The Student Room Group

What if you have not got into your 1st choice University?

Getting rejected from your dream university can be tough, but it's not the end of the world! In fact, it could be a chance to start a new adventure. Let's explore some alternative options for those who didn't get into their first choice university.

Check out other universities that have offered you a spot. Attend open days, talk to current students, and get a feel for the university's vibe. You might be surprised to find that you actually like this new option even better.

Take a look at Clearing. This is an official process that opens up a ton of opportunities. It can be stressful, but if you're organized and proactive, you can find a course and university that really excites you.

Consider taking a gap year. Use this time to gain work experience, develop your skills, or retake exams to improve your grades. It's an opportunity to build a stronger application for your desired course or university, while also exploring new interests and passions.

University isn't the only way to achieve success. Consider alternative routes, like higher or degree apprenticeships. Apprenticeships let you gain real-world experience while earning a debt-free degree.

Don't let getting rejected from your first choice university get you down. There are plenty of other opportunities out there waiting for you.

Good luck and take care!

- Ilya:smile:

P.S. some of the information was taken from the following post. Take a look for some additional information:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice...ice-university
Reply 1
Original post by De Montfort University
Getting rejected from your dream university can be tough, but it's not the end of the world! In fact, it could be a chance to start a new adventure. Let's explore some alternative options for those who didn't get into their first choice university.

Check out other universities that have offered you a spot. Attend open days, talk to current students, and get a feel for the university's vibe. You might be surprised to find that you actually like this new option even better.

Take a look at Clearing. This is an official process that opens up a ton of opportunities. It can be stressful, but if you're organized and proactive, you can find a course and university that really excites you.

Consider taking a gap year. Use this time to gain work experience, develop your skills, or retake exams to improve your grades. It's an opportunity to build a stronger application for your desired course or university, while also exploring new interests and passions.

University isn't the only way to achieve success. Consider alternative routes, like higher or degree apprenticeships. Apprenticeships let you gain real-world experience while earning a debt-free degree.

Don't let getting rejected from your first choice university get you down. There are plenty of other opportunities out there waiting for you.

Good luck and take care!

- Ilya:smile:

P.S. some of the information was taken from the following post. Take a look for some additional information:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice...ice-university

Thank you for your advice. I don't think I even have a dream uni despite making my firm and insurance choices already.

One of the unis I applied to rejected me but it was probably a good thing because the location is terrible (in a town with nothing much around).
Original post by Andi.0k
Thank you for your advice. I don't think I even have a dream uni despite making my firm and insurance choices already.

One of the unis I applied to rejected me but it was probably a good thing because the location is terrible (in a town with nothing much around).

Hey there,

I appreciate your response. It's okay not to have a dream university in mind. Rejection from a university with an unsuitable location could be luck:biggrin:. Explore your other options, attend open days, and talk to current students to find a better fit. Don't let it get you down—there are plenty of opportunities out there waiting for you.

Good luck!

- Ilya:u:
Reply 3
Hey there,

I appreciate your response. It's okay not to have a dream university in mind. Rejection from a university with an unsuitable location could be luck:biggrin:. Explore your other options, attend open days, and talk to current students to find a better fit. Don't let it get you down—there are plenty of opportunities out there waiting for you.

Good luck!

- Ilya:u:

Thanks. Sometimes it feels like I'm forcing myself to go and idk if I even want to get into my firm BC my insurance is in Scotland which is where I really wanted to go.
Original post by Andi.0k
Thanks. Sometimes it feels like I'm forcing myself to go and idk if I even want to get into my firm BC my insurance is in Scotland which is where I really wanted to go.

You can ring up ucas to swap your firm and insurance over up until mid July. If you want to go to Scotland then do it!
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
You can ring up ucas to swap your firm and insurance over up until mid July. If you want to go to Scotland then do it!

I am considering it but my firm is a better uni for what I want to do and also in general
Original post by Andi.0k
I am considering it but my firm is a better uni for what I want to do and also in general

If you’d be happier and more likely to thrive at your insurance then that’s more important. Employers employ YOU not your degree or university.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
If you’d be happier and more likely to thrive at your insurance then that’s more important. Employers employ YOU not your degree or university.

Idk if I would prefer my insurance BC I haven't visited it. I just know I would prefer Scotland over England
Original post by Andi.0k
Idk if I would prefer my insurance BC I haven't visited it. I just know I would prefer Scotland over England

Hi @Andi.0k :smile:

So maybe it is time to pay them a visit?:biggrin:

Good luck,
- Ilya :wink:
Reply 9
Hi @Andi.0k :smile:

So maybe it is time to pay them a visit?:biggrin:

Good luck,
- Ilya :wink:

I really should but it's so far away :frown:
Original post by Andi.0k
I really should but it's so far away :frown:

Some universities (i.e. De Montfort University) provide students with discuounts for travelling during Open Days. Also, it is always a nice opprotunity to travel around the country, see new places, meet new people :smile:

Take care,
- Ilya :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending