The Student Room Group

Can I secure a pupillage with a 2.1?

Hello,

so I just received my undergraduate degree results from the University of Glasgow and I secured a 2.1 (division 1-upper second class). I think its a high 2.1 as its a 17.1 GPA, im not sure.

I was really hoping to get a first as I aim to become a criminal barrister or join the CPS as a prosecuting barrister, but I understand how competitive it is.

I do have some work experience-Virtual work experience, volunteered with victim support Scotland, I've done quite a few mini-mini-pupillages, i'll be applying for a scholarship as well for the GDL, and I'm thinking of doing some overseas volunteering next year.

I am trying to build up on my experiences but do you think I have any chance of actually getting a pupillage. I am really passionate but just worried about wasting my time :/
Original post by anika_sohail2204
Hello,

so I just received my undergraduate degree results from the University of Glasgow and I secured a 2.1 (division 1-upper second class). I think its a high 2.1 as its a 17.1 GPA, im not sure.

I was really hoping to get a first as I aim to become a criminal barrister or join the CPS as a prosecuting barrister, but I understand how competitive it is.

I do have some work experience-Virtual work experience, volunteered with victim support Scotland, I've done quite a few mini-mini-pupillages, i'll be applying for a scholarship as well for the GDL, and I'm thinking of doing some overseas volunteering next year.

I am trying to build up on my experiences but do you think I have any chance of actually getting a pupillage. I am really passionate but just worried about wasting my time :/

Yes, but you wont know until you try. Remember it's fiercely competitive, but people do get them. Be realistic, but dont undermine yourself. Also if its in Scotland there cant be that many sets?
Whether or not you have a realistic chance of securing pupillage depends on a wide range of factors, but in and of itself getting a 2:1 doesn't make it unrealistic or even unlikely that you'll secure pupillage.
Original post by 999tigger
Yes, but you wont know until you try. Remember it's fiercely competitive, but people do get them. Be realistic, but dont undermine yourself. Also if its in Scotland there cant be that many sets?

so im actually converting to English law (by doing the GDL in September), and hoping to practice in Newcastle (fingers crossed) after the BPTC. I think I've decided to just go for it and see what happens.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Whether or not you have a realistic chance of securing pupillage depends on a wide range of factors, but in and of itself getting a 2:1 doesn't make it unrealistic or even unlikely that you'll secure pupillage.

thats a relief, haha. I've just been researching lots of chambers sites and many of the pupil barristers had firsts so thats what put me off!
so im actually converting to English law (by doing the GDL in September), and hoping to practice in Newcastle (fingers crossed) after the BPTC. I think I've decided to just go for it and see what happens.

Shoild eb a lot less competitive in regional sets. Try and get a mini P there.
thats a relief, haha. I've just been researching lots of chambers sites and many of the pupil barristers had firsts so thats what put me off!

I just checked a few sites in Newcastle and four of the eleven pupil profiles that I looked at got Firsts, which isn't unexpected. No reason from that to think you wouldn't be able to get a pupillage with a 2:1, but I'm going to make two more quick points. First, it's fine to want to practise in a particular city, but unless that city is London, you'd be unnecessarily restricting yourself by only applying to for pupillage in one city. I'm sure you realise this, but it's worth saying. If you do have a burning desire to practise in a particular area of the country you can always move after you've become a tenant or completed second six. Second, I entirely understand why students get hung up on the importance of degree result, but it is only one factor of many that goes into a good pupillage application. Does getting a First give you a better chance of securing pupillage? Technically, yes. But nobody has ever been offered pupillage because they got a First. It's because they performed well in interview after constructing a good pupillage application that included them getting a First. You can also construct a good pupillage application with a 2:1. Your time would be much better spent concentrating on what you can change and improve about your application rather than things that you can't.
I just checked a few sites in Newcastle and four of the eleven pupil profiles that I looked at got Firsts, which isn't unexpected. No reason from that to think you wouldn't be able to get a pupillage with a 2:1, but I'm going to make two more quick points. First, it's fine to want to practise in a particular city, but unless that city is London, you'd be unnecessarily restricting yourself by only applying to for pupillage in one city. I'm sure you realise this, but it's worth saying. If you do have a burning desire to practise in a particular area of the country you can always move after you've become a tenant or completed second six. Second, I entirely understand why students get hung up on the importance of degree result, but it is only one factor of many that goes into a good pupillage application. Does getting a First give you a better chance of securing pupillage? Technically, yes. But nobody has ever been offered pupillage because they got a First. It's because they performed well in interview after constructing a good pupillage application that included them getting a First. You can also construct a good pupillage application with a 2:1. Your time would be much better spent concentrating on what you can change and improve about your application rather than things that you can't.

Very solid advice!
Original post by 999tigger
Shoild eb a lot less competitive in regional sets. Try and get a mini P there.

No. Be careful. It'[s not a lot less competitive, it's just a different type of competition. Also, depends on what 'regional sets' you apply to. Be very careful of making the mistake that the only real destination is London.

This is actually great advice, thank you so much! you're definitely right, i think I definitely will consider applying to different areas as well rather than limiting myself.

I think work experience plays an important part in the applications? thats something im struggling with, im not sure what would make me stand out, I'm thinking of volunteering oversees with ICS for three months but I am still not sure. Also the only mooting I've done is two moot exams which I received A grades in, I will be doing the GDL at the University of law so hopefully will aim to join the mooting society.

Is there any work experience you'd recommend. it seems as though you have good experience in this area, haha.
This is actually great advice, thank you so much! you're definitely right, i think I definitely will consider applying to different areas as well rather than limiting myself.

I think work experience plays an important part in the applications? thats something im struggling with, im not sure what would make me stand out, I'm thinking of volunteering oversees with ICS for three months but I am still not sure. Also the only mooting I've done is two moot exams which I received A grades in, I will be doing the GDL at the University of law so hopefully will aim to join the mooting society.

Is there any work experience you'd recommend. it seems as though you have good experience in this area, haha.

As I've said a few times on here before, even if there was a sure fire thing that made applicants stand out, as soon as I told everyone what that was no one would stand out anymore because everyone would do it. I don't ever know what will make individual applicants stand out in a particular cycle, and different applicants stand out for different reasons. Broadly speaking, the best applicants on paper are those who demonstrate an understanding of what it is actually is to practise as a barrister, and evidence that they have the skills required to be a barrister. Bridging that gap between being a student and being a barrister is so important, and it isn't something that someone can just tell you the answer to. There's plenty that goes into it as well. Work experience is important and really you could potentially target any number of a wide range of things that could improve your application. But the most common mistake is applicants doing things so that they can put it on their application as if this is some sort of tick box exercise and you need ten points to get an interview. That isn't how it works. There are certain boxes you need to tick (such as good academics), but constructing a good application is less about doing things so you can put them on paper, and more about doing things because they advance your skills, experience and understanding, and then writing about that on paper. You can't bluff this. You actually have to have the relevant skills, experience and understanding in order to evidence it. So worry less about Chambers wants to see, and more about how you actually improve yourself as a candidate. If you focus on that, it should become much easier to construct a good application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending