The Student Room Group

Would people be interested in an alternative to University and Apprenticeships?

Poll

Would you be interested in the idea detailed in the thread

Per the title; I was just curious if people would be interested in a qualification which is half-way between a degree and an apprenticeship, that is to say it involves work experience as well as the receipt of a degree like qualification.

- Duration wise about 18 months

- Education more tailored towards jobs, generally speaking

Just a random thought I had.
Original post by stephx38x
Per the title; I was just curious if people would be interested in a qualification which is half-way between a degree and an apprenticeship, that is to say it involves work experience as well as the receipt of a degree like qualification.

Interesting. I guess the existing alternatives would be degree apprenticeships and higher levels of BTEC qualifications

like a degree apprenticeship?
Reply 3
Original post by mnot
like a degree apprenticeship?

Kind of but the educational aspect would be more work driven and a lot shorter duration wise (18 months as opposed to 3 to 6 years).
Reply 4
Original post by dxvid
Interesting. I guess the existing alternatives would be degree apprenticeships and higher levels of BTEC qualifications

Yup I was just curious if there would be an appetite for something a lot shorter, cheaper, more focused towards work and perhaps include a soft skill testing element so as to serve as a better signal to employers.
Kind of but the educational aspect would be more work driven and a lot shorter duration wise (18 months as opposed to 3 to 6 years).

I think the educational aspects are very work driven. At least the ones I know.

Everyone ive met has been in engineering but they all do 4 days at work 1 day at uni, and are for the most post learning on the job.

It is a long time, but there is a lot of professional standards to learn and understanding & by the later years they are basically a fully practicing engineer.

Perhaps they just need to become more widespread, in more industries.
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
I think the educational aspects are very work driven. At least the ones I know.

Everyone ive met has been in engineering but they all do 4 days at work 1 day at uni, and are for the most post learning on the job.

It is a long time, but there is a lot of professional standards to learn and understanding & by the later years they are basically a fully practicing engineer.

Perhaps they just need to become more widespread, in more industries.

That sounds really good, I like the idea of 4:1 split of work to Uni.

I was thinking about this from more of a finance prospective, hence my naivety re the availability of engineering, I wonder if something similar is available for Finance?

I know the big 4 do their apprenticeships/ school leaver stuff but that is a little different as they work towards the ACA/ACCA and so there is no Uni/degree at the end of it.
That sounds really good, I like the idea of 4:1 split of work to Uni.

I was thinking about this from more of a finance prospective, hence my naivety re the availability of engineering, I wonder if something similar is available for Finance?

I know the big 4 do their apprenticeships/ school leaver stuff but that is a little different as they work towards the ACA/ACCA and so there is no Uni/degree at the end of it.

There are degree apprenticeships in high finance. I believe they mostly go into mid & back office roles but im not totally informed on these apprenticeships.
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
There are degree apprenticeships in high finance. I believe they mostly go into mid & back office roles but im not totally informed on these apprenticeships.

I wish I knew about these before I went to university, would have been an interesting option for sure!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending