The Student Room Group

Oxford confirms that 2020 admissions interviews will not take place in person

From https://www.oxfordstudent.com/2020/06/29/oxford-confirms-no-in-person-interviews-in-december/?fbclid=IwAR0vZM_vcgII0lELdwBoBmtaKXIfCPwUER-x7TT3OgHX0gk0gK8ep6RhWbg

"The University of Oxford has confirmed that all admissions interviews will not take place in person this December.

The Oxford Student originally uncovered this news in a leaked video from the Biochemistry Department, and it has since been confirmed by the University. The video was uploaded 11 days ago to Panopto, the software used for lecture capture.

The prerecorded talk was given by Dr Mark Wormald, the Admissions Coordinator for Biochemistry, and scheduled to go live on the 1st July, coinciding with the first of Oxford’s two open days, which are to be held virtually for the first time ever."
A sensible move to plan ahead.
Why not just stick to 2m social distancing? Online interviews would be a bit of a ****show imo. And why decide that now?
Original post by RedGiant
Why not just stick to 2m social distancing? Online interviews would be a bit of a ****show imo. And why decide that now?

I don't see what's wrong with online interviews. They already do them for international applicants I believe.
Original post by Lightning720
I don't see what's wrong with online interviews. They already do them for international applicants I believe.

Fair enough, I guess it’s better than no interview at all, but thinking back to my Cambridge interview they were pointing stuff out as I was writing the answers to questions down, etc, the close contact is a core part of supervisions/tutorials.

Hola RedGiant,

The main and compelling reason is public health: bringing nearly 10,000 extra young people into Oxford from all over the UK and beyond on public transport is unfortunately not an option at present.
Plus deciding to go remote now insures against a possible reintroduction of lock-down, anticipates interviewers who may be self-isolating, and maximises the planning period.

Brasenose Admissions
(edited 3 years ago)
Fair enough, I guess it’s better than no interview at all, but thinking back to my Cambridge interview they were pointing stuff out as I was writing the answers to questions down, etc, the close contact is a core part of supervisions/tutorials.

Consultation with selectors established that technical solutions exist to help tackle these issues and the best options are being identified ahead of December. Oxford has allowed time to pilot the options and reach an informed decision.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Hola RedGiant,

The main and compelling reason is public health: bringing nearly 10,000 extra young people into Oxford from all over the UK and beyond on public transport is unfortunately not an option at present.
Plus deciding to go remote now insures against a possible reintroduction of lock-down, anticipates interviewers who may be self-isolating, and maximises the planning period.

Brasenose Admissions

No obviously it’s not an option at present, but we’re talking about December are we not?
No obviously it’s not an option at present, but we’re talking about December are we not?

Unfortunately there won't be a vaccine by December and transitioning to remote interviews has a long planning lead-in time. There are some parallels with the decision the UK government took to cancel GCSE and A-level exams. Some decisions just have to be taken.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending