE's) do they look at everyone equally?

As we understand it you are looked at equally, but read through this thread for the massive debate on predicted grades. If you want confirmation you should email them :smile:
Are you able to apply with AAB predicted grades?
Can you apply with AAB predicted?
Original post by Michaezzl
Are you able to apply with AAB predicted grades?

Please don't double post.

Do you think you can get A*AA if you're predict is AAB?

If you read the last pages of this thread, even people with predicted AAA are wondering if they will get an interview.

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)

No, the minimum is AAA. You would be automatically rejected I’m afraid.
Hello, everybody, i study biology chemistry and maths and I'm currently on 3A* predictions does that give me an advantage over a person with 3A or not? Thank you
Also does anyone know how the personal statement is used? Thank you
Reply 91
Original post by JoshWalters
Hello, everybody, i study biology chemistry and maths and I'm currently on 3A* predictions does that give me an advantage over a person with 3A or not? Thank you

No. They do not use A levels in shortlisting
Original post by JoshWalters
Also does anyone know how the personal statement is used? Thank you

It's not used in shortlisting :smile:
what are the main things I need to do to land an interview? Only good academics and BMAT? I'm thinking on doing an EPQ, I got a really interesting topic in mind but I don't know whether it's worth it and whether it will offer me a significant advantage over someone who hasn't done an EPQ... Advice would be appreciated :smile:)
Original post by helloeveryone :D
what are the main things I need to do to land an interview? Only good academics and BMAT? I'm thinking on doing an EPQ, I got a really interesting topic in mind but I don't know whether it's worth it and whether it will offer me a significant advantage over someone who hasn't done an EPQ... Advice would be appreciated :smile:)

Hi, I'm a final year at Imperial, as far as I know, only the BMAT is used to invite people to interview, assuming you meet the minimum GCSE requirements. From experience, an EPQ doesn't offer any advantage tbh. You could include it in your personal statement, but I wouldn't give it much attention there. It's more important to demonstrate your understanding of the role of a doctor in your personal statement, and the things you've done to prepare and develop your skills for a career in medicine. The personal statement is used in the interviews, but I doubt they would focus on asking you many questions on the EPQ given the shortness of the MMI stations. This doesn't mean you shouldn't do an EPQ though. If you're interested in something, then do it, it might give you a bit of understanding of certain concepts in medicine as well as the process involved in research (which some students get a chance to do in medical school, I've recently got published for research I've done + I'm currently doing more research a long side my final year studies). My EPQ included writing about conditions such as multiple myeloma and toxic epidermal necrolysis, which are 2 conditions you will learn about in medical school, so you might also cover content that will be important to know once you're at uni.

tl;dr, I'd recommend doing whatever prep you can for the BMAT to get an interview, and then after that, it's about impressing at interview. Do an EPQ if you're interested, it won't take up too much of your time, unless you're doing 4 A-levels in which case it might be a bit more busy

If you have any more questions, lmk, although bear in mind that I'm not involved in admissions so there might be things I don't know the answer to

EDIT: It might not even be worth putting in your personal statement at all because if you're in year 13, then you will probably have submitted your UCAS before you've done any meaningful work on the EPQ. But you could still mention it in interview if the opportunity arises
(edited 3 years ago)
Its impossible for me to express how thankful I am for this. Got a much better insight into what I should do in the next year and a bit!

Thing is I'm doing 4 a levels and I don't know whether I can handle it! This is the same case with others in my year.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to "impress" at the interview? Any long term/short term things that you could recommend I do?
Thanks a million again!
Original post by helloeveryone :D
Its impossible for me to express how thankful I am for this. Got a much better insight into what I should do in the next year and a bit!

Thing is I'm doing 4 a levels and I don't know whether I can handle it! This is the same case with others in my year.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to "impress" at the interview? Any long term/short term things that you could recommend I do?
Thanks a million again!

At the end of the day, it's up to you whether you want to do 4 A levels. I started doing 4 and dropped it for an EPQ so as to free up time, but I reckon I could have managed 4 in hindsight. Obviously bear in mind that doing 4 A-levels doesn't confer any advantage on you, so do 4 if you enjoy the topics rather than to try and look better on application.

Good question about the interviews. I did very well in my interview (resulting in me being awarded Imperial's top scholarship and being considered for a second scholarship - sorry for the flex lol), but it's worth noting that I applied 6 years ago and things have changed a bit since then (interviews were panel for us). Nonetheless, my top advice is to be as relaxed as possible (without being too relaxed obviously). Imperial was my last interview and by that time I had already been interviewed twice and rejected twice, so I just went in thinking that I'm probably going to be rejected for a third time so I might as well just take it easy and not fret so much over it.

My general interview advice is to make sure you know your personal statement well, so that if they ask you about anything you've written, you can elaborate on it more. I annotated my personal statement with potential questions they could ask on it and then roughly memorised some talking points for each question before interviews. Come up with a nice way of saying why you want to do medicine and why you want to go to that specific university, but do not memorise an answer word-for-word because when we interview, it is very obvious. Revise some talking points for common ethical dilemmas in medicine and know the basic principles of ethics (autonomy, beneficence and non maleficence and justice). Be up to date with current affairs in medicine. Know about the university you are applying for (e.g. how they teach, what opportunities they have to offer) and finally be roughly up to scratch with things like how the NHS is structured, the roles of things like the GMC, BMA, NICE, MDU etc and junior doctor contracts.

There's a lot there, and tbh, you won't need to know all of it. I reckon anyone could get in without knowing everything in as much detail as above. Also, you can cram a lot of it. Like I said, the most important thing is being yourself and just coming across as friendly
Original post by GANFYD
Imperial do not look at GCSEs or A levels beyond minimum requirements

Would they not consider AAA or A*AA or do they just reject them before reading them at all? How do you know?
Original post by Abu2020
Would they not consider AAA or A*AA or do they just reject them before reading them at all? How do you know?

We know from their website, FOIs, and emails to the university, so you could confirm this too doing your own research - fair enough not to just trust everyone on the internet but if you trust one person it should probably be @GANFYD :lol:

They will reject anyone with <AAA predicteds, and beyond than not consider A level grades (so A*A*A* = AAA as far as they're concerned).
Guys, when sending off our personal statement, does there need to be a blank line under each new paragraph when previewing in UCAS?

In word I have a blank line under each paragraph, but when I paste it into ucas it gets removed.

Latest

Trending

Trending