The Student Room Group

EPQ and Oxford University

Does Oxford University place value on EPQs?
Reply 1
Personally I don't think so beyond if it's between you and another candidate who doesn't have one, particularly if your grade is high in it. My year was slightly exceptional circumstances because I was the GCSE class of 2020, but I applied for Biomedical Sciences at Oxford with basically all 9s at GCSE, 4A* predicted A-Levels and an A* achieved in EPQ. They only looked at the admission test scores, so I was rejected before interviews.

As far as I understand, admission tests and predicted grades for 3 A-Levels including required subjects are weighted most heavily. Things like more than 3 A-Levels and the EPQ are just extras that might set you apart if the grades are high and the other candidates for that place either have lower grades or don't have those extras.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 2
I want to study in the OXFORD university for bachelor in business accounting I already completed my diploma in University of Goroka here in my country Papua new guinea and I obtain (4: A) but how may I apply?
Reply 3
Original post by NayRay
Does Oxford University place value on EPQs?

Original post by cyberhex
Personally I don't think so beyond if it's between you and another candidate who doesn't have one, particularly if your grade is high in it. My year was slightly exceptional circumstances because I was the GCSE class of 2020, but I applied for Biomedical Sciences at Oxford with basically all 9s at GCSE, 4A* predicted A-Levels and an A* achieved in EPQ. They only looked at the admission test scores, so I was rejected before interviews.

As far as I understand, admission tests and predicted grades for 3 A-Levels including required subjects are weighted most heavily. Things like more than 3 A-Levels and the EPQ are just extras that might set you apart if the grades are high and the other candidates for that place either have lower grades or don't have those extras.

Oxford doesn't value EPQs because they are the preserve of well-funded schools, and in doing so they'd be discriminating against many other capable candidates.

I suspect OP is asking because they plan to do one to further their Oxford application. I'd advise against this, for the reasons listed above, and due to the fact it's a rather large amount of effort for little reward - if you're applying to Oxford you unlikely need the grade-reduction offered by other universities for doing the EPQ.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending